Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » static problem?

Author Topic: static problem?
Megan Penmann
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2000 04:11 AM      Profile for Megan Penmann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've been having major static problems with our prints of Anna & The King and Man On The Moon. Around the last reel and a half, the film going through the brain will pull at least one other layer of film with it, if not 2 or 3 other layers. The extra layer(s) obviously don't go through the brain, but bunch around it in an uneven fashion. If this happens enough times, the brain detects a wrap and shuts down.
We stopped tucking the tails on these prints and that seemed to reduce the problem to a degree. We have a "Static Cloth" which seems to do nothing at all, and a "Static Vac" which does nothing much either.
One theory is that the platter system's positioning could be causing the static (it's right under an air conditioning vent). Another thought is that maybe it's not static after all, but moisture causing the film to cling together. But wouldn't that mean that the entire print would cling together, not just the last few reels?
A coworker who worked for UA said that anytime they had a static problem, they sprayed XeKote all over it. Every other theater I've worked for has cleaned the projectors daily with XeKote and I've never encountered a problem like this. But we don't use XeKote at my current theater.
(I'll save my thoughts on the unusual cleaning procedures for a later post.)
Any ideas on what the problem could be or how we can fix it?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-08-2000 04:28 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there is a product out there which will put an end to all of your static woes. If you have a media cleaner at your theatre, this product can be used with that to completely neutralize static. Apply it the very first time you run the film. You may notice static problems during this show since the film has not yet travelled through this wonderful product. But once it does, your static will be gone. Only 1 run. I would recommend running it even longer through the product if you can. Treat every film.

The product is called FilmGuard and can be ordered through your cinema supplier (the same place where you get splicing tape, etc...) Harrass your managers about it NOW!

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: