Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CDS is alive and kicking???

Author Topic: CDS is alive and kicking???
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-27-1999 05:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it's been about 10 years now since the demise of CDS...but prints are STILL AROUND!

Terminator 2 is to show this coming weekend at the Granada Prestonwood in 70mm...and Technicolor sent them a CDS print! The original "NFS/Highway films" stamp was still on the cans from a theater in Dayton Ohio where it played last...and it's ashamed it's a CDS print because it was in lab mint condition!!! (Kudos goes to the projectionists there at the time *or* a shameful finger is twitched at the CDS format for failing them on opening weekend forcing the use of the backup print.)

Anyone know of a 70mm/CDS equipped theater still around with everything set up? I can't imagine how bad the odds would be on such a thing...so off to the junking pile this perfect condition print will go.

(P.S. the theater will still be running the title in 70mm mag this weekend.)

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-27-1999 11:05 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the folks at Boston Light & Sound have a fully-functional CDS system in storage...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-27-1999 11:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
...and I'm sure it will forever remain there.

Perhaps they can set aside the space on the shelf beside it for a fully functional SDDS unit too.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-28-1999 05:18 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Well, the folks at Boston Light & Sound have a fully-functional CDS system in storage..."

"Perhaps they can set aside the space on the shelf beside it for a fully functional SDDS unit too."

"... and tonight on History Mysteries....

It used to be the digital sound system of a major studio and corporation, but then the crowds lost interest and they went to landfills everywhere. Here on the History Channel we finally find the last SDDS unit at the Podunk Theater in Woodbridge, New Jersey. Stay Tuned!....."

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-04-2000 11:10 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a VistaScope theatre that uses CDS

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-05-2000 12:58 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And they use it how? They get their prints from where? Curious.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 08:23 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
Do you happen to know what Dayton theatre this was from? I don't know of any Dayton house with CDS. I'm quite sure none played any 70mm version of TII. I know the New Neon shows 70mm sometimes, and I wonder if they got the print when they requested a 70mm version, so they couldn't show it either. (New Neon is the Cinerama house, that gets lots of help from John Harvey).

Mark L.

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 09:04 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and I'm sure it will forever remain there.
Perhaps they can set aside the space on the shelf beside it for a fully functional SDDS unit too.

Isn't that an oxymoron? Fully functional and SDDS?

--Chris

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-05-2000 09:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't the New Neon Movies. I would've remembered that. I'm sure the print has long been picked up by now or I would call over and ask them to check the label. I DO know it had an old 1991 shipping date on it to Dayton, Ohio. Technicolor's print number was #6, if anyone is interested. They have 5 magnetic prints of that title as well in inventory.

...and yes, that was an oxymoron. Good eye.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-06-2000 09:47 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vista Scope used a modified DP70 pulling 8perf operation with CDS sound
Ithink there is still one in the Atlanta area

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: