Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SDDS problems

Author Topic: SDDS problems
Mike Colley
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2000 05:47 AM      Profile for Mike Colley   Email Mike Colley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed that not many people have favorable comments regarding the SDDS processor. I was wondering what the some of the gripes were. I have worked with these processors for a while and the main problem I have encountered has been with failure of the LED's in the reader. Has anyone come up with an alternative to forking over $520 to replace the assemblies after the voltage has been maxed? Also has anyone had a problem with audio dropout after the voltage levels are apparently set to 1V each side? If so, how did you deal with it? Final question: if not SDDS, then what is the digital processor of choice and why?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-21-2000 01:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no alternative than to purchase new leds. If they are installed and tweeked properly, the system will function with some degree of reliability, but beware for the all random spazz that is uncontrollable and only seems to strike on Saturday night.

DTS wins top honors hands down for the most reliable digital player. Dolby digital gets a VERY close second and wins out on ease of use since the audio is on the film. Neither one of these systems will "take over" your sound processor.

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2000 06:19 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do new installations STILL put SDDS readers on their projectors? It looks like if they are set-up for DTS and Dolby,why go with anything else?

--Chris

Andrew D'Vrey
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2000 12:58 AM      Profile for Andrew D'Vrey   Email Andrew D'Vrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My biggest gripe about SDDS is the placement of the soundtrack. It come in more contact with rollers such making it easy to get dirty. It's also the most likely place to get touched when handling film.

I love the 3000 processor. The trailer and print recognition and ability to specify volume settings for each is pretty cool if ya ask me. I like db fader readouts vs 10 scale volume nobs too.

I prefer Dolby Digital and DTS as well. I've always been a big Dolby buff. That and almost everything is released with Dolby soundtracks. DTS fairs very well with likely the lowest dropout rate. Although it has gotten better, there are still too many prints that aren't released with DTS timecode. Then of course there's Supernova, recently, which is DTS/SR only.

We have a pretty good system for audio racks using Digital Interface Kits, processor racks on wheels and quick swap mounts for readers. We have 3 Sony, 6 Dolby, and 9 DTS. The Sony's usually collect dust unless I'm having multiple units serviced out of house.

I prefer this to mounting two or three readers on a projector and this way the film isn't going through multiple readers reducing the chance of problems.

With moveable racks and readers we're never stuck with playing a print in a specific house because of sound format compatability or playing in analog alike.

That aside and back to the topic. I think SDDS could use a lot of improvement...soundtrack placement being the primary thing. But with proper film handling and cleaning techniques I think the format can be just fine.

Speaking of Supernova...can anyone remember a print released with SDDS (and SR of course) only soundtracks? I can't...hmmm.

------------------
"And the monkey flips the switch."
- Major Don West, "Lost In Space"

Andrew D'Vrey
IATSE Local 219

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2000 01:15 AM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We run with Dolby Digital in the majority of our houses and DTS in the rest (mostly the small houses) Only one of our big houses has SDDS but we usually don't uses it unless the film specifies to.
Case in point:
Magnolia said to run in Dolby digital first, then DTS and SDDS as a last digital resort, on the other hand Supernova only had SDDS and SR so we had to use SDDS (even though it didn't go in that house, and after one week we had it in our smallest theatre)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-22-2000 03:24 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are tons of prints released in SDDS/SR only. Well at least there used to be. Some of the ones I remember are:

Wagons East
Only You
Les Miserables
Anything else made by Sony, almost.

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2000 06:56 AM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found the 3k unit to work quite reliable, the 2k processor needs constant tweaking, the most cruicial part is that of videa level (1V). Even though rthe LED maker has changed, I have found them also quite short lasting.
More problems come from bad printing, I have often received prints, where specific reels were marked "This reel without SDDS (Dolby D)". In practice the reel had tracks. Only way out, switch manually to backup format and return after reel.
The problem in general is, theatre operators just start complaining on non working digital sound, but we rarely see some management holding distributors rtesponsible for immediate replacement. Dolby'Äs hint a one time given "simply play format 04 instead of 10" is no answer in our digital age.
Under normal conditions, an SDDS track should be readable aftzer 1k screenings without severe error correction, theoreticly.

How many of you have filed serious complaints at your distributer's head offices with CC's the the sound track equipment manufacturer, and to the head of the production company? I'd like to know. As long as there are no complains, labs get away with their lousy jobs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: