Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Y2K

Author Topic: Y2K
Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 08:42 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have any problems with Y2K at their theatre as yet?Havent heard any thing down here in Oz of any problems, as for my plex there was'nt any as its not open yet.

------------------

|  IP: Logged

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 08:59 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Y2K? While we're still running 35mm,we don't have to worry about the computer meltdown! (can DLP make that brag? ) Well,at least not worry about it in the booth.

It seems our management computers made the trip ok.

--Chris

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 09:28 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ZERO problems, everything is fine.

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2000 03:12 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problems here! I was somewhat worried seeing as we have somewhat earlier versions of the CP500, SDDS and DTS processors, but everything came through smooth. Although the 35mm film is guaranteed Y2K compliant, the sound equpment is almost nothing but computer chips anymore. Ah well, I guess we can put all those fears to rest.

-Mike

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2000 10:01 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DLP and Cinemark - Legacy working fine.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2000 02:52 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most folks survived Y2K OK, but we had a very minor problem with our Ready Theater System box office computers. Nobody, it seems, can get them to stop flashing the auditorium size and number of seats sold. Also, its rumored that the box employees were told not to shut off the CPU at all, and forever, after January 1. They work just fine as far as keeping records of attendance and figuring customer change, however. Personally, I don't care if they crashed or not. We wanted a better system when we bought the Ready, and frankly, most of the managers hoped the damn thing would self-destruct at midnight anyway.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-06-2000 06:48 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody notice that there are all these people just looking for Y2K failures?

First, it was whether the lights would go out at 12:00. Then, it was everybody waiting to see what happened on Monday when the stock market opened. Now, I hear that the next big thing is on 10/10/2000, because that's the first day when there is two digits in the month and day.

Jeez! Don't they have a bedtime?

Nicholas McRobert
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2000 07:04 PM      Profile for Nicholas McRobert   Email Nicholas McRobert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several of our floor/concessions staff malfunctioned and failed to turn up for work on 2nd January when we reopened. Apart from that, Belfast survived!

Nicholas

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2000 12:58 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our file server thinks it is 1/7/100... But everything still works..

I was a little worried about my Christie 3Q automations though...

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2000 07:16 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the next Y2K day is Feb. 29th, the millenium leap year.

:-)

Christopher A Kerr
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2000 07:00 PM      Profile for Christopher A Kerr   Email Christopher A Kerr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our boxoffice computer at my sister theatre crashed and printed all the tickets and reports of 4 Jan 1980. We just reset the date (with a little work to get it to stay that way) and after that everything ran ok.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-10-2000 07:43 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah! If you've got a computer, VCR, etc. that won't roll over to Y2K properly, just set it to the year 1972 if you can. All the days and dates match up. You'll just have remember that 1972=2000.

Andy Davis
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2000 01:32 AM      Profile for Andy Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No major problems at my theatre except that a few reports wouldn't print out. I tried to do my weekly time update on the box office computer server but due to a "Y2K Bug" the server crashes when I try to change the time. I usually check to see if the box office computer time is synchronized with the booth clocks but as of this year, it hasn't been possible. Anybody else running Pacer CATS version 4 encounter this problem?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-11-2000 09:07 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least "Automaticket" machines still handle four-digit dates properly (or, more specifically, they aren't aware of the date!).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: