Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kudos to Woody (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kudos to Woody
George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-1999 12:56 AM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I opened up the cans for "Sweet and Lowdown" and found the nicest and most diplomatically written instructional note that I've ever received with a print. I am used to getting notes in the cans that have the picture and sound format info WRONG and/or have a huge list of technical demands. Woody had a couple of helpful suggestions and he personally signed my letter (it was not a Xeroxed signature). I will retype the letter: (BEGIN QUOTE)

To the projectionist:

We're sending you this note to set your mind at ease when you first screen "Sweet and Lowdown."

Don't be concerned when you discover that all the sound has been assigned to the center channel, with no information in the left or right speaker or the surrounds. Our reasons for releasing in Dolby SR relate to frequency response and dynamic range. In fact, we recommend that you turn off the surround amplifier completely to avoid the possibility of noise or unwanted signals coming through those speakers. We've found this works for us.

As always, thank you very much for your help.

Woody Allen
(END QUOTE)
You have to love a director who asks you to turn off the surrounds!!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-21-1999 03:00 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't agree with his mono fetish, but at least he is quality conscious by using SR!

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-1999 07:57 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember screening 'Husbands and Wives' and receiving a similar letter (I kept it!) - it contained a paragraph regarding the sound format like this letter, but included a note about the handheld camera work, the jump cutting and the focus racking as being normal for the movie. In 1992, these 'cinema verite' techniques had not been seen for quite a while.

I'm thrilled to see that a new Woody Allen movie is coming out! He's one of the truly great filmmakers working today, I think. Not only is he highly prolific, but each film is a completely satisfying experience that actually improves with multiple viewings.

All his movies are great to see but I think that the pinacle of his career was reached with 'Crimes and Misdemeanors'. However, I feel like mentioning 'Zelig', 'Manhattan', 'Stardust Memories', 'Interiors', etc...

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-21-1999 09:48 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda makes you wish Dolby kept that "Surround/No Surround" button.

Does a CP500 have a format "03" setting?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-21-1999 02:21 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of his films have been Mono
Manhattan was mag with only the centre channel recorded on

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-1999 02:32 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You couldn't pay me enough to show (or watch) a Woody Allen movie. I can't stand him.

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-21-1999 02:42 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whew! Thank you, Ken. I thought I was the only one on this forum who didn't like him.

But I do like getting memos with instructions on the best way to present the film (and I'm NOT talking about those TAP print memos, they all say the EXACT SAME THING). Like the note with Pleasantville that told us to play the feature at reference level 7.0.

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-21-1999 04:22 PM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, while the CP-500 does not have an 03 format per say, you can make up any format that you want to with it and store it in one of the user formats.

When "Deconstructing Harry" came out, I made up a user format, as this film came with basicly the same note, of Dolby Stereo/SR/No surrounds. Save the format, then go to custom screen, and assing the user format to one of the SK buttons.

------------------

Scott

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-1999 04:29 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do hate those pesky TAP memos. Those usually go straight into the trash when I get them. I wish more directors and industry people showed projectionists the kind of respect that Woody does.

Michael: I feel like mentioning Bullets Over Broadway, Play it Again Sam, and my all time favorite: Love and Death. But you're right, they're all good.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-22-1999 05:40 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No no no! The note included with Pleasantville asked you to play it louder than 7.0. I still have that note around somewhere in the booth. It said because since the sound was so damn quiet, you shouldn't be afraid to turn it up well beyond what you are used to running films at (more or less).

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-22-1999 08:33 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby format 03 is "stereo/no surround" with Dolby A NR. Is there a format number for Dolby SR/no surround? What about SR/mono (equivalent to format 02, but with SR noise reduction)?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-22-1999 10:03 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Dolby format 03 is "stereo/no surround" with Dolby A NR."

Opps! You are right. I used a CP200 for many years. I was a big fan of that processor, but now I only have CP65. So, I forgot about the "A" part of format 03- which I never remember using anyway.

....I think I have Alzheimer's, but I can't remember...

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-22-1999 04:41 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of his recent films have been Dolby 'Mono'...

Except for "Everyone Says I Love You" which actually had surrounds for the songs, I think...

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-1999 08:05 PM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no offical format number for Dolby Stereo SR/No Surrounds. Unless you have a CP-200 or CP-500, there is no way short of just turning off the surround amplifiers to get that format.

I must however correct myself when I said that the CP-500 does not have format 03. The standard format selector configuration does not have 03 assigned to a soft key, but format 03 IS programmed into the unit.

Programed formats in the CP-500 are: 01, 03, 04, 05, 10, 11, 20, 22, 26, 27, 28, 42, 43, 60, 61, 64, 65, & 66. There are also a number of user definable formats.

------------------

Scott

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-22-1999 10:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
So what is everyone with a CP200 programming this in as? Format 06? (and no, format 18 is cheating.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: