Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Most common digital format(s) question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Most common digital format(s) question
Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-1999 01:42 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This question is asked of projectionists who are running first-run prints on an almost daily basis.

What percentage of the prints you receive have:

(a) D.T.S., S.R.D., AND S.D.D.S. tracks all on one print?

(b) D.T.S. and S.R.D. on one print?

(c) D.T.S. and S.D.D.S on one print?

(d) S.R.D. and S.D.D.S. on one print?

(e) Optical SVA or SR only?

(I am assuming that mono is very rare, nowadays.)

I appreciate the information. Thank you

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-20-1999 04:02 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most everything I get has SRD. It is very rare if there there isn't any Dolby Digital on there. But most prints are quad format (all 3 digital formats plus SR optical). DTS seems to be on a lot of prints as well, more than SDDS.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-1999 09:39 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Men In Black had the first reel with all formats, but every reel afterwards had the Dolby Digital track blacked out!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-20-1999 05:09 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best movie ever made in the history of mankind, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, had reels 2 and 3 in Dolby Digital and SDDS and the rest in SDDS and SR. We just played the entire thing in SR.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-1999 05:13 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost everything we get has the quad format that Joe spoke of. Last September or October we did get a film with a missing SRD track. It sucked so much, I don't even remember its name.

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-1999 07:20 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the prints of late that I come across have all formats somtimes you get one that has only one format or another but thats getting rare these days.As for S.D.D.S there only a very small amount of cinemas here in Australia that use it (THANKFULLY)as the rest use Dolby Digital or D.T.S or both.

------------------

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-20-1999 08:16 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the films we get are the "the quad format" type; a term I still can't get used to. I keep thing of 4 channel.

On "Air Force One," only the first 2 reels were in SR-D. I would have been nice if there was a note in the can saying that.

Wallace Logan
Film Handler

- posted 12-20-1999 10:03 PM      Profile for Wallace Logan   Email Wallace Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I now know why everybody does not have a kind word for SDDS because more often than not
when making prints they miss a few reels
thats frustrating.
Most are all formats I have 3 prints that are
only SRD right now.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-1999 11:48 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know off hand what a print from around 1992 with THX in the credits uses for its digital system?

Now, I am going to find a FG thread and talk there.

If you need more info, I can run the last reel again and see if there is anything else on the credits.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-1999 11:54 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think most of our movies are "quad-track", but some more low-budget fare may dispense with a couple (or in a few cases, all) the digital formats. I noticed MGM seems to be releasing their lower-budget movies with SR and DTS only ("Stigmata", "Flawless").

BTW, what's the difference between SVA and SR? Are there any stereo optical tracks made today which do *not* use some Dolby (or Dolby-clone) process?

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-21-1999 02:18 AM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, if I may call you that, I think that Rick may have been reffering to Dolby "A" type noise reduction as some of the older DTS movies had a DTS digital track with a Dolby "A" optical track.

SVA or Stereo Variable Area is the type of sound track that you see on all of the movies that are put out today. Before that there was the Variable Density soundtrack that was mono. Instead of having an area of the soundtrack that is clear, a variable density track was shades of grey over the entire soundtrack area. I'm sure that someone else can do a better job of describing this than I am doing in the sleep state that I am in at the moment.

Most, 99.99% I would think, stereo films that are produced today use some kind of noise reduction. I'm sure if you looked REALLY HARD, you MIGHT find a film out there with a stereo track that has no noise reduction of any kind on it. I saw one once about 4 years ago. Even Woody Allen is using SR, just with no surround. Formats 02, and 03 are the only Dolby formats that use noise reduction, but no surround decoding.

------------------

Scott

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-1999 01:47 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, Chris is fine.

Thanks for the information, it clears some issues up. I've just been confused as of late, since I've been working with ancient Kintek processors (I'm used to the CP500...). The Kintek model KT-1005, for example, has sound format options of mono, SVA, and Spec Rec. I know what mono is, and I'm assuming that Spec Rec means that the Kintek can process Dolby SR, but I don't quite know where to place SVA in the scheme of things. Is this feature simply equivalent to Dolby format 02 or 03? Or Dolby A? The Kintek manuals assume that I know what all of these abbreviations mean.

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-1999 03:26 AM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, not being familiar with that Kintek processor of yours, I looked in the manual downloads section, (very handy, thanks for the work Brad!) and since your model was not in there I looked at the 800 Series manual, in that one they are using SVA to refer to Dolby "A" noise reduction/with surrounds (Format 04). Spec. Rec. Was refering to Spectral Recording (Format 05).

Kintek and some others used to refer to format 04 as SVA, as opposed to mono (01). This is a holdover from before the time of Dolby SR. They could not call it Dolby Stereo because it is not Dolby equipment. I think it was easier to use the "SVA" in the manuals, than to say: "Stereo / A-type noise reduction". On the Strong CPA-10 they had a sound format that was labled SVA. I hope that kind of clears things up.

------------------

Scott

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-22-1999 08:39 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If we wanted to be pedantic about such things, SVA would refer to any stereo-variable-area track (which could have no NR [rare], A-type NR, or SR-type NR). Dolby A and Dolby SR are just noise reduction processes in and of themselves; they are used for some audio-only recording-studio work. "Dolby Stereo SR" is, of course, SVA with SR noise reduction. "Dolby Stereo" usually refers to any type of SVA track with Dolby NR (either A or SR). There's no clear way that I can think of to identify what would be a Dolby Stereo print with type A NR (I've never heard the term "Dolby Stereo A").

Bill Purdy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-1999 10:55 AM      Profile for Bill Purdy   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Purdy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in 1978-79 there was quite a battle going on between Dolby and mostly Eprad. Eprad has since changed hands and so my comments apply only to the old regime. Eprad maintained that if the film was recorded in "Dolby Stereo" it made no difference whose equipment was used to play it back, and therefore, a theatre could advertise it as being "Dolby Stereo". During that period I was doing a lot of road work for Dolby, but because I was a free-lancer Eprad kept calling me to get me to say that there was no difference, which I, of course would not do. It even got the the point that I was recording those phone calls in order to protect my backside. At any rate, the whole thing went to court and Dolby won and it stands today that you cannot advertise a film as being in "Dolby XXXXX" unless you are reproducing it through genuine Dolby equipment. (This is one of the reasons for some folks buying the CP-45s.)

So, "Stereo Variable Area" (SVA) emerged as the generic term. This became more important when Ultra Stereo developed their own encoder and some low-budget SVA tracks were produced without any involvement from Dolby. As you know, this effort never went very far.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: