Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Identify these loudspeakers

Author Topic: Identify these loudspeakers
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-05-1999 11:13 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I give up. I worked for a year and a half at this place and never could figure out the model number of these loudspeakers. The label on the side says "Simplex Voice of the Theatre" and, in small letters, "Manufactured by Altec." These are obviously Altec products (though maybe not the cabinets) and they resemble a cross between the A-4 and the A-7. These are two-way systems with Altec N-500 crossovers. The 15" driver is an Altec 515 or 515B and the horns are Altec parts with 288 diaphragms. They're both taller and wider than A-7s. They are amazingly efficient; 1/4 watt is all that is needed on the dialogue channel to provide proper sound levels for the 500-seat theatre.

These were installed in about 1954 or 1955 as part of a Simplex mag sound/CinemaScope package, including mag penthouses, B&L CinemaScope lenses, a new, curved screen frame, and Altec amplifiers. Phone calls to Simplex and Altec were extremely unhelpful.

Does anyone here have any ideas? Has anyone ever seen these in another installation?

|  IP: Logged

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-1999 03:53 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Guttag identified these as the 'Simplex W'. They're apparently a part of an Altec sound package (including little green Altec Amp) that went with a Simplex projector package.

Somebody shrank your horn.

But joyriding stagehands haven't damaged your bodywork, so you're ahead...

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-06-1999 09:23 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok here you go Scott..

What you have/had are International Projector Corp's XL532-311 Speaker system. IPC offered 6 different speaker systems. The XL532-311 consisted of:

A high-frequency horn LU-1085 (aka Altec 805) or the LU-1086 (aka Altec 1005)

A High Frequency Driver LU-1104 (aka Altec 288B)

An appropiate throat for the HF horn you have.

An LU-1121 crossover network (I don't know of a direct Altec cross, on this unit you shorted two posts if you had two HF drivers to add an additional series capacitor)

The LF cabinet is the LU-1106 large cabinet with a single LU-1081 (aka Altec 515) driver.

Bill Hooper's speaker is nearly identical but it is the XL536-322 since it has the double 15 cabinet LU-1107 and the LU-1087 3x5 horn (aka Altec 1505). There should also be two HF drivers mounted to a y-throat.

The next level up got you two HF drivers mounted to a common horn (y-throat) and the super-primo-deluxe had two w-cabinets with dual drivers in them and the double driver HF unit with a 3x5 multi-cell horn.

Steve

------------------
"Old Projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-06-1999 12:27 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of Simplex system sent to canada had similar bass cabinets but the horn and all drivers were by Jenson

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-1999 10:03 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,
I installed a pair of these bass cabinets in the Stanley theatre in Utica, NY. I mounted them one atop the other. I put 515B's in each lf cabinet with an N500C network with 2 288 drivers on a 1505 horn.
The theatre has just put in a new pa system with speakers mounted above the proscenium.
Since the stagehands are tired of moving the Altec system around it looks like it will be retired.

------------------

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: