Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » cinema pioneers

Author Topic: cinema pioneers
Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-1999 11:05 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Australia there is a organization called the cinema pioneers association which is for people usually projectionists,ushers,cashiers etc who have worked in the industry for 25 years and over.At the moment there arent many of the true pioneers left as they have passed away.I always enjoyed talking to these people at luncheons etc as the stories they told of how things were back in their time made interesting listening.You know when you think about it the industry is the same as it is now as it was then,I dont think it will ever change.Is the any thing like the pioneers association in the U.S?.

------------------

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-23-1999 05:44 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I can tell, the cinema pioneer's association will die out due to the fact you must have been in continuous employ in the industry for those 25 years. Now, that may have once been the case but with all the casual employees now, perhaps (in the interests of its longevity) it would be wise to lessen the restriction a little.

For example, me...

I started working in the industry when I was 10. I am now 33 but I don't think I would be eligable due to the fact I have moved away from it from time to time. But essentially, I have been involved with it now for the past 23 years. There was some talk of them reducing the enrolment requirement to 20 years but still full time.

Hardly anyone works full time anymore thanks to the bean counters.

------------------
John

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-1999 06:29 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
john,From what I understand, they have relaxed the conditions a little to allow more people to join to keep the assosiation going for the reasons you mentioned.I can find out more details if you like.

------------------

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-23-1999 10:04 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There used to be a group in the US called Motion Picture Pioneers, but I haven't seen any press on it for at least 20 years.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-28-1999 05:41 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Stephen. I'd like to join.

I'm toying with the idea of making a documentary with all the old school projectionists telling their stories. The stories are great and I'd hate to think they would all die with them.

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-1999 07:39 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like an interesting project John,keep me informed if you can I am always interested in hearing about things like this.I have found all of thier stories make good listening.Will follow up your request with the cinema pioneers and will email you direct with any details soon as possiable.

------------------

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-1999 11:04 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Toronto, there is an association called the Motion Picture Pioneers. Basically, a bunch of old farts like myself (theatre managers, owners, technicians, projectionists and Union officials).

Qualifications are to have served in the motion-picture industry for at least twenty-five years, including starting as usher, ect.,(like me).

About two-thirds of them are retired, and the greatest benefit from the meetings are getting to hear the stories these guys and girls have to tell.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: