Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Man on the Moon

Author Topic: Man on the Moon
Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-1999 05:41 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who have seen it, has anyone got the urge to put light cues after he closes his record player after the first scene.. Bring them up when the screen goes black, and then back down when he pops back up...

I think it would fit the movie...

For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, watch it and you will... It is an excellent film.

|  IP: Logged

Wallace Logan
Film Handler

- posted 12-21-1999 06:48 AM      Profile for Wallace Logan   Email Wallace Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I ran it for the press 2 weeks ago and
laugh I brought it to the attention of the
manager but he did not like the idea.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-1999 03:29 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that would be a great laugh. I'm thinking about doing it. It would fit right in.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-1999 04:07 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how many people would get up and leave...

I am surprised the director didn't request it...

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-1999 01:51 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As to the sceen you ar talking about, I think they copped out.

I think they should have run the entire credits, right then, right there. Every body leaves during the credits. In the old films they ran the credits at the front of the film. It would have been great if they ran the entire credits then and then ended the film with the classic

THE END

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-25-1999 05:22 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought you'ld like to know, we tried the lights up thing. Actually, we turned up the lights and switched over to Non-synch. Three people almost made it out the door before Carry came back on screen. They all seemed very confused for some reason, hmm. Now I have got my manager's permission to bring the lights up to half at the beginning of the credits, insert a show close when Carry closes the record player, another show close (to restart everything) when he pokes his head in the side of the screen and a lights down at the line "Our story begins..." all with cues. Ought to be a riot. I just know I could clear the theatre if he would let me splice in twenty seconds of black mylar in the gap (sigh).

-Mike

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-26-1999 08:11 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do the lights thing at my theatre and the audience LOVES it! I simply bring them up to half when the record player slams shut (and not until). Sound stays in digital, douser and curtains stay open. Carrey pops back and and people cheer. Lights fade back down after Carrey says "I did that just to get rid of the people who wouldn't understand me...." Perfection. The audience gets the joke. Not one person that I have seen has even thought about getting up. Certainly no complaints.

We definitely get much more of a positive reaction from the crowd by doing this rather than not. Without the lights, it's resorted to a few random chuckles when the player slams shut and then complete silence from then on out. No cheers when Carrey reappears.

Kenn Fong
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-1999 01:42 AM      Profile for Kenn Fong   Author's Homepage   Email Kenn Fong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That wouldn't work at my theatre. As I'm an usher I talk to a fair number of the customers and you'd be surprised at how many of them, particularly seniors, buy tickets for the movie not knowing who Andy Kaufman was, simply because it's Jim Carrey.

I don't want to insult the people who feed me, but I don't think they get it, as some of them say they "kind of liked it."

------------------
Kenn Fong
http://www.qwertyuiop.net
Screenwriter's Home Page

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: