Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Our new Cinema (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Our new Cinema
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2000 11:32 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Moving Pictures
Photograph by Rory McNamara
Independent views: Ian Price and Ky Boyd are transforming the aging Lakeside Cinema into a haven for films that run far outside the Hollywood mainstream. The theater reopens with fresh flicks on Jan. 14.

The new Lakeside Cinemas gears up to deliver indie flicks--but are we ready?

By Patrick Sullivan

WANT TO CATCH Arnold dueling with the devil in End of Days or Pierce Brosnan blasting his way through The World Is Not Enough? No problem: You can head for virtually any movie theater in Sonoma County and be confident that your Hollywood blockbuster of choice will be playing on at least one screen--and maybe two or three.

But if you're searching for a film that's unusual, challenging, offbeat--or, God forbid, foreign--you might run into a nasty little problem. It's what local film buffs call the "Will it ever get here?" syndrome. Independent films that dazzle and delight audiences in San Francisco often march north at a snail's pace, and despite the valiant efforts of a few local theater owners, many movies--films like Boys Don't Cry or Perfect Blue--never reach Sonoma County at all.

That may be about to change. If Ian Price and Ky Boyd have their way, local film fans will find themselves sticking around home base a lot more often to get their dose of indie flicks.

On Jan. 14, the two men will swing open the doors on the newly renovated Rialto Cinemas Lakeside, boldly going where no Sonoma County theater owners have gone before by presenting the public with five screens dedicated to independent features, documentaries, classic movies, and . . . gasp . . . even foreign flicks.

Which leaves a lot of people asking one very big question: Are we ready for this?

"I think so," Boyd replies with a cheerful briskness. "All of our research indicates that you are. I think it's interesting because I think the people who most don't think Santa Rosa is ready for it are the people in the mainstream movie business. The reactions of other people have just been amazing. So that's really encouraging."

Sitting side by side at a table in a local coffeehouse, the two partners seem an odd match. Boyd, 35, is slender, chatty, and prone to laughter, eagerly rattling off facts and figures to explain why Sonoma County is a ripe market for an art house. The stocky and reticent Price-(I was going for quiet and enigmatic)-who has more than a decade of experience in the theater business and often serves as a projectionist at the Telluride Film Festival--lets his partner do most of the talking, content to occasionally interject a brief anecdote or some quiet irony into the conversation.

But neither man stays silent when the subject turns to their love of independent films. For some 15 years, since they met and became friends at the University of Montana, Boyd and Price have shared the dream of opening a theater dedicated to films outside the mainstream Hollywood fare.

"Independent films are about life," says the 37-year-old Price. "They're very simply about life. Whereas a lot of the commercial films are about not very much. . . . It's nice to see a film that makes you want to talk about it afterwards, as opposed to just forgetting it as soon as you walk out of the theater."

Boyd first plunged off the cinematic beaten path as a college student, when he happened upon a screening of Diva, the stunningly stylish suspense film from French director Jean-Jacques Beineix about a young opera fan who accidentally becomes involved with the underworld.

"I had never seen anything like it," Boyd explains. "In Great Falls where I grew up, we didn't have a theater that showed independent or foreign films. I saw all the studio stuff. And this was just so different. I was just like, 'Wow, that was really cool.' "

That's exactly the response the two men hope to evoke from Santa Rosa filmgoers with the first month of movies at the new Lakeside. Just days after the old lease expired and the old management moved out, the posters advertising Toy Story 2 were replaced by new ones for Some Like It Hot (opening Jan. 14) and In Search of Kundun with Martin Scorsese (opening Jan. 21).

Also slated for the marquee are Edge of Seventeen, a film about growing up gay in the Midwest that opens on Jan. 28, and West Beirut, a stunning coming-of-age story about two young friends in war-torn Lebanon that opens Feb. 11. Even Perfect Blue--the acclaimed anime feature--is coming, opening on Feb. 18.

But fresh flicks are not the only change at the Lakeside. A serious physical renovation is also under way, and the price tag for the transformation of the old theater into a shiny new art house will eventually reach $100,000. Among the changes planned are new projection and audio systems and tons of fresh paint and new carpet. The ticket booth will be moved inside, and the video games will disappear to make way for tables and chairs for a cafe.

"The renovation is about creating a new identity for the theater," Boyd explains. "We want to build a core audience of adventurous filmgoers who think anything playing at our theater is probably worth seeing."

Of course, this new venture is hardly the only spot to catch indie flicks in the county. The Independent Film Series at Sebastopol Cinemas and in Petaluma's Washington Square brings offbeat flicks to the screen every Wednesday and Thursday night, and the Sonoma Film Institute continues to provide adventurous programming on the weekends at Sonoma State University.

What will distinguish the new Lakeside is the theater's commitment to relatively long runs of independent films. Movies will play for at least a week instead of a couple of days. But Boyd adds one caveat: not every film will be independent. The next Star Wars movie will not appear on the Lakeside's marquee, but you might see something like Shakespeare in Love or Tea with Mussolini.

"I think it's going to be a mix," Boyd explains. "There are films that are released by the major studios, what I call Hollywood story films, that are not your traditional studio offering. It's what they call prestige films. Those are films that we want to go after because they fit the demographic that we're appealing to."

Moreover, though both men say they were inspired by the example of the Rafael Theater in Marin, which often screens quirky films almost impossible to find anywhere else, they aren't sure whether the Lakeside can afford to be quite so adventurous.

"It's hard to say," Boyd says. "I can't tell you, 'This is what Santa Rosans want to see.' We have to experiment, see what works and what doesn't."

But some local observers wonder if even a modest attempt to emulate the Rafael can be successful in Sonoma County.

"I don't know if that sort of thing is really commercially viable," says Eleanor Nichols, director of the Sonoma Film Institute. "We have a hard enough time at SFI filling up the room that we have with art programming. But I certainly hope it works out. The more choices people have, the more opportunities they're going to take to see different kinds of film."

Price and Boyd seem eager to challenge such notions about local filmgoers. Among the eclectic possibilities for the future, the partners say, is that the theater will play host to traveling film festivals, perhaps screening a "best of" package from the Mill Valley Film Festival.

That may have to wait, however, until the Lakeside gets the equipment to run 16mm film and video projection--two formats that film festivals often require.

"There are a lot of things that we want to do," Boyd says. "It's a matter of making them all happen. The first six months, it's basically getting all the pieces assembled. It's not like you go, 'Boom, instant theater.' It's going to take a little time. But we're here for the long haul."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the January 6-12, 2000 issue of the Sonoma County Independent.
Copyright © Metro Publishing Inc. Maintained by Boulevards New Media.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2000 07:57 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so now you have read the press release. What you really want to know is what is going on in the booth. The worlds greatest Tech has been here a little over 8 hours and this is what he has found.

Theatre #1
Dowser pivot bolt broken
Flat and Scope plates need to be refiled,
Need new scope back up lens, the old one is cracked.
Need new flat lens as existing lens is wrong size.
Oil pump does not function and they just filled the case with oil to compensate.

Aud #1 - 288 Seats
Simplex 1050 Projector
Flat Lens - Kollimorgan
Scope Lens - Kollimorgan
Sound Head - 5 Star (needs reverse scan kit)
Console - Strong Super Highlite 3000W -
Platter - Speco - LP-270
Dimmer - Cinema Film
Automation - Strong SPA-7
Digital Processor - DTS (original issue unit)
Cinema Processor - Dolby CP65 w/SR -
Amps - 4 QSC 1400
Monitor - Compnent Engineering MS-100
Screen -
Manual Side Masking -
Stage Speakers 3 - brand unknown -
Surrounds - 8 Boston Acoustic -
No sub-woofer
Seats - Seating Concepts (Contour, I think) - 288
Wireless Microphone

Theatre #2
Hand dowser is busted
Mirror on strong x-90 is flaking,
Turret latch and screw need adjustment
Intermittant sprocket is hooked
Gate latch lever is busted.
Must reduce picture hight with new lens in flat
The scope is ok

Auditorium #2 238 Seats
Projector - Simplex 1050
Flat Lens - brand unknown
Scope Lens - brand unknown
Sound Head - Simplex 5 Star (needs reverse scan kit)
Console - Strong X-90 2000W
Platter - Speco LP-270
Dimmer - unknown -
Automation - Strong - SPA-7
No digital processor
Cinema Processor - Ultra Stereo - JS5/95 -
Amps - 2 - BGW 7500T -
Monitor - Component Eng. MS-55
Screen
Masking - Manual Side Pull
Stage speakers - brand unknown - 3
Surrounds - JBL - 8330 - 8
Seats - very old rockers in ugly brown fabric, dirty - 238
CD Player - Sony 5 disc -

Theatre #3
Scope image is too big, need new lens.
Flat OK
Need latching relay for Non Sync
This is generally the best machine.

Aud #3 - 161 Seats
Projector - Simplex 2000 -
Flat lens - unknown Japanese make
Scope lens - unknown Japanese make
Sound Head - Simplex 5 Star needs reverse scan kit
Console - Strong X-90 2000W
Platter -Speco LP-270
Dimmer - unknown brand
Automation - Strong SPA-7
No digital processor
Cinema Processor - Dolby CP50 w/o SR Cards -
Amps - 2 QSC 1400
Montior brand unknown - model M400
Screen
Masking - manual side pull -
Stage speakers - brand unknown - 3 -
no sub woofer
Surrounds - Boston Acoustic - 8
Seats - Seating Concepts (again, Contours), 161
CD Player - Sony 5 disc

Theatre #4
Scope image is too small. Must raise masking.
Need dowser plate.
Hand dowser needs bolt.
Clean Blowers,
Rebuild lamp assembly due to bad mirror.
Fix the 2 lens bushings.
Need a coil for the changeover.
Gate latch.

Auditorium #4 - 112 Seats
Projector - very old Simplex XL
Flat lens - unknown brand
Scope Lens - Cine Navitar
Sound Head - Simplex SH1007 (also very old - needs reverse scan)
Console - Christie Xenolite H90 lamphouse and rectifier on pedestal -
Platter - Speco - LP-270
Dimmer - Xetrol IV
Automation - Hightec - HDT11
No digital
Sound Processor - Kelmar - in glorious mono
Amplifier - Kelmar - AA7000
Monitor - brand unknown
Screen
Masking - manual side pull
Stage speaker - brand unknown - 1
Seats - Seating Concept Contours - 112

Theatre #5
Need projector door knob
Needs new lenses.
Lamp needs to be rebuilt.

Auditorium #5 - 126 seats
Projector - Simplex XL -RP1002 (same vintage as one in #4)
Flat lens - brand unknown
Scope Lens - Kowa - 0
Sound Head - Simplex SH - (same vintage as #4 and surprise, surprise - needs reverse scan)
Console - Christie Xenolite H20 lamphouse and rectifier on pedestal -
Platter - Speco LP-270
Dimmer - Xetrol IV
Automation - HighTec - HTDII
No digital
Sound Processor - Kelmar - (more glorious mono)
Amp - Kelmar -AA7000
Monitor - brand unknown
Screen
Masking - side pull, manual
Stage speaker - brand unknown
Seats - Seating concepts - Contours - 126 -

Other Stuff:
Rewind Bench
Rewinds - Teco
Platter MUT - Speco LP-271 - 2 -
Trailer cabinet
Storage cabinet
Film Cleaner - Christie FC-1
6,000 Foot Reels - 7

He has yet to turn on a sound system. But he has made sure all the platters will work.

There will be more later when we tear apart the sound system to install Dolby Digital.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2000 11:31 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, it's wonderful that your theatre is going to exhibit good movies. I wish you and Ky much success. I would gladly patronize your theatre if I lived in the area. Are you going to get 1:1.66 and 1:1.37 lenses? I'm just curious.

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2000 11:53 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Ian, I hope everything goes well for you at your new venture.Someone needs to show the majors how to do it well. I for one sooner visit independant theatres such as your's any day, well done.

------------------

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2000 12:19 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian:

Did you have to sign a "non-compete" with the former theater operators before you could take over the theater?

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2000 09:24 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
George,

Thank you. Yes we will get 1:66 and 1:33 lenses as our need warrants them. We will not be showing all that much rep. so we will not need them right away. (I hope!) I seems that none of the lenses in this theatre are the correct size anyway and one of them is cracked. Nothing has been cleaned in a long time.

So we are buying, unexpectedly, 8 new lenses and 3 new mirror assemblies.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2000 09:31 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

No, We didn't sign a non compete clause with the former owner. I don't think he thinks we will survive. If the way this theatre was put together is an indication of what he likes to do, then I think he should be worrying. He is building a 14 plex in downtown. It is now two months behind schedule. As a result, we are having bookings rammed down our throats. We are starting with 7 titles in our 5-plex and changing 5 of them in week two. It looks like we have one month to make a name for ourselves before his 14-plex opens. This has been a gift.

Now if we can just survive on 5 hours of sleep per night and if my partner can survive his one hour commutes each way, per day, we will be fine.

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2000 01:20 PM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really envious! What a great project! I've always wanted my own theatre where I could run indie and art fare. Best of luck to you and Ky. I hope your theatre is a tremendous success.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2000 09:28 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your encuraging words.

We had the core of our new staff here today and yesterday primeing and painting the lobby. We are going from teal and pink to tuscan yellow and juniper green. It will have more a mediteranian feel. Ky is heading up that detail. The kids seem to be having fun. Most of them that worked yesterday, turned up today. We take that as a good sign. We are working them hard, but in the best tradition of hard work, we are feeding them well.

The cinema tech and I have been stripping and cleaning the projectors. We are using ZEP Purple degreaser. The old projectors cleaned up very well. The new projectors paint came right off. That silver paint Strong uses on the Simplex jumps off the aluminium. So be carefull with that stuff. We now have the cleanest XL's I have ever seen. We will tear apart the lamphouses next and get the bad reflectors out. My hands are raw from the chemicals.

We had the cover of the entertainment section of the local paper this Sunday and the artical at the top of this post. Our phone is beginning to ring off the hook. A lot of people are asking all kinds of questions, things like "when are you going to open? What are your show times? Are you showing movies now." I love it when they walk into the lobby full of painters and construction workers and ask what is showing this evening.

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 01-11-2000 01:59 AM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well after much ado, we finally have our opening line up of films for our little five plex. Here they are:

Mansfield Park
Girl Interrupted
Princess Mononoke / Being John Malkovich (split)
American Beauty (on its own screen so Ian doesn't have to go change the manual masking)
Some Like It Hot / North by Northwest (split)
in the small house both in brand new prints.

Should be fun. Fortunately we've hired most of the previous operators staff (17 year-olds) but are adding a few older mostly art student types to the mix (perfect for an art house)

We'll keep you posted as to how it goes.

Thanks to everyone for their encouragement. We'll send pics to the warehouse soon.

Ky

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2000 09:48 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we replaced 7 of our ten lenses in the complex with Schneider lenses. We put a new reflector in #2 because the old one was flakeing. We put new lamps in all the houses. Things are starting to look up. The difference in contrast between the old lenses and new lenses was dramatic. Even a few of our non cinemas friends were impressed. Does anyone have a use for 7 paperweights (old lenses)?

ps: BF new lenses for the Nugget and the Masons has been on my hit list for a couple of years. It makes that much difference. It is good to see what you are spending your money on make that much improvement.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 01-12-2000 12:10 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian:

I guess this means you won't be out to ski this year. Not to worry, the conditions suck right now, even tho Luci and I are going out this afternoon.

It's hard to justify spending the money for new lenses when you have had a series of 15-one year leases. Lenses, unlike so many other theatre parts, are not interchangeable and are absolutely site-specific.

You boys do good now. Stay out of trouble, book great movies and have fine work and fun.

Buena suerte!!

BF

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2000 04:49 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, I don't need a paperweight, but could use a lens with a focal length shorter than 3" for my home setup. You can E-mail me at jeffs@netusa1.net Jeff

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2000 05:08 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we made it. The carpet was being laid an hour before the show. The cabinet people were one step ahead of the concession kids. We had about 600 people for our first two shows. We only had one film give us problems. American Beauty had 4 bad splices in it. We taped the end so we could make repairs and forgot to undo the end and it messed up our platter. So I get to buy some platter parts on Monday.

People seem enthusiastic about our theatre project. I hope we can convince them to return. The pictures look good on the screen, so that's something.

"The worlds best cinema tech" left town this morning, so we are on our own. Ky and I need sleep. There are no days off in our future.

Our per cap in the concession stand was $1.42 so we can work on that.

We will post before and after pictures of the lobby and the booth after a while.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-15-2000 05:26 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Ian! $1.42/head at concessions is pretty darn good! Especially for a startup operation!

Best of luck in the future.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: