Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Star Wars Re-release (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Star Wars Re-release
Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-1999 12:19 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just wondering if anyone can report on the quality of the Star Wars Episode One re-release. Are the prints in good condition? Are these screenings being tucked away in the smaller auditoriums? Just curious.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-1999 02:36 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print we got is scratched. We put it in a mid-size (200 seat) house.

Mark Tiedemann
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-1999 05:17 PM      Profile for Mark Tiedemann   Email Mark Tiedemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One the print we received, there was about 3 minutes of footage missing in reel 4. Also, there was quit a bit of sprocket damage in all of the reels, and the tail for the last reel was missing.

We put it in our smallest house.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-03-1999 05:24 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3 minutes of footage missing? THAT can't be such a bad thing...

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-1999 06:40 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Print I recieved wasn't in too bad of condition, no scratches, just some dirt on the reel changes which isn't surprising and easily fixed. I put it in a medium sized house (250)
My Question: Is Lucas re-releasing this for charity? or, for Christmas merchandising/ Oscar nominations? hmmm... tough one there...

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-03-1999 06:46 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar nominations?

Maybe for Yoda as Best Jedi Master in a token cameo role.

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-1999 06:59 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In order to be different and artistic, I would be supprised if the next pre-quel comes to a theater near you in glorous View-Master!

But, alas, if a theater can be a good neighbor and help a few people with a charity show, I'm all for it regaurdless of other motives.

--Chris

Kelsey Black
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-1999 07:02 PM      Profile for Kelsey Black   Email Kelsey Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if any of us are lucky, we'll get one-another's filmguarded prints... I know that the one I got and filmguarded was in GREAT condition when I got through with it.
good luck everyone.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-04-1999 12:04 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our print seems to have some focus problem; I just can't get it as sharp as I think it should be. It has a slight lengthwise 'curl' to it; it doesn't seem heat embossed.. don't know what's going on. Other than that, it's pretty good; no scratches or 'extra' splices.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-04-1999 12:14 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print we got at TT17 is pretty good!

It was wound emulsion IN / head OUT and all the splices were one sided with TWO I.D. frames. Although I don't agree with the emulsion IN, I can see that whoever did it knew what he was doing.

All the splices were made with a "Hollywood" splicer, too. Not too many people use those and out of that subset of people, not too many know how to use them RIGHT. (I know I've tried. It takes practice, baby!) That's my second clue that whoever had that print knew what he was doing. (Okay, maybe 'she')

There were no scratches and very little dirt. I F.G.ed the print and it looks prety 'cherry'! It looks a but 'soft' in the focus but in might be my proj. I'm working on that.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-06-1999 12:47 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but why do you need TWO reference frames?

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-1999 12:54 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the movie at the new Jordan Commons theatre in Utah. I can't give the projectionist's viewpoint on it but, from the customer's point of view... The print was a little dusty in places but, otherwise, in great shape. The only green scratch was for a few seconds in the closing credits. Overall, a great presentation in DTS. I happen to like this movie anyway... and this was a great way to see it again.

Raj Sheth
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-1999 02:39 AM      Profile for Raj Sheth   Email Raj Sheth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that our print doesn't kick into Digital for most of the film. We are running it in a Dolby Digital house with a penthouse reader. The error rate is almost a constant 7 or 7.5. Anyone else having this problem?

------------------
"I sometimes realize
that I can only be as
good as you'll let me."
- Eddie Vedder

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-07-1999 06:44 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try FIlm-Guarding the print and that may hide enough of the perf area scuffing that is corrupting the frame grabber and the error rate may drop lowenough to work

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-08-1999 02:18 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't cut off two ID frames, but when you see certain things like that you get a clue that whoever did it had some idea of what he was doing. I don't particularly agree with a few of the things I see, now and then but how the heck am I going to tell some guy who's been runing projectors for 25 years that he shouldn't cut off two frames.

I just meant that you can tell what condition the film is going to be in from just a few clues like that. (eg: If you open up a can to find a tangle of film, you can pretty much bet the film will be in crappy condition.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: