Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 70MM

Author Topic: 70MM
Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2000 11:39 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A mate and I were talking about 70mm the other day and we were both wondering if they are still printing the old mag prints any more or are they just useing D.T.S,it's been a while since i've seen or used 70mm.A theatre here in Melbourne runs 70mm reguarly being reruns of Ben Hur a new print, Titanic D.T.S,etc but have'nt been able to get to the theatre as something allways comes up.If they are printing 70mm mag in what country.Any info is appreciated.

------------------

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-09-2000 12:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, it appears that striped 70mm films are still being made to some degree when it is politically correct to do so (recent prints of Lawrence of Arabia were striped). There is a company in the USA that meets EPA standards and can stripe.

I wonder why other than the theatres that have 70mm equipment installed can normally play magnetic prints and may have to purchased DTS equipment to handle that soundtrack. Another issue would be from older discrete 6-track films where tracks 2 and 4 are not incorporated into the standard DTS-6D player (but could be assigned on the DTS P-8 player but this would also mean an expendature at each theatre)

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-09-2000 12:42 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a place in California still printing prints with mag striping. The 70mm's of Hamlet were mag as was the recent reissue of 2001 (not a great print optically, but HAL coming out of the surround channel is always a buzz).

The Ben-Hur print is also mag and looks fantastic. Columbia have re-struck a new director's cut of Lawrence Of Arabia but I'm unsure of its soundtrack make-up. The Astor will be running that one too, Stephen. It's great news as the other one was stuffed very early on in its life by a cinema in Pitt St. Sydney which is no longer there.

I used to say that with the quality of this film in 70mm you could count the grains of sand and that was not exaggerating.

Lawrence should ONLY be seen in 70mm.

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2000 01:59 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recall runing a re-issue lawrence a few years back it was remixed in S.R and sounded great, but as the film was part of film a society screening I was told to run it on 5 which meant the sound was crapp.Later on I ran it again at the proper Dolby level of 7 and as said earlier it was great.The print unfortunatly was only 35mm but it came up well on screen.The Astor in St kilda in Melbourne often run Hammlet 4 hr version every couple of months in 70mm and always have good houses,as they do with most of their 70mm runs.I was up there about 18 months ago(unfortunatly they didnt have a 70mm show on during my visit) and the theatre has been fully restord to its full glory, with a new super screen and len's.Sound system has also been replaced with D.T.S and Dolby Digital useing a C.P500 processor.Check out their web site.

------------------

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2000 02:19 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ops! forgot to leave the web sit for the Astor in St.Kilda Melbourne it's

http://www.astor-theatre.com/

------------------

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: