Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dear Technicolor... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dear Technicolor...
Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2000 04:47 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for sending us our print of Down To You in a cardboard box without reels. I had a good time digging through other film cans to find empty reels so I can platter it. I hope you mail us 2 film cans and 5 reels so I can send it back to you or expect a black platic bag full of film labeled "Down to you" with airborne express stickers on it.

thanks again,
Tyler

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-21-2000 05:34 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Our print showed up at 10:30 this morning. It was supposed to be here yesterday afternoon. Then it was supposed to be here last night. Then we got the news that it'd be here at 8:00am. I didn't get to do any of my ususal Friday morning chores/repairs 'cuz I had to wait around for it. 9:30 rolls around and it's still not here. We call them and they give us this line of bull about the shipping clerk not showing up and the courrier couldn't even get the film. They said it'd be here at 10am. Well, it was snowing and the roads were pretty crummy so I'll cut them some slack on that 1/2 hour but STILL. What's up??

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2000 05:57 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tyler,

I'd love to see someone's face at TES if they got their print via "bag-o-film". But alas,they'd scrape it up,throw it on broken reels,and ship it to some other poor unsuspecting soul.

--Chris

Masao Garcia
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2000 06:39 PM      Profile for Masao Garcia   Email Masao Garcia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this happens at an average of one every three Technicolor films: at least one of the cardboardish bands attached to the heads of the reels will be loose and then be wrapped around another reel. WTF is that about? How does that happen? Does anyone else get shipments like this? Once, it was so bad that a couple feet of the actual films was dirty and scratched because it was also wrapped around another reel.

Andrew D'Vrey
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2000 12:39 AM      Profile for Andrew D'Vrey   Email Andrew D'Vrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got all three of my prints of The Green Mile on cores...what a pain. Maybe they ran out of crappy reels. :P

I always keep a couple reels that come apart (usually from technicolor ) so I can snap them on the cores. I make one of the managers put those on while I build the print.

------------------
"And the monkey flips the switch."
- Major Don West, "Lost In Space"

Andrew D'Vrey
IATSE Local 219

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2000 01:03 AM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I throw out the cardboard bands. They are just for inspection purposes anyway. I'm not going out of my way to put them back on when the film arives all shitty with lab splices 2 hours before the first showtime without reels AND Reels 1,3, and 5 tails out...

so it goes.

not as bad as 3 weeks ago when Reel 4 of our print of Stuart Little was in Spanish.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-22-2000 01:53 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're about to run a festival of Columbia classics for their 75th anniversary and thus, now have first hand experience with TES reels. I pity all those of you who have to deal with these 'reels' (I use that word lightly in this instance) on a weekly basis with unfair deadlines.

All these prints have your bands around them which as I've mentioned before, is not a system we use here in Australia. We actually label the leaders and tails of the print so that even if the last theatre used s**tty tape to secure the heads and tails and they go walkabout in the trunks, they are still attached to the actual print and thus it's easy to ID which reel is which.

With these bands, they have gone walkabout on the trip from USA but the leaders aren't marked so it's a hold onto your ass kinda thing and hope you've got all the reels in the right order at showtime. It's not even possible to use the old left to right in the trunks is 1-2-3 then 4-5 etc. as they are inserted using the old throw them in any old how and slam the door shut method.

Having not been raised using the bands, let me say...

I think they're a pretty stupid idea.

----------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
Indiana Jones

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-22-2000 02:36 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funk the bands!!!!! I hate those damn things. If they actually DID ever inspect the POS prints they send me I would take them at face value. I chuck the bands when I undo the reels.

Oh yeah, I love it as well when they come in the can reels 2,7,5,4 then 3,1,6, and of course half tails out. And who is the dumbass that keeps cutting off the registration frames??? I never have time to see these films so how do I know that this is the right order they go in?

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-22-2000 12:41 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John -- regarding the Columbia fest: will you be running any of the cartoons? When I saw the Columbia cartoons as part of the Columbia 75th fest, there were a couple that I would swear are IB Tech, but I didn't go into the booth and bug the projectionist to let me look at the print...I'd love to know if they're really IB or just really good Eastman.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-22-2000 01:51 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About those cardboard bands.

When you throw them away, Technicolor replaces them with ... you guessed it.... a brand new set of BLANK BANDS. I've received probably half a dozen prints this way in the past 6 months. No reel numbers, no feature name, NOTHING. Not only is it a pain trying to find "reel 1," but more importantly, I gotta believe that blank bands could lead to reels from different prints getting mixed up (in the warehouse, that is.)

And, maybe the reason some of you are receiving film on "cores" is because of all the "professional projectionists" who are throwing away the crappy broken reels!

I say, put a piece of tape on the reel to hold it together. If a band is torn, tape it back together. Don't cut that string..."unwind" it. If you have to tape a band or a film-end down, use a NEW, LONG piece of tape. When you receive a print with blank bands, fill in the reel numbers. Do whatever you have to do to make sure the film leaves your theatre in as good or better condition than you received it.

Somebody ELSE besides you needs to use that film....and it might be someone like me, who is trying just as hard as you to put on a good show for the folks.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-22-2000 02:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

There is no way to tape a Technicolor reel back together. Would you rather open a can and see a bunch of film on cores, or open a can and see a bunch of film on reels, pull a reel out, have it bust on you and have some 2000 feet of film all over the floor? At least if there are no busted reels in the cane, you know in advance to be a little more careful. Besides, Technicolor is not supposed to let any print out of their depot without being on what they call "reels". Guess that just proves they aren't inspecting them!

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2000 04:45 PM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Masao,

Yes, actually, this mysterious winding of bands from one reel to another is quite common. My theory is that tiny ghosts or spirits of some kind are sneaking into the cans just before they get closed up at the lab. Then, during shipping, these imps amuse themselves by wreaking whatever havoc they can devise (i.e.: the aforementioned bands problem, tying the various strings into intricate knots, knocking one side off of half the reels, etc.). When the cans are opened at your theatre, these little beasties are then free to infest all of your equipment and cause similar problems with your projectors (they're obviously big supporters of digital projection). You, of course, don't notice this happening because you're distracted by the horror show in the film cans. This is the only explanation I have been able to come up with, since those wonderful inspectors over at Technicolor would never send a print out in that condition. Would they?

-Mike

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-22-2000 11:29 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of all the prints from technicolor that I have received, only eight have had the bands on them. 90 percent of the time I never get the bands but when I do they are all bent to hell so out they go. I only once recieved the bands in new shape when I had to have a replacement print of notting hill sent out. I don't know what the bonehead before me did to it but it was all bent out of shape and wouldnt stay in focus and the sound was all wracked to hell.

And technicolor burned me a brand new print. Only one nice thing they have done so far that I can come up with, that and the seven weeks in a row they sent airborne express to pick up Inspector Gadget when I had not finished with it yet. Then they would call me and ask If I was still running it. By the fourth call on that I replied "actually we cut it up into pieces and sold them as collector items". Why doesn't technicolor have a sense of humor?

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2000 01:12 AM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe in preserving and properly using the shipping bands, if they arrive in decent condition. I like receiving used prints that have all the bands intact and attached with the string instead of tape.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-23-2000 04:24 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<<regarding the Columbia fest: will you be running any of the cartoons?>>
Scott,
I'm not sure about that. As yet, none have showed up at least. If we do (though I doubt it will happen) I'll let you know. Have you seen the 75th anniversary Columbia tag? It looks great (on the bench, anyway).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: