Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Best Lubricant

Author Topic: Best Lubricant
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-14-2000 12:57 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am about to teach a group of people wishing to be projectionist how to do maintenance on the platters. We have been using a cream colored lubricant for the rollers called LUBRIPLATE. What is the consensus on the best lubricant for this job and how frequently would you pull the rollers and relubricate?

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-14-2000 03:37 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What type of platter and/or rollers are we talking about here? Some platters have Teflon bushings on the rollers, that should never need any lubrication, other platters and some guidance hardware have rollers with sealed bearings also do not need any lubing. The Potts/Strong rollers with the visible ball bearings sometimes could use a little light oil (projector oil works good for this) every couple of months, but make sure you try to at least clean the bearings ( and the rollers as well since you're there already) of any dirt and old oil or grease, and then go sparingly with the oil, as too much will make quite a mess, and get oil on the film if it drips a lot!...

Aaron

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-14-2000 04:49 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lubriplate is OK at best. Problem is that it can tend to dry up sooner than you'd like it to. If you want everything really smooth and don't want to relube for many years, I suggest going with a synthetic lubricant. I am using "Sta-Lube" High Temp Disc Brake Bearing Grease, which can be found in auto stores. But any synthetic lubricant should do, just as long as it's high temp, etc....

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-14-2000 09:00 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hell if I know what platter system it is. This place is so damn old I can't figure it out. Actually it says its a model LP-270 from the Drive In Theater Company. It uses white plastic rollers on metal bolts. They have been using lubriplate on these things but it does dry up fast. I will try the sythetic lube job and see how that goes.

------------------

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-18-2000 07:22 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on the roller composition, you may need to treat those like nylon pad rollers: no lube at all. They are 'self-lubricating'.

Try this on a couple rollers:

Disassemble and clean all the old oil and dirt from the centers of the rollers, and remove all traces of grease/oil from the axles. Reassemble them with no lubrication whatsoever, and make sure the retaining collar, if any, allows the roller to rotate freely.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-18-2000 09:37 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>"Hell if I know what platter system it is. This place is so damn old I can't figure it out. Actually it says its a model LP-270 from the Drive In Theater Company. It uses white plastic rollers on metal bolts. They have been using lubriplate on these things but it does dry up fast. I will try the sythetic lube job and see how that goes."<<

If it is indeed the SPECO/DRITMCO LP-270....you shouldn't need ANY lubricant for the rollers! The only concern is the metal shafts to keep them from rusting...a light film of oil can accomplish this.

Just keep em clean and they will perform fine for decades.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-18-2000 10:44 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that makes complete sense now. No wonder these things are squeeking all to hell. They have been lubed for years from what I understand and that probably collected an enormous amount of dirt which would be making the noise.

Appreciate all the help. Be sure I will be voiceing in frequently at least until I can get a handle on all of this stuff.

------------------

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-19-2000 06:48 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a DROP of 3-in-1 oil on my SPECO LP-270's rollers, IF they need it. Squeaking & rattling is often caused by the little 'donuts' / retaining rings comming loose. It happens occasionally but I usually fix it soon after I notice it. Unless the roller refuses to turn OR it's so loose it might fall off, I don't worry about it much. (Just fix it next time you go by the tool room and grab the allen wrenches and oil.)

Carl Welles
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2000 12:19 AM      Profile for Carl Welles   Email Carl Welles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remove the rollers from the shafts, use XeKote to clean the shafts off and stick a Qtip through the mounting hole in the rollers with XeKote on it to clean the insides. Then reassemble and all will be fine. If you use oil or lubricant on them you will have to continue using it. If you just clean them real good and run dry they won't be a problem again for a really long time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: