Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Problems at new cinema

Author Topic: Problems at new cinema
Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-1999 12:28 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A mate of mine interstate rang me the other day(he is also a projectionist) to tell me about the opening of a new 4 screen in his area.On opening night it went perfect.Good focus rock steady image on the screen etc.The next day things were'nt so good, uneven focus, unsteady picture,uneven light on the screen,and to top it off the print of the latest Bond flick was badly scrathched throughout.These days all this seems to be the norm.I'll will be involved with the opening of a new 8 screen in my area at the end of January and I now that this wont happen (I hope) as the projection staff including myself will be experienced and the equipment will be well proven Kinoton projectors and platters with Dolby Digital E.X in all cinemas.But as with all new openings things do happen even with experienced projectionists I for one hope it dose'nt .

------------------

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-1999 12:48 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What make was the projector? Was the gate closed all the way? Was there oil in the machine? Is the equipment brand new or used? Was the equipment threaded properly and cleaned after each show?

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-1999 06:13 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, after enquiring, the projectors are Christies (new) and the platters I believe are 2nd hand dont know weather they are christie or not.also there is only one experienced casual projectionist and rest are pop corn sellers so there is the cause of the problem I presume.

------------------

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-26-1999 02:45 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't worry about problems at a newly opened theater too much- at least not right away. I've been lucky (or unlucky!) enough to be involved in 8 new or newly cut-up theaters, and there's always a big panic starting about 3 weekes before and continuing to opening day. We've destroyed prints, allowed concrete dust to scratch up reflectors, aligned projectors to the screen while the trailers (for a paying audience) are running, had new exhuast fans failing and bulbs exploding, no sound in some channels, etc, etc. I wish someone filmed us the time when 6 people put a Xetron platter (in boxes) together and ran a show- in 15 min!

As things get fixed and people get used to how to operate the new place, it will run better. Hopefully, the owners will keep working on the place and finish up the loose ends, which sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't. It's really just, "one problem at a time."

At each projector, hang a peice of paper and a pencil and write down what's not working so operators know what to watch for when threading and starting. People can add comments or cross them off as needed.

But remember, push as hard as you can. No theater get the kind of attention like a new theater. And as the weeks go by, everyone starts to forget things. Your company may only have a few weeks to complain to the GC about doors that won't close, cracked walls, leaky roofs. Usually (but not always), the people who install the projection equipment are better, because they will have to come back and service it someday. Make sure your complants are known to whoever is in charge of projection, and sooner the better. Your company only has a limited time to make any claims.

And don't be surprised if (unknown to you) the owners make a deal with the installers to pay less money and not come back and fix small problems.

Generally speaking, how do the owners run their company and other theaters? That's how this new place will run also.

Megan Penmann
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2000 03:46 AM      Profile for Megan Penmann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely agree with John on that.
We just opened a brand new 16 screen about 3 weeks ago, with 8 projectionists (all with at least a year's experience) and things are still going wrong.
Automation on half the projectors is not working, the surround speakers are not hooked up in one auditorium (which we're showing films in for paying customers!), 2 (brand new) projectors have oil leaks, a print was scratched on opening day because of misaligned rollers (up until then the only prints we had run were older and pre-scratched), lamps have been misaligned, and only now has it been realized that 4 of our platter systems were set up right underneath air conditioning vents.
Bugs will eventually be worked out, and the techs are supposed to come back and fix *everything* next week. Hopefully they will.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-08-2000 01:15 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On new installs, it's a good idea to have a tech stay with the theatre for the first few days. We've been doing that for several years now and it makes things much smoother.

Of course, there will ALWAYS be some kind of problem... you can expect it. New equipment isn't always "tested" at the factory, if at all!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: