Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New reel 5 for Toy Story (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: New reel 5 for Toy Story
Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-18-1999 02:14 AM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody else get this memo? I just learned that Disney is sending us new reel 5's for all our prints of Toy Story 2, but they didn't mention why. Are there going to be outtakes in the credits like in "A Bug's Life" or something? Typical that they would do this on Christmas week - like we have nothing better to do with our time.

And while we're on the subject of Christmas - I just LOVE that movies are opening on x-mas day - a Saturday! Why don't tbey just open them on Friday - they'd make more money!

|  IP: Logged

Masao Garcia
Film Handler

- posted 12-18-1999 04:04 AM      Profile for Masao Garcia   Email Masao Garcia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I received a memo like that too. I think it also said something about how the DTS discs were already ready to play this new reel, so I'm wondering if it was already planned? Strange stuff.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-18-1999 04:14 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, as I understand it there will be outtakes in the new R5 of TS2. I wonder if anything else will change. Will this extend the overall running time by a few minutes, or will they run the end credits alongside it??? Guess we'll all know next week.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-18-1999 11:15 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much do we get to 'back-charge Disney for the reel change?

Oh, I know: It's for the love of the craft....

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-1999 12:16 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks to me like Disney is going to advertise it this week as a way to attract more people to the film with the rash of new titles coming out.

I saw a report that they had already released these in Australia, but they were pulled. Someone did post a list, though.

If the sound is on the DTS disc, it was definitely a planned move.

Mark L.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-18-1999 04:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It'll be interesting to see if TES keeps track of which theaters they sent "dye transfer" (used to be called "IB Tech") prints to and sends the appropriate R5. Apparently there was 200 made. Imagine how pathetic that would be to watch 75 minutes of a dye transfer print to cut into the last reel on a regular one!

I'm still angry I did NOT get one!!!!! Anyone know what must be done to get these prints when they're made?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-18-1999 05:42 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather not think about that one

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-18-1999 06:15 PM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question. Are the theatres that are running TS2 in "digital" going to get a new download for the end of the movie?

------------------

Scott

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-1999 09:15 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did Disney give any indication when the switch to the new reel is to be made?

Mark L.

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-19-1999 01:39 AM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney was real vague about when the new reels would arrive ... just "sometime next week". I'm sure they'll arrive at the VERY last minute. They're supposed to be on by the weekend.

Gordon Leslie
Film Handler

- posted 12-19-1999 02:25 AM      Profile for Gordon Leslie   Email Gordon Leslie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We received our print of TS2 on Tues 30th Nov to screen from Thurs 2nd Dec. Friday we get a memo from the distributors to say the blooper reel 5 is to be replaced,please arange pickup of the new reel asap,as the blooper reel will be re-released in a couple of weeks...The silly thing is the big Disney ad in the paper on the weekend said "DONT MISS THE BLOOPERS",of cause people are coming out complaining after the movie asking whats happened to it....One big blooper for Disney!!!!!....

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-1999 09:38 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DLP projector is supposed to get the blooper reel sometime. I heard about this a couple of weeks ago.

Also note, that we did not switch to Bicentennial Man as we were supposed to. And good thing. They stated that TS2 was still doing well enough to keep is going on DLP.

Just wish they would come in and do the trailer change for Bicentennial Man.

Our memo from corp said they (TS2 - R5) would be coming in about the 21-22 and HAD to be on by the 25. Disney was going to advertise.

Too bad that the local newspaper didn't look to see when the ad copy was supposed to start.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-1999 01:06 AM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to have an engineer come in to do a trailer change with DLP projectors? Hopefully this won't be necessary by the time the system officially takes over.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-22-1999 01:46 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dye transfer (IB Tech.) prints are the ones with the sound tracks all in black (Even the SDDS), right?? All three of ours are like that. Problem is that the registration is off. The magenta matrix can be seen bleeding into the letters in the credits.

As for the new reels... Haven't seen them yet. And I have to FG them again, too!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-22-1999 04:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy I am very jealous of you now! You got THREE dye transfer prints!!! What must be done to get these??? I've only had Bulworth and 13th Warrior and I had to beg and plead to get them and they were FANTASTIC!

Yes, they can be easily identified by the "black and white" edges. The only part of the film that will have color to it is the actual picture, as they are (in the simplest form) black and white prints with color layed on top.

I'll bet they blow the pants off of the DLP presentations!

I do feel for those running the dye transfer prints without FilmGuard, as black and white film stocks shed like Alaska during a blizzard. I'm assuming you have FilmGuarded all 3 of yours. No shedding, right?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: