Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Fully automated cinemas

Author Topic: Fully automated cinemas
Gordon Leslie
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-1999 08:01 AM      Profile for Gordon Leslie   Email Gordon Leslie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a discussion back in the mid "80"s with regard to fully automated cinemas , apparently at the time there was or is a cinema in San Francisco I believe that is totally automated from the booth down to ticket sales and usher duties. I was told this cinemas ' computer system new where every person was sitting in the auditorium and a lighting system in the floor directed you to a vacant seat within the cinema when the feature was is progress. Anyone know if this cinema is still operating or know of other fully automated cinemas that have no staff in attendance except for close circuit tv.I would be interested to know how successful this concept has been.

|  IP: Logged

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-28-1999 02:36 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ug! What a horrid idea! Back when I was an usher, I got into a discussion with my manager about that. His point was how easily it could be done. My point was, "but why would you do it?" How creepy is it to walk into a theatre and be served by machines (that would break down half the time anyway)? I am against any technology that eliminates human jobs.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-1999 09:37 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the theatre is completely automated, how do the bathrooms get cleaned?

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-28-1999 11:22 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sounds sorta like Radiant.

Kenn Fong
Film Handler

- posted 12-29-1999 12:47 AM      Profile for Kenn Fong   Author's Homepage   Email Kenn Fong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To the best of my knowledge, this theatre does not exist, and may never have existed. I've lived here in the Bay Area since 1969 and have never seen or heard of it.

------------------
Kenn Fong
http://www.qwertyuiop.net
Screenwriter's Home Page

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-29-1999 02:14 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How would the computers kick the hoodlums out who start fights in your theatre?

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-1999 02:16 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt that there was any affordable computer technology in the mid-80s to handle all those complex tasks. What film equipment would it have used, anyway? ELF platters? Would any self-respecting theater use those?

And Erika, I would agree with you on that last sentiment, but... it seems that ALL technology generally eliminates human jobs... except of course for techie jobs....

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2000 03:21 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ELF's!?! Ewww! What a horrible concept. Although I would have to agree that all technology in some way eliminates human jobs, it also creates better work for those of us who can adapt to do it. Without technology all of us would still be making shadow puppets in front of a campfire to amuse our friends.

-Mike

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-06-2000 07:25 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do people always seem to want technology just for technology's sake? Don't get me wrong, I want to get my hands on one of those new DLP digital movie projectors but why rip out your $50,000 movie projector just to install a $250,000 movie projector?

That's like buying a $200 DeWalt cordless screw gun just to tighten a screw when a $1.99 Philips head would do the trick!

Even though I like new gadgets and stuff, I like to think I have enough common sense to know what's the right tool for the job.

Just because it's "digital" doesn't make it better.... I hear all these people clamoring about "digital" movies and saying, "That looks pretty good!"..... Well, when you get a "digital" projector that can show a 1/2 way decent 50 foot high picture from 100 yards away, give me a call.

(Flame-off!)

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2000 06:58 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard rumors about this a few years ago but from what I remember nothing came of it thankfully.Anyway I dont like seeing good proffesional projectionist and other cinema staff end up on the dole,things are hard enough for cinema staff in the industry without the threat of loosing jobs.I worked at a cinema complex 12 months ago where the automation closed the doors when the feature commenced.

------------------

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: