Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Platters to the left of me, platters to the right.... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Platters to the left of me, platters to the right....
Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-1999 05:23 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have encountered much (often heated) debate as to on which side of the console should the platter system be located; left, or right (as you stand behind the console, looking at the screen).

Those favouring the left side appreciate the lack of clutter around the projection working area, no likeleyhood of walking into the film in low-light areas while focussing, ect.

The "right-siders" claim faster threading, and the ability to keep an eye on the film travel when starting a performance.

When using Cinemeccanica bases, if booth depth permits, the platter tower can be placed directly behind the projector, allowing for a film feed with no "twists".

Which is your favourite?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-13-1999 05:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I do it the "right way". (Ok, so that was bad.) Having the platters on the operator side greatly speeds up threading and provides easier operator attention to film travel. Also, on installations where the engineer runs the cabling (say from a mag penthouse or digital reader) straight to the wall from the projector, it allows "speed winding" should a show need to be forwarded, whereas non-operator positioned platters can only have this feature IF all cabling is pulled to the ceiling or ran down the side of the console (which very few engineers do).

If the operator is stupid enough to walk into the film, that's their problem...they shouldn't be up there.

Christopher A Kerr
Film Handler

- posted 12-13-1999 05:42 PM      Profile for Christopher A Kerr   Email Christopher A Kerr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 5-tier placed right in between my two Century C's. I find it much more user-friendly when the platter is feeding from the right (operating) side of the projector. The only thing you must be careful of is not trip when stepping through the film to check sound, focus ect., but you will only make that mistake once.

Cheers
Chris
Please Don't Feed The Projectionist

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-13-1999 06:54 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't strange that a subject like this _does_ cause a heated debate!?

I used to like platters on the right, because it's easier to thread. If something goes wrong with the platter at start, you're right (oops!) there to save it before the failsafes kick in.

However, when we started bi-amping our theaters we needed a large 19" rack to hold everything. A good place for it is to the right of the projector (so the operator stands in between) to set the sound format listen to the monitor. This means the platter usually must go to the left.

That's now our 'standard.'

Nicholas McRobert
Film Handler

- posted 12-13-1999 07:18 PM      Profile for Nicholas McRobert   Email Nicholas McRobert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here. Sound rack on the operating side makes it impossible to have the platter setup anywhere else. I think it's completely down to personal preference, however I do agree that it's safer NOT to be stepping over film paths.
Experienced-best-operator-in-the-world or otherwise.... the risk is always there of standing on something you shouldn't have...

If your platter system is reliable enough on startup (such as the Kinoton) then there should be no need to do anything other than take a peek round to see that all is well once things are underway. Having worked with CFS "Superplatters" previously, though, I can say that I do agree that these need to be on the operator side where possible, as I was forever having to stop them from spinning wildly out of control when starting a show...

Nicholas

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-1999 08:43 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The RIGHT side (operating) is for me. It only takes a second to walk over to the sound rack to check format/volume/monitor. I'd much rather have the film where I can catch any problems right away and prevent shutdowns.

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-13-1999 09:23 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right is where my platter is. I tend to agree with the threading issue. It seems eaiser, especially if you thread platter to platter. (see threading question thread )

--Chris

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-14-1999 12:05 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You want a heated debate? I put 'em on the LEFT side and there's nothin' none of ya can do about it! So there! Why? Well, why not? I mean, isn't it obvious? Geesh!

Please Feed the Projectionist - He is Very Hungry

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-1999 12:44 AM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In many theatres, platters are all over the place and there seems to be no rhyme or reason behind their placement. In some booths platters are just stuck wherever they will fit. I prefer platters on the right side and with plenty of space to walk around the platter.

Brad: You should be able to speed wind regardless of where the platter is. Are you lacing the film through the upper and lower rollers at the projector when you speed wind? When I used to speed wind on a regular basis (with Xetron platters) I went from the roller at the top of the post straight down to the take up. The film never rubbed anywhere it shouldn't and it worked very well. I could run through an entire feature in 20 minutes.

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-14-1999 03:38 AM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as speed of threading goes, it makes no difference to me, It doesn't take me any longer to thread a film from the operator's side or the non operator side.

That being said, I perfer the platter be on the non operator side, especially with the number of kids in the booth these days. I've seen them stand there with a film rubbing against their leg and they were not even aware of it. The second reason is that I belive that the sound rack should be right next to the projectionist so that, if needed, a format can be punched in right away and the focus and the volume checked at the same time. Not only that, from the operators side you can just look over or around the projector to see if all is well at show start with the platter.(It should be if you do your job right) If you have to run a show manualy, all of the buttons and indicators are where you can get at them right away. I really hate having to start a show and then run around to the other side of the projector to punch up the sound format.

Of course if you happen to have the sound rack mounted on the back of the console, then it's kind of a toss up. I still perfer to have it on the non operator side because I'm tall and don't need to have a bunch of film running through my hair.(Isn't there enough static on the film already? )

------------------

Scott

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-14-1999 06:38 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
George,

I quote myself...
"On installations where the engineer runs the cabling (say from a mag penthouse or digital reader) straight to the wall from the projector"...etc, etc, etc.

Obviously if this cabling is not there and rollers are set up in an ideal manner (as in not behind a strip of conduit or tilted at a 45 degree angle) then speed winding can be achieved with the platters on the non-operator side.

As to sound racks on the operator side equaling platters on the non-operator side, this is ridiculous. Simply place the sound rack on the operator side facing the console, but with the right edge of it flush with the back edge of the console leaving plenty of room for the film to travel between the sound rack and the wall. Roughly 2-3 feet will be left for the operator to thread past the rack when done in this manner. This allows the platter to go on the operator side as well.

...now if it is a sound system requiring 2 racks, then something else must be done. Still, I like the platters on the operator side...but NOT if it means the only possible place to put the sound rack is on the non-operator side. That is just annoying.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-14-1999 12:41 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I say the non operating side for the platter and the audio rack on the operating side facing the machine
I have found that long cables on test equipment cause problems during alignment and the rack on the other side is grief especially if you have a laptop connected to it serrial cables shouldn't exceed 6 feet. Also the new digital scope maximum probe length is 3'

On one job the thx guys insisted the rack be moved to the operating side for those very reason

And cabling isn't a problem since I run all flex down the front to the floor and back up to the trough anyway

Andy Davis
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-1999 01:02 PM      Profile for Andy Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my theatre, one of the projectors is set up with the sound rack and platters both on the operator side, as Brad mentioned. Unfortunately, whoever installed the equipment decided to run the conduit from the sound rack along the ground to the wall. Now the operators step on the conduit every time they thread and the wear and tear is finally showing. I'm debating whether to replaced the conduit and run the wires through the ceiling , or to build a wooden housing over the conduit.

Nicholas McRobert
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-1999 07:08 PM      Profile for Nicholas McRobert   Email Nicholas McRobert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am gonna have to agree with Gordon.... Having worked with both setups before (including consoles), the non-operating side is for me (and there have never been any kids running around in my projection room...EVER!). It's standard in my company anyway, unless there is a space restriction involved.

Wallace Logan
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-1999 08:02 PM      Profile for Wallace Logan   Email Wallace Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Mr Long I have 6 on the left of
me with one on the right, I tend to like the
one on the right and I have come like the left because the center post is behind the
projector so the line is straight to the projector and back to the platter.
If your wondering about the exaust pipe it has a nice bend in it so the film will pass.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: