Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Auditorium Floors - Cleaning & Painting

Author Topic: Auditorium Floors - Cleaning & Painting
Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 12-06-1999 01:22 AM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though this isn't really a projection question, I thought some of you might be able to answer it for me.

Ian and I are taking over an existing 5 screen theatre which has cement floors. As you can imagine, after 10 years of operation they could use some serious cleaning. Has anyone tried steam cleaning of aud. cement floors? Does it work? Can it be done without removing the seats (something I don't want to do)? What other methods have you used that have succeeded?

Now on to the paint question. Any preferences or suggestions about deck paint? I'm wondering about black, but will we be able to find the spilled Coke? Previous tenant painted the floors a reddish/rust color that has mostly worn off. Auditorium walls are mostly blueish/greenish walls with gray fabric seats with black plastic backs. I thought black deck paint wouldn't show if they got it on the seat footings. Also, if you have particularily good or bad luck with a specific brand, I'd like to know.

Thanks for your help.

|  IP: Logged

Charles Lubner
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-1999 09:52 AM      Profile for Charles Lubner   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Lubner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steam cleaning does work and you DON'T need to remove the seats. Contact a good carpet cleaning company, they have the equipment.

If you plan to paint, use a oil based enamel. The enamel makes it much more resistant to coke spills and easier to mop up. Don't use a latex, it will just wear off. If I were you, I'd stick with the same color, or try and match your wall fabric. Black will just make the theatre look small.......and give your regular janitor an excuse not to mop the floor every night!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-06-1999 12:13 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best way to paint the floor is to use a two part epoxy floor paint like is used for machine shop floors it will last for ever
well almost

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: