Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby CP-50 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby CP-50
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-18-2000 10:57 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my auditoriums is powered by the great and all powerful Dolby CP-50 (please dont laugh, I dont find it funny at all, haha). Problem is it is NOT and I repeat NOT doing a very good job of separating the sound. It sounds as if the Left and Right Channels are mixed together to create the Center Channel and the Surround Channel.

Has anyone had any problems of this nature with the CP-50? If so what was the solution?

For information, this unit had failed and was totally changed out with spare parts, and I mean all the parts eventually were changed including the main board, so it is actually a different unit but still does the same problem of not separating the sound.

Any help is greatful...

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-18-2000 11:16 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remove the Cat. 110 card and see what revision it is. I wouldn't be surprised if someone had switch out any newer rev cards that were in it and replaced them with older revs.

Dolby has a list somewhere that tells you what the current rev is of the boards used. If they are really old then you might want to upgrade.

I'm assuming that you have run some tests like crosstalk and Dolby level film, and have ruled out bad cards or alignment, etc.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2000 12:04 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it sounds like the a-chain is bad. I would be curious what kind of sound head you have, and what kind of slit lens? It's obvious you don't have a reverse scan, right?

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-19-2000 01:37 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if I am reading it right it would be revision L, but don't quote me on that. But correct me if I am wrong here, but shouldn't there be only THREE wires coming from the pickup cell? Then why do I have eight? I think whomever wired this thing has crossed the lines over and I am probably only getting Mono on all channels. I am going to tear into it Thursday night and rewire it. Will let you know if that solves the problem.

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Charles Lubner
Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2000 02:12 AM      Profile for Charles Lubner   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Lubner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a complete set of CP-50 cards at my theatre. I had to throw the actual processor out, but I kept all of the cards cause I collect stuff like that! I have no use for them, so if you need anything let me know.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-19-2000 10:08 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the decoding side, the Cat. 150 is the most likely suspect. But don't forget to make sure that the A-chain is tuned up right and then there is the B-chain wiring...I've seen people in the attempt to wire their booth monitor short the various outputs together and get the equivalent of mono out of all the channels.

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-19-2000 11:31 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible that your CP50 has the original cat 110 and 116 cards still installed and there maximum seperation is 4db per channel of gain control
If they are still installed replace them with a 110L link card and a 150E
If that isn't the case check the usuall list of suspects a and b chains

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-19-2000 01:54 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EIGHT wires?

From the solar cell head? or from the terminal block? What soundhead are we talking about here?

Aaron

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2000 05:14 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I experienced a similar problem a couple of years ago. The solution was to replace the Cat 150 matrix card. It fed the left and right channels with the center channel, in addition to the actual left and right signals...

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2000 05:46 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the stereo Cell is aligned and other items have been checked over as suggested.
Perhaps upgrade the Dobly Matrix Card with a Cat 150E and replace the pre-amp cards as well.

Most of the the old Dolby cards along most old CP50's are well out of date, Dolby Labs in fact will not repair cards for these any more.

The CP50 is well suited for home use and perhaps mobile work etc, but it would be worth upgrading to either a CP45 or CP65 or take a chance with a CP500.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-19-2000 10:46 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would anyone consider a CP-45 to be an "upgrade" from a CP-50? Sure, it has newer a newer matrix and SR decoding out of the box, but the one that I saw recently just looks and feels "cheap" in every possible way. The CP-50, by contrast, feels pretty solid and can sound just as good as the modern processors with the upgrades (A and SR NR cards, 150E or F matrix card, 64B EQ cards, subwoofer card, etc.).

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2000 11:02 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CP45??? I thought they converted all of those into SA10s

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-20-2000 01:44 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP-45 was Dolby's answer to the low-cost el-cheapos out there, which were getting the lion's share of the independent market.

In other words, since many theatres were buying rinky-dink crappy processors, simply because price was the only consideration to have stereo, Dolby figured it might as well be one of theirs.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2000 04:33 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Rank Cinema Circuit Odeon Cinemas in the UK did infact install a load of CP45's in some of it's older high streets sites upgrades, I think this practice has now stopped as more CP500's are being installed now for digital sound.

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2000 10:58 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used the c.p 50 once so cant really comment on it but the short time I did use it I found it to be a good unit.Used the dolby 55's ,65,s 500. and Panastereo (late model)I find that the c.p 65 is still the best that Dolby have put out, it's the most versatile processor on the market in my opinion.The Panastereo beats the c.p 500 hands down a great unit and a lot cheaper than the 500,and dose exactly the samr thing as the 500.

------------------

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: