Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projectionist wanna be (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Projectionist wanna be
Gilly Rudolf
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-1999 01:00 PM      Profile for Gilly Rudolf   Email Gilly Rudolf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

HI,

I work at a movie theater, in the concession department (I'm 16). I would really like to become a projectionist. I have talked about it with the main projectionist and the manager a couple of times and they seems cool. But so far i'm still in concession, can any of you projectionists give me any tips or advice on how to convince them to give me a chance.

Thanks,

Gilly

|  IP: Logged

Erich Loepke
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-1999 01:45 PM      Profile for Erich Loepke   Email Erich Loepke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

My advice to you (although I'm not a professional projectionist, at least not yet) is to learn as much as you can about film and film projection. Film-Tech is a really good place to start. I also recommend getting yourself a 16mm projector and some films. You'll then be able to learn good film handling and projection techniques. You'll get a feel for what a good presentation should be. You can find lots of projectors and films on online auctions like Ebay. Most of the films you'll find at reasonable prices will need some work to run acceptably, so you'll get the opportunity to learn proper splicing techniques that you can take up to the 35mm booth later, especially if you work in a second-run or repertory theater.

Then you can go to the concession stand and talk about the films you ran at home and you'll sound like someone who's interested in film and knows something about it.

Good luck in your endeavor!!

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-06-1999 08:52 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know most chains require you be 18 to be a projectionist, and they will make you become a manager first so you have to work your way up from concessions, unless you had previous film work before you got hired. I Recomend trying to take a college class in film, it helped me greatly with editing and knowing the terminology, heads tails etc...

also, don't go up to projection with buttery hands :-)

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-1999 09:27 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I was 17 when I was hired as a projectionist... in fact I just turned 18 last month. I don't think it was a big deal with management. As I look at it, how could intelligent managers turn down someone with enthusiasm, the desire to learn, and perhaps some background knowledge gained from Film-Tech and 16mm? The key word here being "intelligent" managers. And if they're not so bright, then you probably don't want to work for them anyway.

Yes, I understand the position you're in. Here's a thought... since you already work at the theater, perhaps you could ask to train in projection on your own time. I think your projectionist would be happy to do it since it means you're doing the threadups during his shift!...after you get good, anyway. Get to know the projectionist and the booth more, to increase your chances of being able to fill in there if needed. The training should always be an asset because at least you have that experience, should you go for a job elsewhere.

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-06-1999 09:30 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how your local projectionist union would feel about a 16 year old, non manager in concessions running projectors off the clock...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-06-1999 10:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a union booth? If so I don't think they would be too keen on such a practice. If not, learn what you can learn.

I'd recommend you find out what kind of equipment your particular theater has (example Simplex projectors, ORC lamphouse, SPECO platter) and download those manuals from the site and read them. You will learn a ton of information from those and they are just a free click of the mouse away. The projectionist might not want to let you train (although on your own free time is an excellent idea), but I'll bet he'll at least tell you what brand and model equipment they are running. If he won't, then you could search through the Picture Warehouse for pictures of the same equipment your theater uses. Just make sure next time you're in the booth to note anything printed largely on the equipment (such as "Autowind") and the color. Once you figure out what you've got, odds are the manuals are here for it.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-1999 10:44 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few 16 and 17 year olds working in my booth. Basically, they were the few floor employees who impressed me on a regular basis. That is probably your best bet. Do you job as well and as enthusiastically as you can.

Brett Rankin
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-1999 10:49 PM      Profile for Brett Rankin   Email Brett Rankin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're lucky!

I'm also 16, and have been collecting film for a few years. I've got a simplex in my garage, where I spend most of my time. I would definitely try and learn as much as you can from these sites as well as do a lot of reading on the matter. I've applied for just a concession job at several theaters and haven't had any of them call back (YET, I hope). Film is a lot of fun if you really get into it, so keep trying.

Good Luck

Brett

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-07-1999 11:46 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I have discovered about this is that occasionally the managers may not know that much about projection and film. Therefore, whatever technical knowledge you pick up may merely confuse them as to your ability in a booth setting. One way to counteract this is to volunteer, or assist with, various mechanical or electrical jobs on the floor. These can include such things as repair/replacement of floor track lighting, poster case repair, installation of door hardware, etc. Since a lot of projection is minor electrical and mechanical repair and adjustment, it helps to have these kind of "handyman" skills. Best of luck!!

-Mike

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-08-1999 02:28 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you work at the concession stand it wouldn't hurt to 'buy' the projectionist a hot dog or a slice of pizza once in a while!

Robert Saba
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-1999 02:33 AM      Profile for Robert Saba   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on whether your booth is union or not, just take it straight to the booth manager ONLY if you're truly interested. I currently work for a large chain, and they're not particularly picky about who they slap on the projection schedule, and I hate it. They're so bad that they even have them running movies by themselves their third day in projection. Anyway, let the booth manager know that you are desperately wanting in the booth. True, it's good to have older ones on the schedule, but that's mostly due to a larger availability and usually a little more maturity. Once you get up there, ASK QUESTIONS. You learn many new things every day on the job.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-1999 11:54 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit I like Randy's idea...

Bribery can work wonders...

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-13-1999 03:46 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can work at our place.....

I like bacon on my pizza.

Alan Brandt
Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2000 05:59 PM      Profile for Alan Brandt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't even bother working in the booth if the theater chain you are at uses speco platters or even cfs lamphouses. I have in the past while at Sony actually seen cfs lamphouses blow bulbs up while in mid show. Not to mention the stupid speco platters and their brain-wrapping all the time. Our theater ended up getting new platter systems at 3/4 price because the theater bitched at the supplier who sold them to us.

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2000 09:44 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What state do you live in? In PA. you are not allowed to work in a projection booth until you are 18. You can get an apprentice license at 17, but cannot work unsupervised.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: