Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Regal Cinemas and Dreamworks (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Regal Cinemas and Dreamworks
Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-25-1999 08:20 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know what the conflict is between these 2? No regal Cinemas are carrying "Galaxy Quest" and are pulling all their prints of "American Beauty" along with all trailers for Dreamworks' "El Dorado" and "Gladiator"

hmmm... I smell something fishy and I think his name is Spielberg...

|  IP: Logged

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-1999 10:56 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember General Enema having a similar problem with Dreamworks.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-1999 01:04 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like Regal "forgot" to pay their film rental.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-26-1999 08:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every Regal? That's quite a few theatres! Must be something fairly serious. I'm sure we'll read about it in trade publications (hopefully). At least Dreamworks has the guts to actually take the (huge) loss and do it. Maybe one of Regal's theatres scratched a print. I would love it if that's the way things worked. It would guarantee competant, highly paid professionals in the booth.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-1999 02:08 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DELETED POST

Andrew D'Vrey
Film Handler

- posted 12-27-1999 03:21 AM      Profile for Andrew D'Vrey   Email Andrew D'Vrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont' think Regal Cinemas alone could be enough to change Dreamworks' mind. Even if they are the biggest movie chain. If anything, Dreamworks bennefits from this move by improving showmanship and presentation quality of its movies.

Galaxy Quest opened at at No. 8 with a two-day sum of $8.1 million. Not bad for a two day run without Regal. I don't think Dreamworks will be crying.

------------------
"And the monkey flips the switch."
- Major Don West, "Lost In Space"

Andrew D'Vrey
IATSE Local 219

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-1999 02:05 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>Galaxy Quest opened at at No. 8 with a two-day sum of $8.1 million. Not bad for a two day run without Regal. I don't think Dreamworks will be crying.

Yeah, considering Mr. Ripley brought home 14mil in 2 days WITH Regal. Honestly tell me that Galaxy Quest wouldn't have beat Mr. Ripley if it was playing on 2+ screens in Regal's multi-plexes.

Yes, the 95%+ thing is absolutely true.

and I consider it a personal insult generalising all Regal Cinemas as bad presentaion. If you are going to slam someone for presentation, do it by specific theater, not by a whole chain.
My Regal is flawless because I actually give a shit about the customers that are now paying 7.75 for a movie ticket.

grrr. that makes my blood boil.

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-1999 05:35 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, Tyler. Here's someone to say something GOOD about the top dog Regal (Listed as the number 1 entry in the current Boxoffice magazine in the article "Top 50 Theater Giants). I live near Lexington,KY where Regal just opened the Hamburg Pavilion 16. It's presentation and service was great. That theater one-ups all in that town if they keep that level of good service up. An usher opened the auditorium door for us and wished us a good show. Don't see that in many places. Prices are good too.

I agree that bad presentations shouldn't be classed to a chain,unless the whole chain seems to have the "if it's on the screen,hell with it" attitude,and even in AMC's you find good presentations. (You just have to look harder! ) Just kidding.

--Chris

Andrew D'Vrey
Film Handler

- posted 12-27-1999 10:55 PM      Profile for Andrew D'Vrey   Email Andrew D'Vrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right...I apologize. All Regals are not that bad. Some decent projectionists are willing to work for starving wages. I'll simply stick to the one near me. It is HORRID!

------------------
"And the monkey flips the switch."
- Major Don West, "Lost In Space"

Andrew D'Vrey
IATSE Local 219

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2000 07:31 PM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI - Just in case anyone missed it:
(12-28-99)
(The Hollywood Reporter) In what sources describe as a dispute over firm financial terms for the movie's
release, Regal Cinemas is not showing DreamWorks' Tim Allen science-fiction comedy "Galaxy Quest,"
which opened Christmas Day. "We are not playing 'Galaxy Quest' at our theaters," Regal Senior Vice
President of Marketing and Advertising Phil Zacharetti said in a telephone interview from his office last
week. "But we do not discuss our relationships with our distributors." Two sources from competing
companies in the exhibition industry confirmed that because DreamWorks is a firm-term company that sets
conditions in advance of their films' openings and does not adjust these terms if a film does not do well,
Regal is concerned about the boxoffice prospects of "Galaxy Quest," which opened to an estimated $8.1
million on its opening weekend.

------------------

Scott

Reeve Byrne
Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2000 02:25 AM      Profile for Reeve Byrne   Email Reeve Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In all fairness 95% is alittle high. But both missed out on a lot of money.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-07-2000 03:51 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Something's going on between United Artists and New Line as well. Perhaps New Line felt their incredible masterpiece "Tumbleweeds" shouldn't have been dropped across the country after 2 weeks and $20 at the box office. Anyone know more on this?

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2000 12:48 PM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about anything going on between these two, Brad. But in all fairness the movie opened on 5 screens and did $41,200 on the opening weekend, and as of this last weekend was up to a little over.....100 BILLION DOLLARS (sorry, could not resist a little Dr. Evil) 1 million dollars. Not to bad.

------------------

Scott

Andy Davis
Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2000 11:44 PM      Profile for Andy Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exhibitors have to hold their ground or distributors will milk them for every cent they can get. I heard BVD went as far as to try to get a share of concession sales from exhibitors. I imagine this idea didn't fare too well.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2000 03:02 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DELETED POST

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: