Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » working w/ idiots (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: working w/ idiots
James Dunn
Film Handler

- posted 12-22-1999 01:15 PM      Profile for James Dunn   Email James Dunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you handle working with people in the booth who obviously don't care about how a film is handled? The guy at my theatre who ends up doing the largest part of building and tearing down doesn't really care how well he does the job, as long as it gets done. He's constantly splicing reels together 1 sprocket hole off. Taping heads and tails back on with scotch tape. DRIVING ME FREAKING INSANE!! The simple solution would be to offer more of my time to do the work, but I'm a recently promoted manager working towards another (hopefully). I need to spend as much time working the management end as possible, but knowing how he treats the films really bothers me. Should I bite my tongue and live with it till I move higher up? or try and tackle both ends? How do you guys deal with idiots in the booth?

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-22-1999 01:37 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my thing lately is NOT to try and fix other people's mistakes. If you do that, nobody will know what a screw-up the other person is and they will not know how good you are. I wait until somebody asks me to fix somebody else's goof up.

Second thing that I might suggest is not to let people see you get too bent out of shape about it. That makes YOU the bad guy. I just sort of shrug my shoulders and say, "Oh S***." (I save my steam-blowing-offing until I get home. -- I live in what many people would say is 'the country'. It's still legal to take a rifle out in the back yard and shoot tin cans off an old tree stump. That's my 'therapy')

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-1999 04:04 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this guy is affecting your presentations, why does he have a job? Or at least, why is he in the booth? There is a name for projectionists that don't care about presentations. They're called Ushers...

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-1999 07:37 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Jim on this point,Im sure that there are plenty experienced projectionists who would be glad to take his place.

------------------

James Dunn
Film Handler

- posted 12-23-1999 11:43 AM      Profile for James Dunn   Email James Dunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I for one would love to take the guys spot in the booth. Sometimes I do, but not very often. The guy has been with the theatre for a little over 2 years. He's 27. He's a shift manager. They feel he's a lot more responsible than most of the employee's and I agree with them on that aspect. But my problem with him is his lack of concern with the quality of the presentation. I feel he just looks at it like any other task at any other job. To me, movies are so much more than that. They are memories that I will keep forever. If the presentation sucks, I will remember that every single time that I think about the movie. It may even adversely effect what I think of the movie itself. I remember seeing 'Jackie Brown' and they had to shut it down mid-show for some screw-up. I liked the movie, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I could have because of the presentation. Am I ranting? Sorry, it's just something that I'm passionate about.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-23-1999 11:50 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hear! Hear!

If he's not up to snuff... can him. Ushers are (almost literally) a dime a dozen.

This puts me in mind of a relief projectionist I had who could never thread in-frame. He knew how, he just didn't bother. Every changeover would come up and you'd see him twisting the framing knob. To him, it was no big deal. To everyone else, it was a matter of finesse. As long as this guy kept the lamps trimmed, didn't have a film break and wasn't off the screen, he figured he'd done his job.

He'd come downstairs at the end of the night, with a dusting his-hands-off motion and say, "Well, another perfect show!"

The manager had a very good solution: he told me to fire him.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-23-1999 03:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of frame starts on a platter is pathetic, but since this fellow was running changeovers, that's just completely inexcusable.

The best way to prevent such laziness is to lock the framing controls down or remove them! That'll put an end to that problem before it even starts.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-23-1999 04:15 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After asking a guy to thread in-frame a few times, and he won't, can him. And, by the way; can the guy who trained him also.

We have a few bad "eggs," and the manager is reluctent to fire them because he thinks there won't be enough staff to operate the theater. I keep telling him that they are so bad, they don't help anything anyway; you won't miss them. Take the money they would have earned, and spread it around to the remaining staff.

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-23-1999 11:50 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Threading in frame is one of the first things I had to master before I earned the rights to thread by myself. I also was shown correct loop tolerence and platter operation before I tackled the task solo. I was taught well. I'm glad I started out right. One less bad habit to break. Seems like some mutliplexes STILL cant get it right, and the picture goes UP and DOWN before finding that happy medium we Film-Tech'rs call IN FRAME.

Sorry. Steam blowing off. It ticks me off If off one spocket hole, others don't care and cranks away at the framing. Uh, stop me if I'm wrong, put doesn't this shorten the life of some of the projector parts on certain models? (Pro 35 comes to mind)

--Chris

Erich Loepke
Film Handler

- posted 12-24-1999 01:07 AM      Profile for Erich Loepke   Email Erich Loepke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if that's one of the reasons AMC considered using 16mm. It's impossible by design to thread 16mm out of frame.

I'm not a professional projectionist, but it seems to me staring at the 35mm projector here on the floor at my feet that it can't be too difficult to thread "in frame". Sure, it may take a little practice, but there's no excuse for doing things wrong after a year in the booth. Either the poor person received inadequate training or they just plain don't care. It should be fairly easy to tell which of those is at work in each individual situation. Unfortunately, it isn't as easy as saying "You're fired!" with all the laws governing employment. Maybe these people should just be ushers instead.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-24-1999 10:15 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for threading out of frame--yes, it's absolutely inexcusable. Even "idiots" can be taught to get the framing right with about five minutes' worth of training. It's amazing how such a simple thing can make a presentation look so lousy. Plus, with Century projectors, if the framing is exactly two perfs off, the film must be stopped and re-threaded anyway. I liked to set up both projectors' framing controls in perfect frame using a loop of RP-40 (a loop of SMPTE "clock-sweep" countdown leader will work, too) and never touch them afterwards.

Having worked with a number of "idiots" (who weren't so much "idiots" as they were careless or improperly trained or both), my usual routine was to work on Thursday nights (to ensure that films would be properly inspected and mounted on 6000' reels, and to insure that outgoing films were properly shipped out) and to do everything possible to make _my_ presentations sparkle. There wasn't much that I could do about the presentations on other nights, although I did leave notes on the rewind bench whenever I figured out that someone was doing something obviously wrong (like setting the exciter supplies to "AC/Emerg"!) or something that had the potential to damage the equipment. These notes were usually ignored...

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-27-1999 01:05 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still advise you to take it easy. If you make a huge stink over how bad another guy is, YOU will be the bad guy. Take it fro me. I had a guy that was supposed to have worked in the booth for three years. He wasn't that bad but his work ethic was pretty 'slack'. He'd break things, bad splices, thread projectors 30 sec. before showtime... The whole 9 yds.

One time, he built one reel ,tails-up, into the middle of a movie. Nobody screened it and its first showing was a SNEAK. I made a big deal over it. (MAINLY becasue I had to fix it) People started acting like it was MY fault. The madder I got, the madder they got.

All I can say is to play it cool! (Documenting everything you do helps, too.)

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-1999 03:25 PM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally when I see a projectionist start a film out-of-frame I assume that they either don't have the proper training or the proper attitude to be a real (or should I say REEL) professional. Usually if he or she doesn't care enough to thread in frame you will also find other things lacking in their presentation or technique.

Several years ago my wife and I visited a drive-in theatre (that's now closed) where the projectionist's "I don't care" attitude was quite evident.

The first sign of trouble was hearing one of the staff complaining before the first feature that the projectionist was not there and that it was almost show time. A little while later, while we sat in our car waiting for the movie to start, we saw a pick-up truck rushing through the entrance and across the ramps toward the concession stand/projection building (it was early in the season and raining so there weren't many cars there that night).

The "projectionist" jumped out of his truck and ran into the booth, and moments later the screen lit up with the film out-of-frame. After we were treated to seeing the frame line bounce up and down on the mammoth screen a few times, the guy got the picture in frame and the movie went on without any further hitches. Until the closing credits that is, when the screen went dark and the sound cut off just as the credits begin to scroll up the screen.

The screen was dark during intermission and when the second feature started it was ALSO out-of-frame. Then to make matters worse, during the closing credits for this film we not only saw the screen go dark and heard the sound abruptly cut-off, moments later we saw the projectionist's truck drive past us as he rushed to beat the patrons out of the theatre.

Every time I think of that theatre the first thing that comes to mind is the poor presentation that we experienced. That's sad because with a little effort the guy could have put on a good show.

A friend who owns theatres recently reminded me that some people don't experience a lot of different theatres and therefore can't differentiate the good from the bad. If they are used to only bad presentation in the theatre/s they attend, they simply assume that ALL theatres don't do a good job in that regard. It makes one wonder how many people that stay home and watch video-tapes would start coming back to the theatres if presentation was improved and they could see the benefits of film over video-tape or DVD.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-1999 05:42 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must work (with?) the most prized idiot chief projectionist in the world!!.

The venue where I work is based on the Millennium Experience, which will be only open for one year,we have built a two screen 70mm cinemas, this prized "PRATT" of a chief projectionist has no experience in this field,and belive me this is real,this person has never set up a cinema and even lace up a 70mm projector, some wondered if he has ever worked in a cinema, unless you call a Booth manager at a UCI cinema a projectionist.

To date he has only insulted both myself and other projectionists in comments like "Do you have confidence in your projection", "Have you done this before- Do we need to do this", the same comments have been directed at various contractors while under construction from someone who has no real knowledge in this field!.

This same person tried to get us to lace up a 70mm print around a 35mm optical sound drum, to test the sound!, lace up on black leader and can not understand why it is not in rack.
ordered two botles of 'Blooping Ink' at a venue which will only run 70mm DTS prints (photos of this to follow), 10,000 cotton buds! and loads of 35mm leaders and parts.

The most prized comment is that "we should not run other peoples films on these projectors as they may damage them!" do we have special sprockets made just for this film?, can I then order other sprockets to run other peoples films?.

I did make a complaint, but to no avail, his manager is the AV Department who has no cinema experince, so no hope there!.

Is it me, are these idots who call them self's projectionts are making a mockery of our industry.

I will soon leave this job for a real projectionist job!.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-27-1999 05:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to what happens when VIDEO people think they can run films! There is at least one theater (no names to protect the guilty and stupid) I know of where a video team comes in and talks about "wow, that's big tape" and has the attitude you can just stick the film in the projector any old way and it'll automatically run with that overused word "presentation". "We have an excellent presentation, blah, blah, blah."

So that's why the movie's on the ceiling, the audio sounds like it's underwater and your only answer is to "clean the heads"!!! Gee, if only I had known that years ago.

(Ben...ask your guy to show you how he wants you to clean the heads on the projectors and let us know what he says. )

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: