Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Another No to Digital

Author Topic: Another No to Digital
Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-1999 01:57 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
www.suntimes.com/output/eb-feature/maxi12.html

The last paragraph is priceless. . and says a lot about people's infatuation with all things digital.

Anybody see Maxi 48 yet?

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-1999 07:04 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like theres hope for film yet.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-23-1999 01:26 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's ISCO-vision at 48 per! There was a fellow in Houston that had a 3-perf system, too, about 10 years ago. They've never seem to take-off. Good luck to them.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-1999 02:38 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no doubt in my mind that film will be here for a long time to come. The article was great. Thank you for making it available here.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-1999 11:44 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope film will be around for a long long time myself. There was an article in Kodak's "Film Notes for Reel People" which pointed out something disturbing about E-cinema, if I remember correctly. It seems the E-cinema people are not concerned about the many holes in the picture that appear over time as the pixels wear out. They've marketed it as a wonderful thing that will fix presentation problems and give people a superior show. Yet, before the system has even taken off, there is already a problem with it and the E-cinema folk have already adopted the "screw it...that's good enough" attitude that has ruined film.

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-1999 12:05 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some how I am starting to think that with these problems that are starting to surface with digital projection/cinema(which I had an idea that this would happen)it may be some time before it takes over from film.May be while they are trying to sort out their problems,developments in film technology with projection equipment and film stocks may make film be around for a very long time.But even with current tecnology with both types of formats it all boils down to one thing,if the people who operate it are not trained or dont care the results on the screen are still going to be bad no matter what.Long live film.

------------------

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-26-1999 11:49 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, it all comes down to the operator and how much he cares (or doesn't care) about putting on a top-notch presentation. Whether running a fully manual booth with 20-minute reels or an e-cinema booth in which running a show involves pressing the "START" button, a caring operator will always make sure that the show runs as flawlessly as possible and a bad operator will always find a way to screw something up...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: