Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technical Questions

Author Topic: Technical Questions
Paul Rich
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2000 03:57 AM      Profile for Paul Rich   Email Paul Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, this is my first post to this forum and hopefully not the last. I'm on the floor staff at a 3 month old Carmike 16 plex.

I have noticed several things that I was wondering about. First, I have noticed on one auitorium that prints shown in it end up having vertical lines on the film. I haven't noticed this on prints that started in other auditoriums. It's real bad and annoying. What's the problem?

Second, another auditorium has a problem with flicker. Is this because of the bulb? Films are always not framed properly in this auditorium either. They're too high.

Thank you.

------------------

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-06-2000 04:02 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell us everything you can about the booth at your theater. The vertical lines are scratches in the film due to the projectionist misthreading, failing to properly clean the projector or there is something mechanically creating the scratches. Commonly this is the big screen with the "70mm" projector and the extra sets of sprockets confuses some projectionists.

The flicker could be caused by the bulb, perhaps there is an open diode in the rectifier, lots of things. As to the framing, there is a control generally labeled "frame" that the projectionist can turn slightly in one direction or the other to properly center the image vertically. If it is not centered horizontally, then this is an entirely different problem.

Let us know make, models, anything you can about your booth and we'll help ya as best we can.

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2000 07:15 AM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The flicker could also be caused by a loose main mirror. I ran into this problem a couple of years ago, when working extra at a triple-screen theatre in town. Their largest screen flickered its way through shows in an irregular, rather anoying manner, and I couldn't stand the thought of having anyone pay for a show in that auditorium. So after checking the condition of the bulb, I had a quick look around in the lamphouse and discovered that the mirror wasn't secured; it could move several millimeters in every direction.

It was easy enough for me to replace the washer and tighten the screws between shows, but I don't recommend it to anyone not used to messing around in lamphouses since there is always a risk connected to opening a lamphouse.

Of course, a thousand other things could also cause the flicker, so good luck!

Paul Rich
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2000 03:58 PM      Profile for Paul Rich   Email Paul Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know we have Christie projectors, but I'm not sure of the exact model, and autowind (I'm guessing AW3R).

I'll find out tomorrow.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-06-2000 04:27 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't think your Christie's are old enough yet, but when the shutter belt starts to wear out the image will have a stroby type of flicker. The entire screen flickers, not just a portion of it. If it is only a portion of the screen flickering, then it is the xenon bulb. If the shutter belt was installed too tight at the factory (unlikely) or during install (possible) then it could wear down quickly as a result. Depending on the tension, you will usually have about 2 weeks to change out a shuuter belt when you notice it flickering before it breaks completely.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: