Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Roof leaks (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Roof leaks
Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2000 09:33 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many of you have had roof leaks? I have yet to see a theater where the roof HASN'T leaked.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-07-2000 09:44 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speak of the devil....

It's NEVER been watertight since the day they put the roof on. Legal battles all over the place...
The construction co. blames the architect... The Architect blames the mfg. ...
The Mfg. blames the construction guys.
etc,etc,etc....
We are so used to it leaking in that we don't even notice the trash cans in the middle of the halls to catch the drips anymore!

We have water dripping through the light fixtures. We have water dripping on the rewind bench. There are a few spots where you can see the water drips on the drop-ceiling above a projector. I just hope it doesn't get bad enough to cause a cave in.

One time there was 2-3 inches of water surrounding a projector and dripping directly onto the sound rack. Actually, "drippig" isn't the proper word. It looked like somebody was PISSING on it from above the ceiling!

We've had theatre ceinings collapse mid-show. Once on a Friday night. We had to unbolt rows of seats to get the Genie Lift in there to replace it. Behind some of the screens there's water dripping down the sound insulation and right onto the speakers. There's one screen where there's a brown water stain in the corner. Thankfully it's not bad enough that 90% of the people don't notice. It's only about a foot across... but I'm sure it'll grow!

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2000 09:52 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The single screen CAPITOL theater in Olympia, Wash. typically has water dripping into the main power service entrance panel (it's scary) and the plaster gets soaked in the auditorium and falls on the balcony seats.

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2000 11:45 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't come accross a theatre yet that did'nt bloody leak,one instance during heavy rain in a 600 seat cinema a sheet of plaster came off the ceiling crashing down and hit the floor and seats with a huge crash followed by a giant water fall.It was lucky that no one was sitting there as a session was running at the time as they would have been killed for sure.I could see a bulge forming when I was checking the projector as all good projectionist should, but by the time I got to the phone to give a warning it was to late.

------------------

Anthony Matarazzo
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2000 04:29 AM      Profile for Anthony Matarazzo   Email Anthony Matarazzo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At one of our loaction the air con room in abover the cinema. The cooling tower is also located there. It had over flowed a few times and the water has came through the cinema ceiling while there where people it it. Free wash

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2000 06:16 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NOW PLAYING AT A THEATER NEAR YOU>>>
**AQUAVISON**

See such hits as "Waterworld","Halloween H20" or the classic "The River" in glorious Aquavision. Roofs were specially defected, er,I mean designed,to rain glorious amounts of precipitation on happy patrons who came to see the water and feel the water all around them.

--Chris

P.S. Slickers and Ponchos on sale at the snack bar!

Christopher A Kerr
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2000 07:27 PM      Profile for Christopher A Kerr   Email Christopher A Kerr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The satalite dish cable for our non-sync feed comes down throught a pipe in the roof and into the booth. When it rains you get a steady drip-drip-drip of water falling on your head if you have to use the phone in the booth as it is located right uder this pipe.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2000 12:26 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the Loews Keystone in Dallas, sortly after a rainstorm a 200lb section of cast iron drainage pipe (about 1ft in diameter) came crashing through the ceiling in one of the auditoriums, demolishing 1 surround speaker and the hand rail along the wall, during the middle of a movie. Luckly no one was there when it happened. As I remember there was only a couple of people in there at the time one guy casually strolled out of the auditorium over to the managers desk and politly notified him that the ceiling had collapsed in the auditorium and went back to watch the remainder of the show, now with a 1ft diamater skylight. The location of where the pipe landed was about where the lightswitch for the worklight in the auditorium is. After that happened they had the construction company come out and check all the remaining drainage pipe to make sure they were secured properly, as it turned out they forgot to put a support bracket under the pipe.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-11-2000 12:39 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"...one guy casually strolled out of the auditorium over to the managers desk and
politly notified him that the ceiling had collapsed in the auditorium and went back to watch the remainder of the show, now with a 1ft diamater skylight..."

Ever notice how nothing fazes people in Texas? I mean, the worst shit can be happening, and a guy from Texas will say; "'scuse me, but if this here earthquake don't destroy the tap, kin I have another beer, please..."

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2000 01:43 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it is raining here in Santa Rosa California. I am rushing around our new cinema to find the leaks. I found one small drip in the managers office. The bucket is in place and hopefully it will be ok.

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2000 09:57 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About two years in one of the theaters that I service they had a roof drain leak. It was about 4 months after they had opened. When they were building the place in Nov/Dec the roof drains were plugged by ice. Well... one of the idiot construction guys managed to cut a 12" roof drain pipe right through. After the ice melted during the next rain storm 8,000 square feet of roof drained into one auditorium. When the manager showed up to open the next morning, 5 feet of water in the theater!
Also, ALL of the theaters that I service have many roof leaks.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2000 09:42 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The roof leak total for our new cinema is three. One in our office comming from the ice machine chiller on the roof. One in auditrium 4 from the HVAC onto a seat. and the last one, and its a good one, down the inside of the lamp exhaust of theatre #1 there was a quarter inch of water in the lamphouse! Looks like the exhaust needs a new hat.

Reeve Byrne
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2000 06:34 PM      Profile for Reeve Byrne   Email Reeve Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well at my theater the roof leaks but it just leaves marks on our drop cellings. Nothing, to my knowledge has ever acually made it into a theater or projector or anything eles.

It would be kind of cool to see a theater submerged in five feet of water. How did they drain it?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-12-2000 09:36 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not exactly a "roof leak," but we had a couple of other interesting experiences--an old air conditioner (Carrier Model #1...yes, really) that went crazy and sprayed water everywhere...also, a rather tempermental ice machine that would work fine for a few weeks and suddenly decide that it was time to flood the floor in the office.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2000 09:39 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy to say that our landlord his happy with us now and is trying to fix every problem. He sent roofers over to the theatre and they spread tar everwhere. I hope it solved the leak problem. We will find out tomorrow when it will rain again.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: