Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projectionist's Dictionary (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Projectionist's Dictionary
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-04-1999 04:15 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking of writing up a dictionary of terms and words that projectionists use.

The original idea came to me on one of those nights when somebody called me up on the radio and said that 'something' is wrong with the picture in Thea. #x. I went there and looked, only to find everything OK. After a long question and answer session with the person, it turned out to be somehting really stupid.

At first it was a serious venture and it became more humorous as things went on...

"Dirt in the Aperture" became "SHRUBBERY" (Use a Monty Python accent)

"Out of Lip-Sync" became "Chinese Disease" (Think about those 'bad' Kung-Fu movies.)

Any other ideas? Maybe, if I get motivated, I'll compile a list and 'publish' it. (Or has somebody else alredy?)

|  IP: Logged

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-04-1999 05:47 PM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about framing being referred to as tracking (i.e.: VHS). Customers are more used to things from home and try to apply these to film presentation.

-Mike

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-04-1999 06:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One issue of film notes had a Lexicon of terminology

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-1999 06:43 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a customer talk about the"50/50" adjustment (framing).

Erich Loepke
Film Handler

- posted 12-04-1999 09:18 PM      Profile for Erich Loepke   Email Erich Loepke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about these?

"Video tape" instead of "film"

"Camera" instead of "projector"

Several times on Ebay I've seen people selling 16mm projectors refer to them as "cameras"!

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-05-1999 12:45 AM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally love when you get a request from someone to "rewind" it because they missed a part.
here's a few
"motorboating" - sound clamp not engaged
"jitters" - loose bolt on turret
"its raining" - dirty film (REALLY dirty from shitty arthouse)

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-1999 12:46 AM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What bugs me is when people use the word "brain" instead of "center feed" or "payout assembly". I'm guilty of using that word myself actually. It's a bad habit. I can't explain why I don't like that word. I first heard it spoken by a manager I used to work for who was bragging about the frequent "brain wraps" he had. I had to ask him what he was talking about

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-05-1999 12:52 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy- I have a projectionist's glossary of popular ( and not-so-popular) terms used in the theatrical exhibition industry... Its a 'serious' listing although I have been meaning to also do a 'humorous' version of it as well

Aaron

Christopher A Kerr
Film Handler

- posted 12-05-1999 11:35 AM      Profile for Christopher A Kerr   Email Christopher A Kerr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the reel notes "LEGENDARY LEXICON OF PROJECTION!" including such goodies as:

DIRTY PICTURE SYNDROME : A manifestation of dirty minds and deeds such that the film in your booth tends to get dirty...

HICKEYMAJIGGER : The spring loaded locking mechanism that holds the take up reel on the reel arm spindle.

MURPHY'S LAW : If anything can go wrong, it will -- at the worst possible time, that is, the film will break and the takeup drive motor will burn out just before General Custer shouts "CHARGE"!!

THINGAMABOB : The thing that whatsisface gave you to put on the projector that is supossed to cut your work in half but you never got around to it. (You are now running 8 projectors at once and don't have time to install thingamabobs.)

WHATSISFACE : Your manager, his manager, the owner, or the person you introduce to a newcomer in the booth.

All this plus more!!! It even has all kinds of useful definitions. It would be willing to post it, or scan it ad send it in.

Cheers
Chris
Please don't feed the projectionist.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-1999 11:35 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
George, as more and more managers (who have no technical background) are being forced to take over booth responsibilities, I think the term "brain-wrap" is what happens to these people when they look at the mess of film now snarled around the pay-out assembly. Looking at this in hopeless terror, their brains become wraped (or is it warped?).

These people have also developed their own terminology. I recently heard the term "snakes" used to describe the effect of static-infested film on a platter.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-05-1999 12:40 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always hate it when I get a call saying we have a "Peerless Projector"
how much is it worth
They can't understand that the Magnarc lamphouse isn'tt the projector
A real Peerless projector is worth a lot though

Mathias Andersson
Film Handler

- posted 12-05-1999 12:55 PM      Profile for Mathias Andersson   Email Mathias Andersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Sweden many people ask:
"What are you broadcasting tonight"
They think it's a TV-station!

Wallace Logan
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-1999 06:41 AM      Profile for Wallace Logan   Email Wallace Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the theatre I work at there suppost to turn off all switches at the end of the night
but I have come in the next day to find not
only is the rack left on so is the lamp.
I also don`t like the word brainwrap the first time I heard it I had to ask what it was.

Wally

------------------

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-1999 10:51 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding Gordon's comment about the "Peerless Projector..."

I guess the early manufacturers of the Simplex could be somewhat guilty. Take a look at page 6 of the "Simplex Deluxe Projector Sales Book" in the Manual Downloads page (Miscellaneous section).

BTW, talking about terminology...what about the prevailing tendency of calling a xenon lamp a "bulb?" The box it comes in says "lamp," and you install it in a "lamp"-house, not a "bulb"-house. Besides which, the overall physical form of the lamp is not bulbous, unlike an ordinary lightbulb. Just curious...

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-07-1999 11:09 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I dislike "brainwrap" also. I've tried to move people to say, "platterwrap," but of course there's always someone who keeps saying "brainwrap." One person can 'reset' others to bad habits.

When I train people, I make them say the correct name or term for parts or actions. While there will always be a slight difference in terminology, I'm not going to let them get away with calling the intermittent a, "jiggler;" or a sprocket a "roller."

What I tell them is: imagine you are on the phone, talking to a service tech. You have to describe what is wrong, without the tech being able to see. I word it that way, so they can see that it's in their own best interest to be accurate: he can't help you if he doesn't know what you are saying. And no one is more desperate than a newbie with a problem in the booth. If they say there is something wrong with "the sprocket," which one? If they say, "the upper sprocket" that could still mean one of three.

If the film is jumping (up and down quickly) people will say "flicker" which means varying light brightness. A few times I have heard, "the picture is off the screen" which turn out to be the aperture plate was at the wrong setting. Although, once I forgot to close the turret all the way......

One term people seem to have trouble with at first is "in frame," because it's used a little differently in different places. You thread "in frame." If you don't, that knob puts the film "in frame." When you splice, you should make sure the splice is "in frame."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: