Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Weirdest Theater Encounter? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Weirdest Theater Encounter?
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-1999 01:16 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering what was some of the weirdest theater encounters you have ever had?
I once found a drunk guy passed out in an aisle of a theater that no one was in.

Another time I walked in on two teenagers that were doing the horizontal lambada in an aisle while their friend contently watched the film.

Joshua Waaland

|  IP: Logged

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-1999 03:25 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, not all theatre encounters are humorous, some can be quite serious.

Such was the case at a drive-in in Ottawa, Ontario about 14 years ago.

The assistant manageress had received complaints about someone playing their van stereo excessivley loud. Since the show hadn't started yet, and the usher was busy down front, the projectionist volunteered to go and talk to the guy in the van.

He got stabbed to death for his efforts.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-05-2000 03:19 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Striptease was playing there was a rash of guys comming out to the concession stand to get big piles of napkins. Some of the ushers were complaining about the large numbers of 'snot rags' on the floor. I told them, "It isn't snot'. Go get a pair of plastic gloves from the scullery." All but of a few of them got it.

Also, there was the one time somebody took a huge dump on the floor. I don't envy ushers, sometimes.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 03:43 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Human Fecal Matter

(It must be a Pennsylvania thing.)

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 03:58 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fecal matter thing is not just a Pennsylvania thing. When I was an assistant manager in Chesapeake VA., the janitor came to me and told "I ain't doing it, now way." After investistigating, it appeared an adult left a gift in between seats for the janitor. It was HUGE. Anyhoo, I think it was more a critique of the movie than anything else. The movie was Whoopie Goldberg's "Eddie".

------------------
Chris Duvall
General Manager
Regal Cinemas Harrisonburg 14

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-05-2000 05:04 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no end of weirdness in movie theatres...

Let's see... The entire football team came to our theater to see, "All the Right Moves." During and after the film, all of them did doody in the same toilet. It looked like something out of "Dogma." We seriously consitered closing the theater, we were so grossed out...

I had to stop, "Pulp Fiction" for a guy who had a heart attack. It was during the needle scene. He was in the center of a row of seats. The owners got a little cheap, and put the seat rows really close together, so the EMS guys could not get a stretcher in; they could hardly get in themselves. It was really creepy: the EMS guys were zapping him with the de-fib while he's sitting up in his seat with his shirt ripped open. He died en route.

I had to stop, "Hoffa" for a guy who had an LSD flashback. He jumped up on the stage, and started to shout nonsense things: "Woody Allen's pregnent and the FBI knows. He's been there, I know....." Some idiot in the front row says; "Let's get out of here, he may have a gun." (There are 500 people in the theater.) Mr. Wackoo says; "A gun? You want to see my gun...?" He unzips his fly and pulls his thingy out and waves it around. Cops grab him, we give out about 500 passes, nothing really bad happens..

A patron waiting on line (outside) has a heart attack. I forget the film, but it was really busy, with a 'ticket holder' line and a 'ticket buyer' line, and several double-parked cars dropping off people on both sides of the street. Several people would not get out of the EMS guy's way, because they didn't want to lose parking spaces they were waiting for. The EMS guy's had to run about half a block to get to the guy. Luckly, the victim was OK.

Another guy died peacefully in his seat. No one knows exactly when, but he sat there for all 5 shows of, "Cutthroat Island" one Saturday. A girl-manager who closed, pushed him, thinking he was sleeping, and he fell out of the seat. She flipped out, and quit the next day. I said to two ushers who worked all day; didn't you notice he never moved? You just swept around him, or what!? They replied; we thought he just really liked the movie....

I should re-title this post to; Dead people in Theaters!

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 05:44 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had people pass out and throw up in theatres during screenings of "The Fly", "Angel Heart" and "The Witches of Eastwick". The latter film was a nuisance to the ushers since something happened almost every day. There was something about that film that simply made peoiple feel ill... It was really gross.

I've had people dance in the auditorium and on stage to the end credits of "True Lies" during its opening night, and I've had a film director insist after a test run that my Zeiss Favorit 70 projectors run at _at_least_ 27 fps, and that we need to do something about it before his film starts.

But my probably weirdest experience occured when I was answering the phone at the box office when things were really slow in the booth. The following conversation took place:

"This is the Draken theatre, Ari speaking. How may I help you?"
"Hi. Do you sell popcorn?"
"Yes."
<click>

I still have no good explanation for this one.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-05-2000 05:54 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently we had a brawl in "Any Giving Sunday" where the projectionist who was working that night had to delay starting the film so the ushers could mop up the blood. Once when I was an assistant manager we had a heart attack victim, I forget the movie. We also had people fainting constantly in the movie "Alive". How could they go in there not knowing what it was about? Also recently I found a large drink cup full of warm pee pee just sitting there in the hallway. People are messed up!

But what really tops it all off happened to a friend of mine, Jeff. Anyway he is the head projectionist at one of our 12 plexes across town, and his booth is comprised of 3 hallways. One of them has a door that is kept unlocked downstairs so the employees can get to their breakroom. Jeff was walking down the main hallway in the booth and passing another when out of the corner of his eye he saw a figure. He turned and looked and to his horror it was a lady squatting down and peeing on the booth carpet next to the projector! I guess she didn't like the presentation! Actually she had wandered upstairs and thought it was the bathroom or something! I don't quite remember how Jeff handled the situation, but I believe he directed her out.

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 06:26 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...besides puke and poop and the 1,000 other usual gross items one finds, a found a drunk guy sleeping in his seat. Could hardly wake him. I thought he was dead!

--Oh,well not TOO much goes on in our small town.

--Chris

Christopher A Kerr
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 06:37 PM      Profile for Christopher A Kerr   Email Christopher A Kerr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used to have a manager at one of our theatres who was probably the biggest moron i have ever met. He somehow managed to pass his provincial projectrionist exam without knowing what an aperature plate was. He asked my assistant manager what one was and when it was explained to him, he replied, "oh, we don't use them i my Vic-5s".

One night, he came out of his office to find that some customer had vomited all over the candy display. Unsure what to do, he called my assitant manager (yes the same one) and asked, "well, what should i do, just clean it all off and put it back?" . Needless to say, he doesn't work here anymore.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 06:57 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a young pup, I worked for a theatre on the East Coast. I was cleaning the theatres two days a week. In the middle of the ladies room was a used tampon. I had to work my nerve up to pick it up nd place it in the trash can.

One night while I was managing Rocky Horror at the end of the film a couple of kids were saying "come on Bob, Lets go Bob." They hauled Bob out to the sidewalk and then came back in and called the paramedics. They worked on Bob for 20 minutes and took him away. I called my boss and said "oh well, at least he died on the sidewalk."

Bob was 19 and had drunk a pint of Shnapps and had a joint. I guess his heart gave out.

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 08:52 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago at the cinema I was working at,After the last sesion had gone in the front of house staff had gone home.I made my way to the candy bar to help myself to a Coke, and heard some noise went to see what was happening and found a couple haveing it off in the foyer on one of the couch's they soon left with red faces,havent seen that sought of thing since my days at the drive-ins.

------------------

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-05-2000 08:53 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ack! We never had anything really gross (besides coke syrup and rice from Rocky Horror) at the place where I worked. Ah, the small pleasures of working in a small-town single-screen art-house...

Anyway, one day while I was signing the shipping receipt for the film "Men With Guns," the delivery guy asked me "do you show movies here?" I really wanted to reply with "no, we just rent them and send them back," but couldn't get up the nerve to do so...in retrospect, I wish that I had.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 09:27 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Things I have seen/found in the auditorium:
People screwing and/or getting a blow job.
Turds on the seats.
Drunks.
Pigeons.
Ghosts.(theater was built over a morgue)
Fireworks/firecrackers.
Bras/panties in the lost and found bin.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-05-2000 10:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I can top everyone here! How about sewage in the water lines!!! Yes, this is a true story, no joking around. At a theater I used to manage, all of the Coke and water lines were ran underneath the floor and somehow (still don't know exactly how this happened) a sewage pipe burst and flooded the PVC pipe "troth" (that the Coke and water lines were ran through) underneath the kitchen/concession stand. Well, it was only a matter of time before those lines didn't withstand being submerged in excrement until one day during the first round of movies, customers came back reporting "this Coke tastes like shit" to the concessionist. (Little did they know how true that was!) She tried other nozzles and continued to get the same complaint so the Coke rescue squad was called. Of course, the real tipoff was when the next order for Sprite came along! Following that was a mystery fluid colored dark brown from the water fountains!

I don't remember the date, but DO know it happened the day the head manager came back from his one week vacation and the day I got to visit the emergency room. (Did I mention I got "severe food poisioning" according to the doctors and was out for almost a week?)

At another theater, they ran Independence day for 24 hours straight it's opening day (meaning the theater was open non-stop for 36 hours). The last show of the opening day was an 11PM show. Everything was counted, staff was sent home, the projectionist left and as I understood it the only people remaining in the building other than customers was a "supervisor" (not true management), regular employee and a rent-a-cop. Picture this, the guys are on board the alien space ship tapping into the alien computer system (miraculously enough Windows compatible!!!) and the countdown is going...7...6...5...4...3..poof, the projector shuts down! Now remember, there is no projectionist in the building, no manager in the building and several hundred pissed off people 10 minutes from finishing the movie at it's climactic point. My friend who was in the theater said a bit of a riot broke out when the announcement was made that they couldn't finish the show because there was no one who knew how to work the projector and all the managers were gone...meaning no refunds and no passes!

Apparently each breaker panel covered TWO projectors and the running machine was shut down on accident.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: