Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How Much Film-Guard

Author Topic: How Much Film-Guard
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2000 12:46 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just started using Film-Guard. how much do I use? How much do I squirt on the first, dry media? How much do I add to media that has already had Film-Guard applied to it?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-20-2000 02:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
With brand new media, soak the pads. When moving that cleaner to another projector (another print), resoak the pads. Make sure to toss the media once a week and start over. If using the same cleaner for an entire week, there is no need to resoak, just whenever the cleaner is moved.

"Soak"=literally soak 'em down.

Charles Lubner
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2000 01:04 AM      Profile for Charles Lubner   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Lubner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly what type of media cleaner do I need to run Film Guard? I got the approval for spending the money, now I just need to know what to order. I'm running a SimplexXL 1014 with a 5 deck Strong alpha platter.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2000 04:16 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just pulled out a load of 16mm prints that have not seen the light of day in 15 years. I loaded one up in my Eiki EX-2000A xenon, and it chattered like crazy.
I have a small rag near the projector that I put a small amount of FG on about 2 weeks ago. I attached it to the projector so that the film just touches it just before it hits the feed sprocket. The chattering has stopped completely.

I change the rag surface for each film.

I ran the first film again after the initial touch of FG without another application. It ran as silently as before.

I feel like I am doing an infomercial.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-26-2000 11:18 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my findings...

It's pretty hard to put too much FG on a film... But you CAN do it.

If you soak the pads when you first put them on, there's only so much they can absorb. Any more than and you'll (1) Make a mess when the FG runs all over the place. (2) waste FG all over the table top, etc. If you soak the pads down that first time and don't add anymore until they are dry, you almost can't go wrong.

If you get some REALLY dirty prints sometimes you'll have to change pads. The print that I got two weeks ago at M.H. College was the worst! I ran the print through the cleaner twice then changed pads. Even though I soaked the new pads, it still wasn't enough to cause problems. What I've been doing most of the time is using the pads from last weeks movie on the 'new' print for those first two run-throughs. Then I put new pads on and soak them. Prints are comming out cleaner than ever since I got the platter bracket. I can speed-wind the print through at double speed. That gives me twice the cleaning runs. The only time I don't use the old pads over again is when they get REALLY crummy...

This week I did have an incident where I was able to get too much FG on the film...

I built the print up and gave it the initial bath in FG, then changed the pads and cleaned it again. I had to leave for a few hours, so I left a note for the Work Study guy to 'clean' the print once more. I forgot to tell him that I already changed the pads so he put on a new set of wet pads. When we ran the print it got really jittery. It wouldn't stay steady in the gate even with the tension on maximum. (Simplex-XL) Even then it wasn't so bad... All I did was stop the projector for a minute and loaded up a fresh set of DRY media rolls. That was enough to 'soak up' any excess liquid on the film. Everything was fine after that.

Brad told me by E-mail one time... "The secret is to be lazy..." -- There's a certain wisdom to that!

PS: I don't have very good access to a digital camera. I have to borrow one from the computer office. Usually it's already on loan.

If I could, I'd take some pictures of the dirty media pads and post them...

Maybe Brad, or somebody else, could take some pictures of some pads in various conditions? (Such as: "Okay to keep using" -- "Time to change 'em" -- "So crummy you'll faint!")

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-26-2000 11:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right. With FilmGuard the secret is to be lazy...be very, very lazy!

I'll have to see about getting some shots to post. I've seen theaters run the pads until they were so gunked up and black I just knew the print would be scratched, but upon viewing, it never is. Good idea Randy.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: