Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Changing resistors on an AW3R

Author Topic: Changing resistors on an AW3R
Masao Garcia
Film Handler

- posted 12-04-1999 03:03 AM      Profile for Masao Garcia   Email Masao Garcia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the resistors for one of my Christie AW3R platters has gone bad and you can see a hole forming from electricity. I was wondering if a resistor is easily replaceable (i.e. remove some washer and a screw and put a new one on) or if it should be done by a trained technician. Thanks for any info.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-1999 05:03 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never done it, but I have some spares just in case. It does not look to be too hard, and you should be able to do it yourself (If I remember correctly they bolt on, and there are two wires that need to be soldered onto it). Obviously you should stop using that particular platter, as you don't know what it will do with this resistor going nuts.

You work for Cinemark, right? If so, what region are you in and who is your engineer?

Masao Garcia
Film Handler

- posted 12-04-1999 01:03 PM      Profile for Masao Garcia   Email Masao Garcia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I work for Cinemark. I'm in California, so I guess it's the Southwest Region? I don't really like going into the managers' office and would much rather call the Booth my office.

From looking at the AW3R manual, it seems pretty simple, but I'm not exactly steady with a soldering iron and wouldn't trust myself with equipment that's not mine, if you know what I mean.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-1999 02:31 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I am remembering it correctly, it is one wire soldered onto each terminal, which doesn't require a great deal of skill. If you don't have a manual, I am pretty sure there is one on this site, if not, it is availible in Christie's site.

You might want to go ahead and contact your tech and see what he wants you to do.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: