Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Bone Head Moves of All Time (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bone Head Moves of All Time
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-10-2000 03:57 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one should actuall be titled "Recto-Cranial Inversions"!

Anybody ever seen this one before?

At my theatre, we have the Cretors 'automatic' popcorn poppers. You toss in a scoop of seed and press a button and out squirts a measured amount of popper oil.

I hear this call on the radio at about 1pm last Sunday, just as we were getting good and busy...

Johnny the Popcorn Boy: "Mr. {manager}!!! I need you at the main stand right away!!!

Manager: What's wrong 'Johnny'?

J: "Something's wrong with the popcorn machine! It's SMOKING really bad!"

M: "Okay! Shut it off!! I'm on the way!"

J: "Umm... Okay... I think somebody hooked up a box of Coke instead of Pop-oil!"

Yes, you heard right! 'Somebody' DID! If you don't know this, the popcorn oil comes in the same kind of 'bag-in-a-box' (AKA: "BIBS") that the Coca-Cola comes in!! And, YES the connectors are the same!

It's amazing to me that 'somebody' can't tell the difference between an thick, brown, gooey liquid in a box that says, "C-O-K-E" and a thin, yellow, oily liquid that says, "O-I-L"! Furthermore, it's amazing to me that it went completely unnoticed until the popper started belching out thick, black, FOUL-smelling smoke!

After I stopped laughing my ass off, I went down to check it out. The popper's TRASHED! They're probably going to need a new kettle and oil pump!

Lucky thing it didn't catch fire!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-10-2000 04:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep that kid away from your projector oil cans! Too funny.

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2000 05:06 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and keep him outta the booth for sure! c-o-k-e in the s-i-m-p-l-e-x!

--Chris

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2000 05:13 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Brad would love to humor us with the numerous stories of "bone head" moves from a local tech here in Dallas. I swear this is a definitive "bone-head".

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-10-2000 05:15 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luckily, we've got a pretty small 'core' group in the booth. There's about 8 people who run proj. and 5 of us are 'booth only'. The ones that came 'up' from downstairs are pretty good as far as proj. goes. Only the 'good' kids get to come up to the booth.

We don't know who's responsible for the popper incident, yet. Whoever it is certainly isn't talking. If the popper really is trashed, 'he' is probably going to be 'in the dog house' for a while. (If not worse!)

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2000 05:58 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We work with with a true Bone Head at Skyscape Cinema part of the Millennium Dome in London, this is the one who ordered two bottles of "Blooping Ink" in place where only 70mm DTS is shown (photos are coming!), this guy is so useless ( would you have a chief lace up a projector that was covered in concrete dust and not clean it!!) the rest of the projection team now wants to leave!,
I wonder why?.

The management think he is so good,they have promoted him as Senior AV Engineer for the cinema complex!!.

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2000 07:27 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Employing people as tecnnical managers who have never worked in the industry let alone even seen 35mm film or a projector and platter before and then get the same people to train others on how to be a projectionist,no wonder projection in some cinemas is a disaster.

------------------

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-10-2000 09:57 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the funniest thing that I've read in quite a while. Thanks for posting!

Gee...I always wanted to see what popcorn would taste like if I swapped the corn oil for "Genuine Century Oil"! Actually, given the relatively poor quality of popcorn at so many theatres, it probably wouldn't be much worse than average...

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-10-2000 10:07 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't ask me how I know this. Just take it as face value:

At first, the thought was, "Hey! Coca-Cola flavored popcorn! We could be on to something, here! Maybe we could charge EXTRA for that?"

The resultant popcorn actually looked almost normal and it smelled like Coca-Cola but it tasted like burned sugar.

BLAAAAAAH!

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2000 11:35 PM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the worst one I saw, was some years ago when a fellow projectionist went to move a print. Even though we had film clamps, he did not use them (he should have though). He picked up the print off of the AW-2, started to carry it with his arms both under the print, like he was hauling a big box by the bottom. Well, he was hauling the print by the bottom, with both arms in front of him about two feet apart from each other, and the print was at about a 40 degree angle. Well you know what happened next. The center ring fell out of the print, the film started uncoil onto the floor from the center. He tried to put the print down on the floor very carefully. Then about halfway down to the floor the print started droop around all of the edges and over his arms. By the time he got it to the floor, there was maybe one reel of film left twisted around his arms.

I guess he was a bit embarrassed, because when I asked if he wanted some help, he said no go on home.

I heard that it took him about 4 to 5 hours to put that one back together that night.

------------------

quote:
"More human than human" is our motto.

Scott

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-11-2000 12:12 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, here goes my favorite per Jason's request...

Many years back I was opening a new complex as a booth manager. I won't even get into the details of why the general manager insisted I train someone in the booth who did not speak one word of English!

Just imagine the training. Point...nod head yes. Point...nod head NO! Point...nod head yes. Demonstrate threading while saying things like "soundtrack" (pointing)..."roller" (pointing)..."intermittent" (pointing), etc, etc, etc. So after over a month of the most aggravating training I've ever been through I finally say "this guy's NEVER gonna get it until either he learns English or I learn whatever it is he speaks". So of course, this general manager decides, hmmm, sounds like he's good to go!

I was finishing college at the time and although I'd been working from 8am to midnight every day for over a month with a 1 1/2 hour drive to and from the theater, HAD to take a few mornings off for finals. So what happens? "Mr. Smartestmanagerintheworld" decides to put this guy in the booth one morning when I'm not there to supervise and go head nodding. By the time I get there around 2PM, the box office people pull me aside and ask "what happened?" Then it was the concessionists, "what happened?" Then the ushers too. Of course I have NO idea what evil is lurking upstairs awaiting my arrival...but I'm not liking it.

First thing I see is this fellow wobbling down the booth. Of course my thoughts were "oh shit", but I decided to follow him and try to get him to point to whatever this disaster was that apparently the entire theater knew about. No sooner did I round the corner did I see the service tech working on #2. I don't even bother following him anymore and decide to go to the English speaking tech for answers.

As I walk up, I'm greeted with "hey, how's it going?" I of course responded with something along the lines of "I'm not sure. How IS everything going?" His response was "well, your boy there stripped out this intermittent", as he hands me a "was-brand-new" Simplex XL intermittent with a red shop rag mangled around the sprocket.

Now, how do you teach a non-English speaking projectionist NOT to run the motor when wiping the sprockets with a toothbrush or a rag? Believe me, I did more than enough "NO" head shaking while pointing to the motor switch...but what can I do.

So now here's the amazing thing, this tech (who was known for checking sound problems by sticking his head out of the port hole window during the then mono trailers for 5 seconds and saying "sounds great nothing wrong") actually had a loop of RP40 running through the machine and the image on screen looked good! In fact, the projector was running smooth too! What could I say to the man but "thanks!" It had been a very rough month with virtually no sleep.

He tells me to leave the machine running for 10 minutes or so to "let the oil circulate" and asks me if I would help him carry some of his gear out to his car. I obliged.

Some 10 minutes later, after having to answer questions to the staff who had nothing better to do than get gossip, I returned to the projector, stopped it and took the loop out. The show was to start in 10 minutes and my non-English speaking operator was nowhere to be found, so I decide to go ahead and thread it up. Just one problem, when I walked around the projector to get to the platter I found a bit of a mess that the bonehead tech had left...all over my brand new print! What was this crap? I touched it, smelled it, looked at the walls, floor and ceiling around the platter and was imagining that someone had taken a 5 pound sack of shit and slung it all over the place. Well, it wasn't shit...it was the oil from the XL...because the BONEHEAD tech never put the back cover on the projector!

There was no oil left in the machine, for it was all over the print. That house stayed down for 2 days while we junked the print and scrubbed the platter, rollers, ceiling, walls and floor. The only amazing thing is, there's no telling how long that XL was running with no oil while that loop was running, yet it was fine once the cover was put back on and new oil was put in.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-11-2000 12:48 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd hate to have been around if the popcorn monkey had hooked the OIL up to the COKE fountain!

-Aaron

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-11-2000 05:54 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, THAT'S funny!

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2000 11:26 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too many bonehead moves to relate without writing a book. Here's a couple of fun ones:

The manager at one theatre decided to hook up a box of iced tea at the downstairs concession stand. Unlike the upstairs soda fountain, this one could only make carbonated drinks. Result: no one wanted to drink the sparkling iced tea and those who did got a refund. Not real bad, just funny.

A tech decided we needed a snood on the outside of the port glass to correct a problem we were having with the picture. So he made one. He did this by sawing the bottom off a trash can and taping the can up to the port. It worked until it came crashing down to the floor during the first show, luckily without whacking a customer on the head. Someone then picked it up and placed it in the rear of the theatre and patrons proceeded to fill it full of trash, not knowing it was bottomless. It was kind of funny though, seeing the projection beam emanating from a garbage can. A real quality show

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-12-2000 11:04 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an older bonehead story...

One day while talking to my coworker while he was working at the rewind bench, I noticed a straight 'line' of some black substance going straight across the bench. I touched it and found that it was some kind of oil. I went to get the '409' to clean it up and noticed that there was a similar black 'line' going up the front of my white Cinemark Uniform. Then I noticed another line going up the wall and across the ceiling. Retracing my steps, I discovered that all of these lines were on a plane that intersected the top of the table at an almost 90 deg. angle. "Hmmm", I thought. I went to get the '409' and came back. By that time by buddy had started up the rewinder again. This time, I saw a 'rooster tail' of oil flying off the friction disk on the left spindle! Somebody had decided to OIL the "friction pad"! (If you ask me, "OIL" and "FRICTION" are two MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE concepts! Now, I can understand that a few drops of oil could be beneficial. (Personally, I wouldn't do it unless it needed it.) But this bone head totally saturated the pad! I had to spend about an hour cleaning up the mess and getting the oil out of the rewinder. To this day, there's still oil in places you never thought even existed! Well, at least we'll never have to oil it!

I found out who it was. It's the same guy who tried to stop a 6K reel full of film, spinning at top speed using his bare hands! I don't know why he'd do that unless he seriously enjoys pain? I know he understood that spinning reels are like buzz saw blades. We used to demonstrate that concept by taking an old reel and cutting pencils in half, saying, "This COULD have been your finger!")

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: