Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Exenon Lamps

Author Topic: Exenon Lamps
Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2000 06:20 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There seems to be conflicting ideas on what is the correct way to operate Exenon lamps.Is it best to leave them on from start to last session or run them on stand by in between sessions or turn them off and strike them back on when the session starts. At the plex I worked at a couple of years go the automation(pennywise/easymation)put the lamp to stand by at the end of the session and when the projector started for the next session it put the lamp back to full power,then about 6 months later the techs came back for a service and took that function out and the lamps then shut off at the end of the current session.They said that it reduces the lamps life leaving them on standby.Now I always understood that continually striking them also reduces thier life,perhaps the service companies want to sell more bulbs.At other sites I have worked at also shut down the lamps.I pefer to leave them running to the end of the day,providing that there is a good exhaust system in place.

------------------

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-06-2000 06:39 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that xenon lamps should never be operated at less than 80% of their rating.

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2000 07:23 PM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the labs, the xenon lamps stay on all day. they turn them on first thing in the morning, and don't shut them down untill they are done with that room at the end of the day.
Of course they have people running all of the rolls manually, closing the hand dousers after the roll is finished.
They also read the light on the screen EVERY TIME a lens is changed.
When they get rid of a bulb, it is usually still in very good shape.

------------------

Scott

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2000 07:49 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Imax 15kw lamps are operated on standby. Full current is about 400 amps and standby current
270-280.

------------------

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-08-2000 02:39 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's true, but the IMAX also extinguishes one lamp going from a 3D to a 2D show, even if 3D follows it again. This can happen up to 14 times a day during those 'fabulous' times when it's 2D...3D...2D...3D...

Fun, Fun, Fun...

------------------
John

Reeve Byrne
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2000 02:55 AM      Profile for Reeve Byrne   Email Reeve Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was alwasy told to turn them on ten to twenty minutes before the first show and turn them off no less then ten minutes after the first show. But otherwise than that to keep them on all day.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: