Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SDDS prasie

Author Topic: SDDS prasie
Nic Margherio
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2000 07:38 PM      Profile for Nic Margherio   Email Nic Margherio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you read the topic title correctly: "SDDS praise." I actually have some good experience with SDDS. Before I begin, I would like to make one thing VERY clear. This praise is based off of the DFP-3000 series hardware ONLY. The DFP-2000, as you all seem to be well aware of, is a worthless piece of junk. In September I moved to a brand new theatre outfitted with the DFP-3000 on every screen. Naturally I was wary of this new system given my experiences with the old one. Turns out that Sony has made dramatic improvements with the hardware design (on the digital side) and also integrated a very nice analog system comparable to the CP500. Since opening, we have had but one problem with the digital track and that was the lab's fault. (though I wonder how much of this problem-free digital tracking can be credited to FilmGuard) Also, this system incorporates a VERY powerful feature to deal with excesive trailer levels. I don't know what we would do without it. On the old system, we would end up running shows at -6.0dB (when the system worked that is) because management would require us to play the trailers low and the lazy operators would never turn them back up at the feature. All and all I have to say I'm pretty happy with the new system and a little suprised to say the least.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-11-2000 09:57 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CA21 automation by Christie can run your trailers lower regardless of digital format and the volume will ALWAYS be turned back up for the feature. There is no better remote fader on the market, in my opinion.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-11-2000 11:31 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, what volume does it run when the film is piling up on the floor? ;-)

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: