Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Motors -- Bodine vs. Ballentine

Author Topic: Motors -- Bodine vs. Ballentine
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-22-1999 02:17 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just had yet another motor blow up in one of our projectors. (Third one in 1-1/2 years) This last one is one that was replaced just a year ago! I've checked the whole machine. It runs easily w/ no binding, etc. I don't have a clue as to what's causing them to go so often.
(Century MSC-TA proj.)

So when the replacement motor came in, it was a Ballentine (Leeson) motor instead of the usual Bodine motor. I didn't know how to hook it up because it's a 110/220 volt, reversible and you have 7 wires instead of the usual 3. We called NCS to come out to replace it. Everything's running fine, now. As a matter of fact, I think the Ballentine motor is a lot smoother and quiter.

After all was said and done, I was outside smoking the traditional post-repair cigarette and our NCS guy told me that the Bodine motors have been going bad a lot lately. If that's true then I wonder if it would be better to order the Ballentine next time. (Now that I know how to hook it up )

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-1999 06:39 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bodine motors are all crap! You're lucky it didn't catch fire. I call them Jethro Bodine motors. GE and Dayton (Grainger) motors are better although I haven't seen a real Ballantyne made motor.

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-1999 09:43 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're not alone.

The Bodines have been very troublesome. Our tech in central MA has two locations that have had several motors going into "thermal protect". He put in his first Ballantyne replacement this week, so we're hoping this will put the problem to bed.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-23-1999 12:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Leeson motors (aka Ballantyne) seem to be ok though I have found them to be a bit noisier, actually.

As to the wiring, they now have the termination schedule on a sticker on the junction box cover plate.

We have used both the single phase and three phase versions (they look almost identical).

Bodine is just one of those wierd motor companies that seems to play by it's own rules.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-1999 12:01 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is intresting. I have seen old medical equipment (My dad was in the business) that used Bodine motors that is over 40 years old that saw daily service. Those motors did not fail. One of my carcass Holmes machines has a Bodine motor on it, too, and all I did to make it work was clean it.

Dayton motors used to be identical to Emerson Electric motors, except for the color.

I've replaced hundreds of furnace blower, and burner motors, mostly 1725 RPM, and as big as 1 1/4 horsepower. The Dayton/Emersons were the least trouble. Sometimes, a new GE out of the box would just hum.

The newer GE motors are made in Mexico and are not as reliable as they once were.

Does Leece-Neville still build motors?

How large are the ones on your machines?

Erich Loepke
Film Handler

- posted 12-23-1999 01:17 AM      Profile for Erich Loepke   Email Erich Loepke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Motiograph AAA I have uses a GE 1/4 HP 1725 RPM motor. It runs smooth and looks like it'll last quite a long time. It appears to be the original motor, or if it was replaced, it was a long time ago.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-27-1999 09:20 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, The Bodines are as of lately(the last year and a half or so) very prone to fail. The Leeson motor seems to be very reliable and as such Strong changed over to them about a year ago. We've sold quite a number of machines with Leeson's since then and have yet to have a failure. They seem to run cooler too.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-27-1999 01:13 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess that's good enough for me! Ballantine motors it is! Now that I know how to wire them up.

Yes, all the ones we had went into thermal protect. The Ballentine seems like a good motor. It's roughly the same size as the old one. It's maybe 20% longer. Direct fit replacement. (Maybe different bolt holes, but the adaptor plate comes with it.)

Only (minor) concern is that it's got a centrifugal 'governor'.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-1999 01:27 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure it's a governor and not a starting relay? On my Norelco (2 motor model) there is a little disk with weights on it. The disk is flexable. At rest, the weights are in the "first position" and the disk is "unflexed" this allows the starting contacts/windings to be engaged. When the motor starts up and gets to a certain speed the disk flexes which breaks the contact to the starting windings and the motor runs on it running(?) windings. The only problem is that after a zillion or so flexes the little disk fatigues and breaks. This happened to one of my motors and I just switched the two motors. I don't know what I'll do when the other one breaks as I don't believe they make the little disks for these particular motors anymore

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-05-2000 03:47 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, it's not a 'governor' but more of a 'startup switch/relay'. I just couldn't think of a better name for it than 'governor'. What I was worried about is just what you mentioned. That after 9,000,000 cycles it would wear out or get stuck. For now, I'm pretty happy with it and I plan to make sure mgt. orders the Ballantyne motors from now on. I'll just keep the 'governor / starter' thing in the back of my mind for future reference. (Job security! )

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: