Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film-Guard Sales (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Film-Guard Sales
Andy Davis
Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2000 09:02 PM      Profile for Andy Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This question is actually for Brad. I was curious how well Film-Guard is selling. Have any major theatre chains committed to using it in their theatres? I heard AMC was running some field tests. If this is true and AMC decides to use Film-Guard in all their theatres, it'll be tough to complain about their poor presentation.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-19-2000 10:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sales are very strong. Each month seems to be roughly doubling the previous month's sales. Some dealers are selling several cases a month, others are only selling a dozen bottles. Theaters in the northern part of the country seem to be the majority (mostly due to static problems I'm assuming), but it is being used everywhere.

It has not been "mandated" as a requirement at any particular chain, but it is available as a stock item to all of them except one...Cinemark. They are the only ones who are not using it. I find that odd, as they are usually more of a "cutting edge" company, or at least the company I "knew" was.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-20-2000 12:47 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some Cinemarks that are using FG. Erie, PA is one. I don't know exactly why Cnmk. isn't getting it but they haven't outlawed it either.

I am mail ordering FG, direct.

Nic Margherio
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2000 01:13 AM      Profile for Nic Margherio   Email Nic Margherio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC hasn't embraced FilmGuard fully, but it is available from our supplier, NCS. (Which, incidentally, is owned by AMC) But the only way I knew of it was through this website, certainly not from AMC. My theatre is the only one in the St. Louis area to use it to so far but our sister theatre will be implementing it very soon. Its probably just a matter of time before it catches on in the entire market. It will be a proud day for me when that happens as I was the person who introduced it to the St. Louis market.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2000 06:51 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can not find the international dealer of Film-Guard. He used to be listed on the Film-Guard page.

Is there any dealers of Film-guard in europe?

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2000 10:03 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am with Cinemark and I also care. I don't have to deal with the new color scheme because our theatre is using the new Gold / Maroon colors. Very Pleasing. Not like the NEON orange, green, purple.

We have been using Film-Guard and we have been able to get it direct from Film-Tech. Our workaround for now until direct stops in Feb is to get Direct from Brad and then petty cash reimbursement.

Also, we are continuing our efforts to make the product known and accepted. Tough road ahead.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2000 11:47 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to agree with Paul... the new Cinemark colors are VERY nice. I don't know if the Cinemark Legacy 24 in Plano (Cinemark's Headquarters) is a prototype or an example of their new "image" but I prefer it over any other chain's current image. I'd also have to agree that Cinemark is usually fairly cutting edge. Some examples:

They no longer install SDDS - Only DTS and Dolby Digital
They have one of the first Dolby Digital installations in the nation (Not THE first but one of them)and its still going.

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2000 06:15 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Cinemarkers!

What ever happened to "Front Row Joe"? I liked the "Joe" Policy trailers much better that the current "best seat in town" ones playing in my area.

Are the new colors going to make it to all locations in time? In KY,most are Barney colored seats and wall treatments. Well,at least the plastic ties and suspenders got canned. Not classy in my book. The new looks are better,IMHO.

--Chris

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-21-2000 11:40 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new "Cinemark Image" trailers stink. They look like some stock footage that's had a logo tacked on to the end and a voiceover that says, "Cinemark!... The best seat in town!" It could have been any theatre name inserted...

Carmike! The Best seat in town!
Regal! The best seat in town!
The list could go on and on. The point is that I don't think it's very distinctive at all. Okay, It's got a few special effects but that wears off after the first 9,000,000 times you have to watch it!

Okay, Front Row Joe was pretty cheesy, but he was a distinctive character. If I told somebody I worked for Cinemark, they'd often answer, "OH! You mean the place with the singing cats?" People remembered him! In fact, people used to stand up and sing the songs right in the theatre! I've actually seen a whole theatre full of people sing the "Starstruck" song!

Stephen Jones 1
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2000 06:22 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones 1   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Jones 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark has retired Front Row Joe and has adopted the new color scheme. All new Cinemark theatre are built in the art deco style (gold and maroon). The Legacy is a beautiful theatre and is not a prototype. In my part of the woods, Cinemark beats out the competition (UA and Carmike) in every aspect. I know Cinemark is not the perfect company, but they at least try to keep they're theatres in good shape. I have to say I liked the neon colors, but the new style is great too. You always know when you're in a Cinemark theatre. I too, miss good ol' Front Row Joe.
"Hey Let's party, Let's rock, we've got tickets to the Cinemark..."

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2000 12:02 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I oversee the projection staff and Maintenance of 3 AMC locations and have started ordering Film Guard as well. I liked what I read here, but wanted to get a "Testimonial" from someone I knew. Within a few days of the new year I heard from an old co-wworker of mine who loved it, and one of our Megaplexes in the area started using it with positive (almost rhapsodic) response. Needless to say, all three of my facilities have orders being processed

Neil Hunter
Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2001 06:08 PM      Profile for Neil Hunter   Email Neil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the only thing I can say that I hate about the "hollywood" line of Cinemarks is that when I tell people that I work for Cinemark, they say "Where?" I then I have to say "I work at Tinseltown." Then they say "Oh, Yeah, I know that place." Then I get the questions about Front Row Joe. Other than that, I don't really have any complaints about Cinemark.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-09-2001 01:23 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I am still "Out To Lunch" on Film-Guard, but I will admit my stance is weakening. But remember, it is not a "cure all".

Paul

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2001 01:26 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Certain Loews Locations (including mine) use it

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-09-2001 01:29 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, what does FilmGuard fail to help? Obviously it can't improve the ability of a projectionist, but what coud it be doing that it doesn't?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: