Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 5/16" or 1/2"?

Author Topic: 5/16" or 1/2"?
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-19-2000 07:48 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Walsh brought up an interesting point in the "film cleaner" thread: for those who work in reel-to-reel booths, do you prefer to use reel arms or magazines with small (5/16") reel shafts, like those used on shipping reels, or large 1/2" shafts like those used for 70mm?

I've worked with both; the 1/2" shafts are obviously sturdier and are designed for large reels; on the other hand, the 5/16" shafts are much more convenient for once-only shows. Obviously, the ideal booth would have both types available, but it would be kind of a pain to switch reel shafts and re-set feed and takeup tension between shows if, say, you have 7:00pm and 9:00pm shows on 6000' reels and a Friday/Saturday-only midnight show on 2000' reels.

This is an interesting issue for the low-budget independent theatre--it's easy to find 6000' reels relatively cheaply ($20 each or so), but they almost invariably have the large shafts; similarly, 2000' Goldberg house reels are a dime a dozen (except on Ebay, where people pay $70 each for them <grin> ), but I had a very hard time trying to find someone with a cache of 2000' house reels with large shafts. Obviously, theatres which always run 2000' reels would want the small shafts, but what about those of us who regularly used both reel sizes?

|  IP: Logged

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2000 09:52 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing nice about Norelcos is they have the quick change option. Loosen three screws and turn the shaft a few degrees and pull it off, put on the other shaft and your done. Maybe that option is available as a retro kit for your projectors.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-19-2000 10:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, if you run 6000' reels, run with 1/2" shafts. If you generally run on 2000 foot reels, run on 5/16" shafts. Magazines are better than reel arms, in general. For one thing, they aid in keeping the film off the floor. When ever possible, don't use round-thane, use "V" belts (or chains).

Back to the shafts thingy...

If you use Kelmar reel arms, it is possible to get the combo shafts. That is, get the 70mm shaft system but omit the 70mm shafts, get the 35mm 5/16 and 1/2 inch shafts and switch accordingly. They are held on by 4 screws. The clutch thing isn't such a big deal either. Take a measuring stick (or an old core) and mark on it where the tension nut is referenced to the clutch plate for each tension setting. You will be able to switch over in no time.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Erich Loepke
Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2000 01:44 PM      Profile for Erich Loepke   Email Erich Loepke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who has the "dime a dozen" reels for sale? I could sure use a few without the Ebay hassle.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-19-2000 02:00 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I had Kelmar reel arms w/ 1/2" shafts in a booth I used to run. I took all my existing cast 2,000 ft. reels and drilled them out to 1/2" on a drill press, right through the 5/16" hole. After drilling a hole for the driving dog, in the periphery of the hub, the reels were ready to go. I used them for many years.

Before doing this, however, the original dogs on the Kelmar reel arms had to be replaced with longer roll pins, in order to properly engage the hole in the small reels.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-19-2000 04:48 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a 5-cent solution that made Brad go... AAAAAAH!...

If you have 1/2" reels but only 5/16" mandrels, you COULD buy adaptor cores that'll make them fit but who wants to pay MONEY?

Take those cardboard cores from the Kelmar media rolls and cut them in half (longitudinally) and roll them up and use them as adaptors. You've probably got about 100 of them lying about and you don't want to throw them away 'cuz you might NEED them. Well, now you have a 'need'!

Of course this is only a "temporary" solution to get you through a pinch. You really ought to buy those adaptors! (Yeah! Right!)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-19-2000 05:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
A solution that made (past tense) Brad go AAAAAAH??? I've never heard of this. Doesn't it slip since there is no drive key?

Personally, I've known people who drill out the cores like Tim Reed mentioned above...and it works great!

I personally prefer 5/16" shafts because I don't like dealing with 2 different sizes and I will not be running 70mm reel to reel anyway. If anyone has a bunch of 5/16" Goldberg 24" reels they want to trade for an equal amount of 1/2" Goldberg 24" reels, let me know.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-19-2000 05:34 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of my mandrels have drive pins. Sometimes I forget that not everybody uses ones like that!

As for the AAAAAH!.... I e-mailed that to you and you laughed at it. (It IS funny!)

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-19-2000 11:22 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve G. pretty much pegged it: If you run 6000 foot reels, it's large spindles. If 2000 foot reels; small.

In an art house, where the feature changed often, I'm sure they'd want the smaller spindle. The feature could be from one shipping reel to another, then shipped out. I know that's a no-no, but art houses aways have money problems, and I guess I'd rather have an art house cut a few corners and stay in business than go under. Hopefully, such an art house would have a guy that would notice a really bad shipping reel (that might damage the film if used as a regular reel) and not use it.

For a regular first run house, I'd want large spindles. The smaller ones are, well, too small. Even a well run booth get idiots once in a while, and some dope tries to close the magazine door with the (5/16) spindle not locked- and bends the lock or the spindle. Or the spring that holds the reel lock flipper in position breaks. Or the key on the spindle shaft comes loose, breaks, etc.

Of course, it all platters now, so it doesn't matter. I was slightly shocked when our theater chain decided not to even put reel arms on the projectors anymore.

About two years after I started projecting, I read about emulsion-out (E.O.) winding. I wanted to try it, and changed the two projectors I was using at the time to E.O. I thought I was on the "bleeding edge" of projection-olgy (even though E.O. winding was already 15 years old by then.) Anyway, I start the projector, and I had forgotten that the feed spindle was now rotating in the opposite direction. The "Reel-A-Alarms" were turning backwards, going, "DING", "DING", "DING", "DING" the whole show. I knew I didn't want to be without the alarms, so I changed everything back, and that was the end of my experince with emulsion-out winding.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-20-2000 02:03 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, you mean emulsion-in winding?

I tried using that in my booth, too. Except when the reels turned "backward" (i.e.: clockwise), the alarms went "GNID! GNID! GNID!"

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-21-2000 02:04 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim:

Yes, you're right, I meant "out." I confused it with the emlusion on platters.
Please don't blame me, They dropped me when I was little....

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-22-2000 10:44 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John... You mean "in"? (I'm ribbing you!)

Hey, kids bounce good!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-23-2000 10:35 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arggg! I screwed that up again! "IN, IN!" Well, they dropped me really hard...!

One time, I'd had too much fun the night before, and was a little blurry eyed the next day. I'm trying to 'pilot' an hour reel onto a spindle, and keep missing. A friend with me there says, "Just think of your secretary.." (a line from Blazing Saddles.) I'm laughing, and push the spindle lock closed with the side of the reel. I try to hook the lock with one of the large holes in the reel to flip it back. Now, I'm laughing, making weird looking gestures this reel when the manager walks in. He says, "Excuse ME!" and walks out.

Not a real funny story, but it was at the time...

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-24-2000 06:32 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, Oh, I'm ROLLING!!

I've used that same line myself (just yesterday, as a matter of fact). It's a good one.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: