Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CAT 701 measures?

Author Topic: CAT 701 measures?
Devriendt Miguel
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2000 06:00 AM      Profile for Devriendt Miguel   Email Devriendt Miguel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
where considering to buy a few cat 701, but
we can't find the exact measures anywhere,
can you please post these measures, because we are currently mounting the dts readers and we need to know if we have space enough to place it.
Oh, did you guys have already had probs with the alining(?) of the film and the readers?
Do you have hints, tips?
tx

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-22-2000 01:17 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
try: http://www.dolby.com/cinema/

Click on the general spec's or download the .pdf file.

Devriendt Miguel
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2000 03:01 PM      Profile for Devriendt Miguel   Email Devriendt Miguel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nope they aren't on it

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-22-2000 04:28 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the reader has several holes on the top and bottom for mounting, knowing the exact dimensions is not required. You tell your equipment dealer what projector you have and they should know how to mount it. Or you could tell us here, and we can help you. If you think you need to make your own custom adapter plate for a special reason, you should contact Dolby directly to get exact dimensions. They are very good about that kind of thing and I sure it would be no problem. Some people like to keep the magazines on the projector, but with a Dolby and DTS reader stacked up, it gets to be a tricky mounting. Mostly, it seems that the firetrap rollers get in the way somehow. You might want to consiter a mounting bracket that Kelmar makes, where one 'standard' bracket is mounted on the projector, and you insert the one reader you need.
Look at: http://www.kelmarsystems.com/page19.html

Most Dolby readers are mounted such that the reader is 'closest' to the projector, since a Dolby reader is much larger. (You apparently are not using SDDS an all.) For example, (if you also had DTS) the film would pass through the DTS reader, then the Dolby.

I have heard of problems when the film is threaded through both (DTS and Dolby) readers, and you are running DTS. It does not happen all the time, and depends of what kind of projector, etc. The film 'bounces' while going through the Dolby reader and the slight speed variations screw up the DTS. So you might want to try it and see. If so, perhaps you can figure out a way to thread only the DTS reader when needed.

There are many different projectors, mounting methods, and so forth that unless you tell us details, it's tough to suggest a good solution.

Is the booth ceiling low? At a place I know, after they mounted a DTS, Dolby and an SDDS, the reel arm would hit the ceiling. They had to cut it shorter.

Is the projector on an steep angle? Same thing as above, only the magazine hit the wall. They couldn't pull the projector away from the wall, because the port window was too small and high. So they got that Kelmar bracket.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-22-2000 04:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
John, mount the DTS reader upside down ala reverse scan and the bounce is completely eliminated. Here's a shot of all 3 stacked where all are threaded and nothing is bypassed. It makes the operator's job easier is a large plex because he doesn't have to remember which to thread and which to bypass and which WAY to bypass.

If you don't have an SDDS unit, just pretend the SRD reader is in place of the SDDS unit below the DTS reader.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-22-2000 11:35 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's pretty cool! And there's even room for a film cleaner.

Did you have to drill and tap or hacksaw anything to get it to fit, or will that arrangement just bolt together?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-22-2000 11:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need to do anything at all. Just literally flip the DTS reader upside down and swap the shafts (to mount the auxiliary DTS roller on the other idler roller) and that's all you need. There is no modifications to the SRD or SDDS reader or mount whatsoever. Plus, since the film path is extremely short due to it following the "right side" of the penthouses (and not looping back over to the left side to enter the DTS and back over to the right side to enter the SDDS) you can run through ALL 3 of the digital readers, even on top of a 70mm magnetic penthouse, and still not run out of delay line in the processors. This allows a dual digital with 3rd SR failsafe configuration!

Andrew D'Vrey
Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2000 01:19 AM      Profile for Andrew D'Vrey   Email Andrew D'Vrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, personally, don't like running through multiple readers. It just irks me. Takes longer to thread too (I'm kinda lazy). Sort of a play off "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" I wouldn't want to see a brain wrap yankin' any more rollers than necissary.

We use The Docker that John Walsh mentioned. However we also mount our digital processors on moveable soundracks and connect them with Digital Interface Kits. It's a bit more expensive than permanently mounting processors and readers, but offers the ultimate in felxibility, which I think is the point of multiple reader formats.

------------------
"And the monkey flips the switch."
- Major Don West, "Lost In Space"

Andrew D'Vrey
IATSE Local 219

Bill Purdy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2000 10:50 AM      Profile for Bill Purdy   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Purdy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As you are in Europe, I would suggest that you contact Dion Hansen at Dolby, London, because he will surely know how to work with your projector.

------------------
Bill Purdy
Comonent Engineering

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: