Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Toy Story in Digital EX

Author Topic: Toy Story in Digital EX
Raj Sheth
Film Handler

- posted 12-05-1999 04:25 AM      Profile for Raj Sheth   Email Raj Sheth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After being a big skeptic of Dolby Digital's EX upgrade, along comes Toy Story 2 to make it all worth while. Of course it took seven months to get right, but it's worth it. There are several scenes where the EX channel is very noticable. I am glad to have finally found a film that puts the new EX technology to proper use. Has anyone else noticed this with this film?

|  IP: Logged

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-05-1999 03:53 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You expressed my sentiments exactly! Toy Story 2 has one of the best sound mixes I have heard this year. When we were screening the print, at one point we thought we heard someone coming into the auditorium from the door in the back, but it was an EX effect.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-05-1999 07:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! We must be the only three people on this forum with EX. But I totally agree, the EX track in Toy Story 2 is nothing short of phenomenal. I'm not sure what went wrong with all of the other EX movies, but after seeing Toy Story 2 in EX, I don't think I would care to watch in in non-EX.

Let's hear it for Gary Rydstrom! He did a great job mixing the movie and taking advantage of the EX channel and put the subwoofer to excellent use as well. He sure knows how to make them really rumble. His recordings of various sounds sounded 100% REAL, especially in the surrounds. Good goin', Gary!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-08-1999 10:09 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I also feel that EX is well worth the effort to install. Toy Story 2 is fantastic in the formatand the track is as much fun as the story. I had just finished installing an 8 plex and used Genuine Dolby EX in the two large auditoriums. We also installed the new large JBL 3 way systems in Baffle walls in these auditoriums as well. Ya gotta hear em to believe it. They are really about the best reproduced sound I have heard in a theater. Anyone else out there used em yet?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-08-1999 03:48 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always wanted to develop a soft matrix method of adding Le and Re into a wide screened theatre from existing 3 channel stage array to fill in the holes
With the newer ultra wide screens the holes between the stage speakers are very noticable

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: