Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Custormer Service

Author Topic: Custormer Service
Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-1999 08:30 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No doubt you have all heard this before but its something that I take seriously.The big chains have really lost the plot with this and they becoming more like K.F.C and Mcdonalds everyday worse in some cases.I like to go to the movies to enjoy the experience a film as it should be on the big screen and great sound in focus and not a mark on it.But alas the experience is no more, after they take your money of you at the box office then you tackle the candy bar you cant even make simple purchase with out the young person trying to sell you somthing that you dont want I usualy reply if I wanted it I would have bought it, then you hand your ticket to the dummy at the ticket tearing point who is only interested in how long is it till I can go home and then you must find your own way to the cinema because if you ask for directions you get this look as if you are an idiot.Then after the lights go down your faced with scratched and dirty ads/trls and the feature is in the same condition,picture not focused and sound is bad and the cinema smells of stale popcorn carpets so dirty that you stick to them and its so bad that you cant tell what colour it is the same goes for the seats which you usualy sit on bubble gum. Once they get your money thats it,try to find a manager to complain to and you be lucky to find one once they get into that office there they stay.Know wonder the smaller chains and independents do well because they offer good customer service and the cinemas are always very clean and the presentation is first class I try to watch movies at these cinemas or watch at home on D.V.D, large screen T.V and digital surround sound.The response to the independents and smaller chains by the big guys is to buy them out or make life hard for them.

------------------

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-18-1999 11:25 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what to say to that; I'm out of breath just reading it. You're exactly right, especially about theaters becomming like McDonalds. I think mega-plexes try to use 'economy of scale' ie: make em' bigger, and the per customer cost will drop.

All I can think of is to politely complain as often as you can to the 'powers that be.'

Always a bit sad when an employee cares more about the theater than the owners.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-19-1999 07:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that customer service has declined, but don't get smart with the kid behind the concession counter. It's his/her job to upsell, and they are just doing their jobs. If they don't they will be out of a job. Maybe they will spit in your popcorn as well. Gotta be careful about stuff like that nowadays.

Even the managers of the theatres are fairly powerless. I would get the phone number and address of the division office and call or write as often as possible. It's company policies that need to change.

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-1999 12:10 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Point taken Joe, just letting of steam as we all do from time to time.

------------------

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-1999 12:40 AM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think some of the theatre chains are much worse than McDonald's. When you go to McDonald's, you usually get what you pay for and it's somewhat consistent. An entire meal at McDonald's is cheaper than the after dinner snack you purchase at the movies.

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-21-1999 09:13 AM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second Joe's comments. The kids have to upsell and sugestive sell...just as the managers have to make sure the kids are doing it. From what I have seen, they are constantly reminded they can be replaced with the guy running the Jiffy Lube at any moment.

All comments and suggestions should be directed to upper management and I'm not talking about Area Directors...I'm talking V.P. of operations.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-1999 10:06 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just read an article in Box Office on how to get your customers to buy more concession stuff and how to get it into their hands and get them back to there seats. Guess that article is being read by a lot of people besides myself.
I have heard that upwards of 90% of the gate (depending on the film) goes back to the studio and that the theater must make their dough on concession sales to stay open. I have no experience at this type of thing, does anyone know?

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-1999 10:16 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is pretty true, I think, with any theatre. The chain makes the money on the Concession stand, bulk candy, restaurant, etc. Most of the box, goes back to Hollywood.

Kenn Fong
Film Handler

- posted 12-21-1999 10:31 PM      Profile for Kenn Fong   Author's Homepage   Email Kenn Fong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's true. When a new movie opens, the studio gets 90% of the BEST week. Note, I did not say first week, although overwhelmingly it's the first week. The second best week, the studio gets 80%, and so on, until it comes to a 50/50 split.

My writing partner and theatre manager, Roger Leatherwood, expounded on this subject in his essay, "We don't make 'em, Lady, we just show 'em," which is linked on the home page of my website.

------------------
Kenn Fong
http://qwertyuiop.net
Screenwriter's Home Page

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-22-1999 01:59 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess we just have to get used to life in the Googolplex...

About people being pretty powerless... That can be pretty much true but I really believe you don't have to let that happen. Remember, your regional and corporate people usually only know about you from the computer print-outs they see. If what you do improves your 'numbers' then the bosses will like it. Just be damn-straight sure that you're 'right' before you go doing something.

Basically, you're only as powerless as you let yourself be!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: