Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Booth Tours (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Booth Tours
Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 03:36 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many of you folks give booth tours? I like to give them, not because I take pride in showing off the booth, but because I believe it _is_ the true movie magic experience. Over the years, I've had only one or two people ever ask to look in the booth, either before or after their show, but I've been approached by Boy and Girl Scout Troops about touring prior to a private screening on Saturday mornings.

Sometimes I iniciate the tour myself. Last night, a friend of mine returned home from living in Japan. I gave him and his girlfriend, Yuki, a tour upstairs. It was fairly tough explaining projectors to a girl who knows only the words "hello" and "good-bye"! Fortunately, my friend is a good translater. Anyway, how many tours do you give a year, who do you give them to, have you ever seen any tourist board with the booth? (I haven't!)

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-05-2000 04:10 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, we give them pretty often. It started out as a training exercise when we opened the theatre. All the new guys whould have to explain the projectors to their families and friends during the opening night 'party'. (On opening night only families or friends could come if you gave them an invitation.) Theory is that you learn things better if you have to explain it to somebody else.

Now, if there's a private showing or a birthday party, etc. I pretty often end up giving a tour too. Mostly it's Girl Scout troops or schools. (It's kind of a fashionable thing for the Scouts) I like doing it. Plus it also gives people a better idea of what goes on upstairs. A lot less people get bent out of shape about minor problems if they've seen the booth and understand that there's not a 'guy' standing by every projector like in the 'old days'.

I keep a copy of Eyewitness Book of FILM and a zoetrope in the cabinet and some frame clips of old kid's trailers on hand just for the purpose.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-05-2000 04:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I rarely give them. We have district offices upstairs and having a bunch of strangers wandering around probably isn't the best idea. We did give them perhaps one a month at my last theater. Generally they were for: employee's family/friends or scout troops. The only time I would ever instigate a tour was with an irate customer telling me to "go hit the rewind button." It was always fun to watch their expression once they saw what really happens upstairs.

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 05:18 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, everybody!

Since this is my first post in this forum, I guess it's polite to at least say hello before replying to the subject at hand. I'm very pleased to meet you all.

I do give booth tours a couple of times a year, most of them more or less involuntary. Most of these tours happen when filmmakers visit the booth during the annual Göteborg Film Festival, to tell me that their films should play louder. (This is usually right before the patrons find their way out to complain about the volume...) The filmmakers almost invariably want to have a closer look at the equipment while they're visiting, and I usually comply.

There is a festival coming up at my theatre, the Draken in Göteborg, Sweden, at the end of this month so I will get my share of visits, I'm sure.

It does happen that a patron visits, too, out of interest or to complain about something. A nice middle-aged lady visited me during a film festival a couple of years ago, to ask me to please lift the screen a few feet higher before the next show. She admitted that she was a bit on the short side, but maintained that the screen was my responsibility. She also claimed that our "subtitling machine" didn't work because the last film she had watched was subtitled in French.

The second I heard the door close below the stairs, I collapsed, laughing.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 05:50 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I myself have given a few booth tours, mostly during the Boy/Girl Scouts visits like pretty much everyone here, as well as birthday parties, at one or two of the theatres the birthday child got to hit the "start" button. They usually get quite a kick out of that. Not hard to impress a 8yr old...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-05-2000 06:08 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is in the troopmaster's manual that every Boy/Girl/Cub scout troop MUST visit every single projection booth in the entire world! I get a lot of those. They are really never interested in anything except the movies that they can see playing through the portholes.

I used to work for UA and we had district office in the theatre and the home office corporate people were there all of the time as well. I have never given so many booth tours in my life! We had to tour everybody! Even John Tesh! Wow!

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 06:21 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We let anyone with an interest in movies have a peek in the booth. I have shown all my friends,who are just amazed at what really goes on.

That's where I got started in this gig. Someone was nice enough to show me the booth and satisfy my curious nature. I'm glad for that, and never forget it when a kid comes up and wants to see the projector!

--Chris

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 08:24 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The company I last worked for set up a school programe which was to give kids and teachers an insight on how a cinema operates.This was usually arranged when the school came to see a movie.The company had speacial spool made up of a couple of old newsreels trls of old movies and old film ads etc which was shown to them before the tour or after.Its a good idea as it gives them an idea on how things are done usually the kids are more intrested in films that are running at the time rather than ask questions usually the teachers do all the asking of questions.As technical manager of the location at the time it was my task to conduct tours one day I had 8 goups of 25 come through in one morning it was a battle trying to keep them from steping on moveing film,I was glad to see them go that day.

------------------

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-05-2000 09:25 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I have given a few booth tours, it happens very rarely. Sad to say, except to waving to little kids through the window, no one cares. Although one time when I was running "Temple of Doom," a father of a little kid came in. He said his kid was scared of the movie, and asked if he could bring his kid in to see the projectors and "prove" that it was just a movie- that there were no bad guys. The kid came in and looked, but I could see he was still skeptical.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-05-2000 09:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I never had the problem with kids wanting to look out the port windows. The scoutmasters (or whatever the parental figures are called) would always keep them away for fear they would see a nood scene.

I used to run the movies on the bottom 2 platters for planned kiddie tours. Otherwise they would try and grab a platter deck to pull themselves up to get a peek!!! Using the lower 2 decks, they could see everything.

Anyone else notice that even though ALL the prints look the same on the platter, all they're interestd in is "what's that movie"? By the way, cut up an old trailer and give them all a few feet. They go crazy over it. (But make sure they're all the same length! Otherwise an argument will ensue over who got the biggest piece.)

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-05-2000 09:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least once a week I do tours of the Imax booth
It usually starts with a grop that has climbed up on the back row to look in the giant booth wide port

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-05-2000 11:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yah I always cut up a trailer for the kiddies.

The IMAX out here is staffed by a**holes. They always deny booth tours. The projectionist says that he is "too busy" even though you can easilly see him sitting on his ass doing absolutely nothing! Therefore I have a very low opinion of IMAX.

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2000 03:03 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only get a few of these a year, usually organized through a school or kiddie club. The only problem I have with doing them is that there isn't much you can tell an eight year old about the process. You show them the pictures on the film, how it moves from platter to projector and back, and how the light shines through to put the picture on the screen and that's about it. Fifteen minutes tops (although you can extend the excitement by handing out old trailer chunks as mentioned above)! This generally irritates the kiddie's supervisors who were expecting to kill a lot more time with no effort on their part. I suppose I could start yammering about the 1:1.85 screen ratio, 16 Footlamberts, 24 frames per second, the digital encoding matrix and so forth, but this usualy results in blank, glassy eyed stares.

-Mike

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-06-2000 04:28 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have given many a brierf tour to anyone that was curious enough to want to know more about how the films were projected at our theatres... I would invite them in for a little booth tour and of course, answer any questions that they had...

Don't forget that in the late 60s and early 70s I too was a 'booth watcher' and i am merely returning the favor

-Aaron

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-06-2000 06:17 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael: To kill time just pull out all of your equipment manuals, gather the kiddies around and start reading to them word for word, pausing when there is an illustration to show everybody. You will never have another booth tour again!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: