Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Carpet Cleaning

Author Topic: Carpet Cleaning
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-17-2000 07:05 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took over a theater just six months ago with absolutely NO experience in a theater setting, other than bieng a complaining customer. In that time OH how much I have learned (mostly from this forum thank you).

I have a question regarding methods of carpet cleaning. I have had our carpets steam suctioned six times now and so far very little success, it all keeps coming back (the carpet had not been cleaned in three years).

Problem is I cannot afford new carpet at this time, and I am asking if anyone has had any experience with Chem-Dry carbonated carpet cleaning. I have heard they are pretty good but I would like to get some input from anyone who has used them and what thier opinion of them may be?

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2000 07:39 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that this the best way to clean carpet.The results from what I have seen are good,it brings carpet up like new.Contractors may the best bet to clean the carpets as they now everything to know about carpet cleaning.Just a thought.

------------------

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2000 07:49 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to another independent theatre owner. We had good success in Santa Rosa with a steam clean process. Our cleaners even did the booth as a courtesy for signing the contract. The contract for our 5-plex was over $4,000. After I saw how hard they worked and what they accomplished, we thought we got a deal. They scrubbed around each seat and steam cleaned the concrete.

What kinds of problems keep recurring?

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-17-2000 10:53 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soda spills and oil from the past... some of them are just sick looking. The best job so far was done by Stanley Steemer and they took three days with two crews working on it. All of the tracked in dirt and stains started reappearing after about ten days. The Chem Dry People came out and did five test spots that have stayed clean so far. I am of course nervous about something that just seems to good to be true, but hey if it works. I just need to get this done and have it stay done longer that two weeks.

On that same subject of carpet, What is the consensus of laying carpet on the entire theater floor as per leaving it concrete? What kind of problems would I be looking at?

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2000 01:33 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep it concrete. It is easier to clean. We have carpet at the front of the theatre and it acts like a soda catcher. The place smelled sick when we got it. We put carpet tiles in the lobby with the idea that we can peel them up when they get nasty and replace them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: