Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projector manufacturer histories

Author Topic: Projector manufacturer histories
Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2000 03:32 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed reading "From Magic Lantern to Stereo - Motiograph Story" available on the Manual Downloads section. Any other historical information available on some of the other projector manufacturers extinct and extant: Simplex, Century, Brenket, etc?

It would be great to read some more about these companies.

Thanks, Jeff

|  IP: Logged

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2000 05:56 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff,

Check out the Simplex catalog from either the 1940's or 50's in the manual downloads. It gives a little idea where Simplex came from.

--Chris

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2000 09:48 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the booklet called "This Is Strong International". It has the histories of Simplex projectors, Strong lamphouses, Ballantyne of Omaha, and Century projectors. It's very well written and I should photocopy it and send it in for posting.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-08-2000 10:57 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken--I recently got some propaganda in the mail from Ballantyine that has a similar thing--a history of the company, including its various brands. There are sections for Simplex (which is good)< Century (which is a bit sparse), and Super-Trouper follow spots. The quality of the writing is inconsistent, but the information is pretty good. I'm sure that anyone here could get a copy by writing a nice letter to Ballantyine of Omaha. If Brad wants a copy to scan, I'll send mine along.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-11-2000 02:31 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "This is Strong..." piece is very good, indeed.

I have a copy.

Nicholas McRobert
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2000 08:15 PM      Profile for Nicholas McRobert   Email Nicholas McRobert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinoton have a nice, if small, history page on their website at http://www.kinoton.com

One fact that I learned there and wasn't aware of before: they developed the first non-rewind system (platter system) in co-operation with W Burth, and received an OSCAR for their work.... The basic design is still in production today and is copied (quite badly, if you compare) all over the world.....by Christie, Strong, Cinemecannica...etc...etc...etc...to name but a few.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2000 02:17 PM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anywon no the history of Cinemeccanica from Milano? I have a Victoria 8 35mm/70mm projector.

I no many do not like the Cinemeccanica's or shall we say 'Shakeameccanica's' (vic5)

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-20-2000 02:31 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin: I call them CinemeCHEAPicas, and that usually gets a guffaw.

I have an article somewhere, written by an American projectionist who was travelling through Italy during WWII. He visited several booths and, through an interpreter, spoke with the operators. He was able to come to the conclusion that, while all the various Italian projectors were actually copies of other projectors (like the German Ernemann), all the Italian projectionists were in agreement that Cinemeccanicas were the WORST copies!

I thought that was very telling.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2000 04:29 PM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worst copies!! AHHHHH.....

Thanks for your short story Tim, does anywon else have something 'Nice' to say about Cinemeccanica.Is the vic8 the best projector they made or is it the vic10?

Chris Wootten
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2000 06:01 AM      Profile for Chris Wootten   Email Chris Wootten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I trained on cinemecannica's early in my career and was impressed. I like em. The only thing I did not like was the motor start switch, which ,if you were too quick snapped the film. They were fitted with carbon arc lamphouses, and that was interesting too.... I regard my most memorable screening being a copy of Lawrence of Arabia in 70MM after the Cinema gad been totally refurbished......14 changeovers...no platters..... but what a picture.... audiences were blown away too... I use Bauer U3 now......a lot quieter...

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-21-2000 02:12 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I like Cinemeccannas. I learned on a V8, which I really liked. I would tell you all the good thing about them, but I think I'm out numbered here!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-24-2000 06:40 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in all fairness, I'll be the first to admit the V-8 is a fine mechanism. They have much to be desired in the optical sound department, though. But on the screen they're rock-steady.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-24-2000 06:46 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UNless they have the new gates I have never seen a rock steady image from a shakemecanica
Especially on older v8 running 35mm

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2000 07:39 PM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The gates on my v8 look very new, but i have never replaced them myself, so how new they are i don't no but the white text on the greenband in trailers looks so steady when projected it almost looks like a dias.

I've heard that it is the new v5 machines that bounce up and down in the picture.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: