Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Uniforms (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Uniforms
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-10-2000 12:09 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Survey time...

What are everyone's feelings towards uniforms? At one point, Cinemark had what must've been the worst projectionist's uniform around. It was a pair of slacks, white long sleeve dress shirt complete with "plasticware" (aka: plastic suspenders and plastic bow tie). Another theater had a similar uniform, but with a long tie (for getting caught in the projector).

What are the dress code policies among all the projectionists here? Is a dress code really necessary since customers don't see the projectionist?

Speaking of dress codes, this picture came to mind.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew D'Vrey
Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2000 12:40 AM      Profile for Andrew D'Vrey   Email Andrew D'Vrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to work for a theater that wanted me to wear a long tie in the booth. My buddy, who is a law student, and I wrote up this little document we wanted them to sign...basically stating that I alerted them of the dangers of wearing a tie around such equipment and if anything should happen to me they will be sued for negligence.

Never had to wear a tie again!

My current employer simply cares that I show up with shoes, pants and a shirt...underwear optional I guess.

------------------
"And the monkey flips the switch."
- Major Don West, "Lost In Space"

Andrew D'Vrey
IATSE Local 219

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2000 01:04 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At Landmark we had to wear a white shrit and a tie.

At UA They wanted us to wear the staff uniform. At first we had a "mechanics" jump suit. That didn't last too long because there was no place to strap your leatherman. The I came up with the black polo shirt that said United Artists Projection & Sound on the back in gold letters. That lasted 3 or 4 years untill sombody decided that we should go back to the staff uniform. I lasted about 6 more months after that. Joe lasted one more month and Erika lasted the longest by staying on an additional month.

Now that we are opening a new theatre, we will not have a uniform for a while. Eventually we may get company tshirts.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2000 02:58 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Regal theatre that I am at, I require the projection operator to wear management attire or staff uniform. However, since I used to be a projectionist at one time, I do not require the long tie when in the booth.

I had a friend who is now a GM for another Regal theatre get his tie caught in a 6000' reel when building up. It sucked him right into the reel and his face took a brutal beating. He never wears a tie when in the booth now. I laugh now, but it wasn't funny when it happened.

------------------
Chris Duvall
General Manager
Regal Cinemas Harrisonburg 14

Anthony Matarazzo
Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2000 03:46 AM      Profile for Anthony Matarazzo   Email Anthony Matarazzo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My uniform is just a "Greater Union" t-shirt with shorts or long pants and shoes
Thats it. It's great for summer as the air-con does not work in the box.

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2000 05:17 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal standard policy is that non-management booth staff wear the same uniform as everyone else on the floor (i.e. black slacks, white dress shirt, black socks and dress shoes, long black tie and Regal vest). I guess the idea is they can sucker you downstairs to help. At my theatre, we require the removal of tie and vest when in the booth for obvious safety reasons (see above post, ouch!!!).

-Mike

Gordon Leslie
Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2000 05:37 AM      Profile for Gordon Leslie   Email Gordon Leslie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Down here the standed dress policy for the booth used to be white overalls, this used to be rigidly adhered to years ago, no excuse for not wearing them then. Now its seems what ever is presentable,for me its jeans in winter ,shorts in summer.I'll have to speak to the boss about that new front of house uniform you've featured there Brad.!!

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2000 06:40 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, I remember haveing to wear those white overalls especially at the drive-ins in the middle a hot Aussie summer without any air con in the box. These days like you casual is the go.When I was tech manager it was a shirt and tie and I hated that.

------------------

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-10-2000 08:27 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, around here there really hasn't been much of a dress code for projectionists. Back in my K-B theatres days, the projectionist was to wear a collar shirt and long pants (without holes). If that operator was to be in the public eye (ie there are several booths and the operator must walk in the public areas) then they had a stricter dress code since they should look like they work there.

I should note, some operators did come up with their own "uniforms" with a shirt that had their names and company on them. Believe it or not, this made a nice impression on the supervisors. It showed employee spirit and a desire to look professional.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2000 09:56 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad:
That girl should be required with all Brenkerts!

But seriously, ain't no one gonna get me to wear a uniform. It's hot and sweaty in the booth--you get dirty mopping up oil leaks from the projector and if you are like me, you get stuck with fixing the butter machine which suddenly stopped working and you know how gross they can be!

All you really need for a 'uniform' is some clean, presentable, comfortable clothes just in case you should need to go downstairs. Just don't look like a slob when you're around the public.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2000 01:06 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back when we were a three screen, ushers doubled as projectionists so I wore the white dress shirt, black straight tie (clip), black pants, and black dress shoes. When we went to seven screens, a staff projectionist was chosen and he was told to come dressed for comfort in booth. I remained in the usher uniform during the time I spent as Chief-of-Staff, and continued to operate dressed like this until I turned down the management position. At that the head projectionist was promoted, and I got his job. During this time one operator would come dressed in sweats and slippers. THAT ENDED REAL FAST when I took over the booth, and our present uniform policy became maditory: red polo shirt, beige pants, black tennis shoes.

Reeve Byrne
Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2000 01:56 PM      Profile for Reeve Byrne   Email Reeve Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in ACT III days in was black slacks and THX, Dolby, DTS, or SDDS shirt, black shoes. Now with regal it depends on who the head projectionist is and the GM. I get away with black pants and a nice shirt most days. But on the weekends if I go downstairs to help I'll put on my uniform (black pants, white long sleeve shirt, black tie, maroon Regal vest). Our GM is pretty cool about it now, half the time he wears t-shirt and jeans when he come into work.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-10-2000 03:32 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate the uniforms I have (had) to wear at Cinemark! It started w/ the afformantioned white shirt and 'da-glo' bowtie. Now it's the black and purple checkered 'bowling shirt'. Besides making us look like clowns there's no breast pocket for your pen (or more importantly, CIGARETTES!)

It was probably somebody's wife picking out the uniforms. ("OOOh! That's CUUUUUTE!)

If it were ME picking out the uniforms, it'd be a solid color polo shirt and black "Dickies" w/ black shoes. (The shirt color to match the 'company' colors.)

The ALL TIME BEST uniform would be a red Star Trek shirt!

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2000 03:42 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who got fired by his employer, SF Bio in Göteborg, Sweden, when he refused to wear the tie that came with the uniform. Other projectionists were threatened with the same when the union finally got the madness to stop.

Myself, I usually wear a black t-shirt and blue jeans, and that works fine at the revival theatre I work at. Thankfully. I hate uniforms.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2000 05:18 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, If I heard right Tandy Michell (the owner's wife) DID design the uniforms. Fortunatly the manager that I had was pretty lax about it, we usually got away without having to wear the bowtie-suspenders (damn things popped off all the time anyways). Only time we HAD to wear them was a DM came in. Advance warning over the radio gave us plenty of time to hide.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: