Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Movies featuring theatres (Page 1)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Author Topic: Movies featuring theatres
Gordon Leslie
Film Handler

- posted 12-29-1999 07:35 AM      Profile for Gordon Leslie   Email Gordon Leslie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in movies that have a movie theatre theme about them.There have been some terrific movies in the past , can anyone add to the names below that I could look out for.
"TARGET… with Boris Karloff, where the drive-in projectionist gets it.
DRIVE-IN…. made around 1975 ,shot in Terrell Texas.
"SMALLEST SHOW ON EARTH"…. (British) made somewhere around the "50"s. Absolute classic where the small independent is being driven out by the bigger cinema chain.( sounds familiar).
"CINEMA PARADISO"….

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-1999 10:52 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LAST ACTION HERO, POPCORN, and MATINEE come to mind.
In Last Action Hero, the carbon arc lamphouse has a takeup reel arm attached to the rear of the lamphouse! Makes it look more like a 16mm machine.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-1999 12:28 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Night Of The Comet has a scene where the star is playing with the projectionist by a Century, I think.

Anybody know the title of a Kurt Russell movie that is about their 10 year reunion? There is a theater that is part of the story. I saw part of it on TV recently.

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-29-1999 12:55 PM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though it was already mentioned, Cinema Paradiso is the best movies about the movies, and my all time favorite film, to boot. If anyone in the business hasn't seen it, shame on you, and get to Blockbuster immediately!
There's also the Rodney Dangerfield/Chuck McCann film called The Projectionist, which I've been unable to find anywhere. Another great scene is the exchange between Paul Bartel as a theatre manager and an irate woman patron in Gremlins 2, in which he dryly informs her that "We don't make them, maam, we only show them." I've always wanted to used that line.
Another wonderful movie about the movies is Woody Allen's Purple Rose Of Cairo. While not about a theatre, per say, a lot of the action does take place there.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-1999 01:06 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Tom,

I own a copy of Cinema Paradiso and would have to say without a doubt it is my favorite movie to date. It was filmed in Italian and is subtitled in English.

I first saw it a few years ago when I was looking for movies on projectionists. I really felt that it conveyed the job as a projectionist well. You should definitely rent it!

Joshua Waaland

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-29-1999 01:12 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about Buster Keaton's "Sherlock, Jr."? Check out the silent-era Powers projectors!

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-1999 03:43 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projectionist was a quick lunch for "The Blob".

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-29-1999 08:02 PM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the little seen "The Inner Circle". Columbia Pictures - 1991. Starring Tom Hulce as a projectionist in Russia who gets hired to become the Kremlin projectionist. Also stars Lolita Davidovich, and Bob Hoskins. Directed by Andrei Konchalovsky (also directed Runaway Train). Based on the true story of Ivan Sanshin.

------------------

Scott

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-04-2000 10:48 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>"The projectionist was a quick lunch for "The Blob"."<<

Funny you should mention _The Blob_. That theatre was/is an acutal theatre located in Phoenixville, PA and is called the Colonial theatre. We just got them reopened a few months ago.

From what I can tell, they used the actual projection booth in the film! They are coming back slow so the original Simplex E-7 projectors are still in use.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 12:09 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the Brian DePalma movie "Phantom of the Paradise", there's a sniper in the projection booth.

Don't go getting any ideas.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 03:46 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting that whenever you see a booth in a movie, it's a chnageover booth. Has anyone ever seen a platter system in a movie? Even modern mutiplexes are running reel to reel, according to Hollywood.

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 05:26 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Madonna dating a projectionist in "Desperately Seeking Susan" some fifteen years ago? I seem to remember images from an unnamed (changeover, of course) booth in that film. Or was it Rosanne Arquette?

There was an Italian horror flick during the late seventies, where just about all action took place in a movie theatre. I've long since forgotten most of the story, not to mention the name of the masterpiece, but the end scene is quite memorable: a main character in the film, one of the patrons in the auditorium, gets shot by the western hero on the movie screen.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-05-2000 05:41 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although this was mentioned on another thread, this list wouldn't be complete without the recent "Fight Club" which had your typical dirty changeover booth, as they are portrayed in movies.

Mike Bianchi
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 08:18 PM      Profile for Mike Bianchi   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Bianchi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1959 classic Some Came Running (Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Shirley MacLaine) features several minutes outside the Ohio Theatre in Madison, Indiana where the picture was filmed.

The theatre is shown near the end of the film, during the Carnival scene (although much of it is cut off in pan & scan versions).

The Ohio was refurbished in 1996 and runs mid-run and classics now, I'm a partner, but the theatre is owned & operated by Tony & Laura Ratcliff - Tony is a frequent lurker here - Hi Tony

Sorry to be so brash, but I had to dote on the place...

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-05-2000 09:35 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SMALLEST SHOW ON EARTH
Yeah, I forgot about that movie! It was a good film. I remember the drunk projectionist starting the old projectors, which had in-front-of-the-lens shutters.

What about "Omega Man," where C. Heston starts a little generator (that wouldn't even power the sound system alone,) throws a big arc lamp, and watches, "Woodstock."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: