Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Crocodile Dundee

Author Topic: Crocodile Dundee
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-21-2000 02:30 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just received my print of the original Crocodile Dundee which I'm screening on Australia Day next Wednesday, January 26th at my outdoor cinema.

I'm pretty damn impressed as the print is mint brand spanking new never-been-off-the-cores!

Interesting thing so far is that it has a 2oth Century-Fox tag printed onto the head. Our distributor in Australia was Hoyts Film Distributors who are no longer in existence. I know Paramount picked up the USA rights, but does anyone know which country had Fox as the distributor?

It's a new one to me as I thought Paramount also picked up the international rights to the film.

Incidentally, I know you think there should be inverted commas around "Crocodile", but they were only added after the international sale. Apparently, Paramount execs thought without them people would think he really was a crocodile. True story.

John Wilson www.stardust.com.au

---------------

"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
Indiana Jones

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-21-2000 06:13 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hold everything! I think I may have an answer to the mystery. Perhaps this is the print that Fox Video ran off their copies from. Anyone know if Fox had this title on Video in Britain or the USA?

It's the "American" version, you see... and thus, obviously not meant for Australia.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-21-2000 09:40 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Video transfers are usually done off of an interpositve (low-contrast element) or internegative, not release prints. Thus, it's highly unlikely that you have the exact element that was run on the telecine system. It is possible, though, that the transfer was done from the same intermediate element that was used to print your release print.

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2000 04:44 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fox was the distributor of "Crocodile Dundee" in Sweden.

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2000 06:01 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some stupid mick put two dunnies in here!
(please forgive the spelling!)

Paul Hogan was good in that film. If I was closer to "down under" I'd swing by to see that one on the big screen John!

--Chris

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-22-2000 01:31 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<"Some stupid Mick put two dunnies in here">

Is that really what the US version says? In the Aussie version he says "Some dimwit's put two dunnies in here" Yet another change perhaps?

Chris, I'd even spring you a free pass...alright, two. Damn! You sure are pushy!

"FOR WASHIN' YER BACKSIDE, RIGHT?"

PS I've checked the track. It's not in Swedish.

-------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
Indiana Jones

Christopher A Kerr
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2000 01:19 PM      Profile for Christopher A Kerr   Email Christopher A Kerr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For all you Mick Dundee fans I have some good news!! I heard on the radio last week that the new "Crocodile Dundee in Hollywood" film is slated for release sometime next year. Paul Hogan will be returning to reprise his most (if not only ) famous role.

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2000 05:26 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<"Some stupid Mick put two dunnies in here">
Is that really what the US version says? In the Aussie version he says "Some dimwit's put two dunnies in here" Yet another change perhaps?

John,

I've checked with a couple other people and they say that's what it says in the US ver.

<Paul Hogan will be returning to reprise his most (if not only ) famous role.>

I dunno. I think he's got a following with those "Outback" SUV TV spot.

--Chris

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-23-2000 04:01 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gudday viewers!

Actually, Paul Hogan's more famous here in Aussieland for his TV show which ran here during the seventies and the early eighties. Even today, it is regarded as some of the best Australian comedy ever put on the tube. He had a skit type show playing many different characters with his offsider, Strop who was played by John Cornell. You may know that it was John who directed the second Dundee film. They made the last show about 1983 which I guess was when they went off to embark on the adventures of Mick Dundee.

The pair were also the faces of Winfield cigarettes in the mid to late seventies making some great cinemascope ads for the theatres. These guys could make you laugh more in a single minute ad than for the whole movie that followed.

When I picked up the print of Dundee from the Rimfire Films offices on Friday, the girl there said to this day they still get on average about two calls a day asking for permission to use footage from the TV shows.

-------------------------
Mick: "Mick Dundee"
Sue: "Never Never Safari's"
Mick: "Yeah...Never go out with us, if you do you'll never come back."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: