Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » EX: worth buying or not (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: EX: worth buying or not
Devriendt Miguel
Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2000 07:34 AM      Profile for Devriendt Miguel   Email Devriendt Miguel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No that dolby launched ex, whe are considering buying it. But is it really worth to buy, or is it just a new toy of dolby. There aren't a lot of movies who support it.
Also which processor is the best,
the one of dolby, or DTS or smart....

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-09-2000 01:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best EX unit is the PanaStereo unit
There matrix is excellent and it has 1/3 octave eq's for the surround channel and only occupies 1 rack unit of space

Raj Sheth
Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2000 03:23 PM      Profile for Raj Sheth   Email Raj Sheth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been too impressed of late with the Surround EX Processor. The only movie that I have actually heard anything relevant in the back surround channel was Toy Story 2. It's more of a gimmic.

So unless you plan on running Toy Story 2 in that theatre forever.....

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-09-2000 04:01 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think that EX is mostly just a gimmick designed to sell more equipment. Of course, there's no real harm in putting it in _if_ the rest of the equipment in your booth is of high quality and in top-notch condition.

Otherwise, if I owned a theatre, I'd take the extra $1-2k and put it toward upgrading something else (like lenses).

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-09-2000 04:03 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Surround EX is probably the worst bang for the buck out there. It might be a nice icing on the cake but make sure you have enough cake to go around first!

Also, the SA-10 has not played nice with all processors (including the CP-65 and CP-55).

I hear they are working on that though.

As Gordon says, the Panastereo looks like the most thought out.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

John F. Allen
Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2000 04:46 PM      Profile for John F. Allen   Email John F. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before last May, I had an EX processor installed in my reference theatre. I spent a week working with it and testing it with EX encoded and non-EX encoded material.

My first exposure to the format was at Showeast. I was disturbed by the fact that the rear channel played at too low a level. That room, however, was so wide, that the rear channel was audible. I believed at the time that in a normally proportioned theatre, the rear channel would not have been heard if operating at so low a level relative to the side channels.

During my tests, I setup the processor exactly according to the installation instructions. When I played EX encoded material the rear channel was inaudible. So I began to increase the level of the rear channel (in the EX format) until the balance normalized. The increase in the overall surround level in the EX format vs. non-EX turned out to be 2 1/2 dB. I reported these findings to Dolby.

I should also point out that if the level of the rear channel was as little as 1/2 dB high, the sides would disappear. If it was as little as 1/2 dB too low, the rear would be inaudible. So setting levels is very critical.

Once the balance was worked out, I spent the rest of the time evaluating the differences with and without the EX steering, and here is where it became interesting. In an HPS-4000® theatre with an Allen Surround Array™, there is no difference with or without EX processing. This actually does not surprise me as I have always been accustomed to hearing rear sources in my installations.

I then conducted A/B tests with several different people and no one could tell whether or not the EX processing was engaged. Everyone was able to listen to each configuration several times on a continuous basis. One listener did hear a difference, though he did not know which was which. The difference he described was a slight decrease in lateral spaciousness. This, it turned out, occurred when the EX processing was on as one might expect due to the slight "mono-ing" up of the stereo image such a matrix will cause.

So what value is there in surround EX? It will have the greatest benefit in the theatres with the worst surround coverage. If the surround system is one where one easily localizes to a single surround speaker, then stereo surrounds will at least give a separate second source from across the room. Steering information the rear speakers with EX processing will help even further in such a theatre. If the a theatre was originally equipped with only two rear surrounds, the installation of the recommended two additional surrounds will help as well.

John F. Allen

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2000 06:36 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new theatre which is opening soon here is haveing Dolby Digital EX in all 8 screens.I suppose it all comes down to personal choice in the end. But as directors get used to the availability of a rear channel more films will use it as time goes on.I prefer to use The dolby C.P500 or the Panastereo processors ,I find that they are excelent.

------------------

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-09-2000 06:54 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the DTS-ES unit over the Dolby SA-10. The matrix is better and it sounds as if things are floating all around the room! It only takes up 1U of space, and when hooked up to a DTS reader it will play your EX-formatted movies and trailers automatically.

Andrew D'Vrey
Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2000 01:01 AM      Profile for Andrew D'Vrey   Email Andrew D'Vrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boss, who's like a child in a candy store when it comes to audio, got our SA-10's installed right away in our THX theaters. The first film I actually watched in the theaters was The Messenger. The arrow effects were kinda cool...not breathtaking like I had hoped or like was touted in various magazines reviewing EX. Personally, if it was my theater and my budget, I wouldn't have wasted my $$$.

At least Dolby used the two additional channels more wisely than Sony IMHO.

------------------
"And the monkey flips the switch."
- Major Don West, "Lost In Space"

Andrew D'Vrey
IATSE Local 219

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-10-2000 08:54 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>"Once the balance was worked out, I spent the rest of the time evaluating the differences with and without the EX steering, and here is where it became interesting. In an HPS-4000® theatre with an Allen Surround Array™, there is no difference with or without EX processing. This actually does not surprise me as I have always been accustomed to hearing rear sources in my installations."<<

I set up a theatre that has the Allen Surround Sound (though not HPS-4000) with Dolby's Surround EX. I had everything balanced out correctly, that is, when in EX mode, all three channels played at the same volume when only one channel is selected.

Unlike most installations, we used 1/3 Octave EQ (Rane Constand Q equalizers) on all FOUR channels so regardless of mode, the EQ didn't change and was proper for all four quadrants.

We evaluated it using Star Wars :EP 1 running both SDDS-8 and SR*D. In both cases the EX channel was easily decernable though not anything to make your hair stand up on end. Perhaps it was the mix. Toy Story 2 seemed like it had more EX type effects in it.

One thing to note about the Allen Surround Sound array, for those that haven't seen/heard one, is that the rear wall has many speakers/ft as compared to the side wall. This may be allowing the EXless rear channel in those theatres, just a guess.

I, by the way, think LC and RC are more important than EX. Star Wars certainly sounded better with them than without.

Surround really need 4-5 channels to make a significant improvement over 2-channels. Once directional motion can be added, you will have something, just having the back wall doesn't cut it.

Steve

------------------

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-10-2000 12:33 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with others here: The money spent on EX is much better spent elsewhere. In our case, the studios helped pay for a portion of the cost, but I could think of other things.

I'm still a little annoyed that the EX unit does not 'know' when a film is encoded or not. It took distruibuters too damn long to simply mark on film cans if a film was stereo or not, so I expect markings for "EX" to appear just after most theaters are using electronic projectors.

I could live with an 'analog-only' theater not switching to EX automatically, but if you are using a Dolby SR-D unit hooked to a Dolby processor it should switch for you. There's plenty of extra 'bits' in the AC3 data, and a simple interface could have done it. Which is another reason I feel that EX is sort of a cheap, not-thought-out add-on.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-10-2000 03:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
EX cannot be used at an analog only theater. It requires two channels of surround to decode the third.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-10-2000 03:35 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"EX cannot be used at an analog only theater. It requires two channels of surround to decode the third."

Oops; you're right. Well, then, there's no excuse at all!!

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-10-2000 07:52 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>"I'm still a little annoyed that the EX unit does not 'know' when a film is encoded or not. It took distruibuters too damn long to simply mark on film cans if a film was stereo or not, so I expect markings for "EX" to appear just after most theaters are using electronic projectors."<<

Fear not buckaroo...

There are plans in the works so the SA-10 will switch automatically by Dolby.

Steve

------------------

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-10-2000 08:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John---

The DTS-ES unit knows when a film is encoded, as long as you are playing it in DTS. You would be surprised how many trailers are encoded with EX. It goes in and out effortlessly! The unit is great!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: