Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The heaviest thing you ever had to pack up or down to the booth (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The heaviest thing you ever had to pack up or down to the booth
Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-28-1999 01:00 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The heaviest thing I did (with lots of help) was the cast iron Simplex XL pedestals. You know the ones that are 1 inch thick cast iron.

Ever try moving a Cinemeccanica Tower by yourself? Instant Workman's comp!

|  IP: Logged

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-28-1999 01:18 AM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Norelco AAII (with both top and bottom motors).

------------------

Scott

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-28-1999 03:14 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do three Strong Highlight consoles (without the switching [read lightweight] power supplies) count? (with help of course hehe

I have also been involved in the moving of a Norelco AAII down a flight of MARBLE steps (being oh, so careful not to damage either the AA or the marble)

Removing old motor-generators down from a booth can be daunting as well...

Aaron

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-1999 03:39 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee... All three of my booths have elevator access...

Gotta love new theatres..

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-28-1999 04:18 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geeze, you guys all have me beat by a long shot. The heaviest thing I ever had to carry up to the booth was a replacement rectifier(about 70lbs.).

-Mike

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-28-1999 03:23 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heaviest Items
Motiograph Universal bases,
Irem 7Kw rectifier
Simplex cast base
Altec A4's
Imax reel unit

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-1999 10:20 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The heaviest thing for me was a pair of Century pedestals. But they didn't have to go down any stairs as the booth was on ground level, and I had help. So it wound up not being nearly as bad as some large movies I've had to haul around.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-1999 02:17 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't involved with moving these but was at the theatre when they had to haul 14 complete consoles and tri-amped soundracks up about 4 flights of stairs. Nothing like seeing big burly professional movers having problems with that one.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-29-1999 04:17 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about the screen to the video wall, which was roughly 5 feet wide or so. I didn't have to do that by myself (there would be no way in the world). It was very large and I'm surprised we got it through some doorways and around corners.

Rob Boynton
Film Handler

- posted 11-29-1999 06:44 AM      Profile for Rob Boynton   Email Rob Boynton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When We went to move the projector into the last theatre I was at we found out that they wouldn't fit up the stairs. We cut a big hole in the outside wall and used a forklift. Ok, not heavy but amusing none the less

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-1999 01:03 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Joe!

That screen was 8 feet wide. It took four of us to carry it up an auditorium. I have since learned to order the standard frame. It is half the wieght.

The heaviest thing I have helped carry recently was a handycap lift. It weighted at least 600 lbs. UA was pulling it out of a closed Showscan Theatre.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-29-1999 03:20 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The heaviest THING I've carried is the Simplex Proj, base & lamphouse.... Up to the booth at M.H. College. That's not TOO bad.

However, I was working for the construction phase of Tinseltown 17...

I helped unload 2 Semi-trailers full of speakers on my first day of work, then unloaded 4 semis full of auditorium seats (About 3500) on my first week. The second week was all of the popcorn poppers and the third week, we unloaded all of the projectors. At least we had furniture dollies...

I helped build a log cabin style house and it was less work. Lemme' tell ya'... I was in PAIN for a month! But I've never enjoyed working so hard in my life.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-29-1999 03:40 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually we had to move a whole bunch of Christie projector/lamphouse combo's out of the booth at a UA that was closing. We wheeled them out but I think that they each weighed more total than the 8 foot video wall screen.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-1999 12:35 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a time the boss wanted to remove the 6 foot high candy bar vending machine from the lobby. He told us to take it up to the booth. That thing was fully loaded with candy and we had 5 people trying to get it up the long flight of stairs to the booth from the outside of the building. Needless to say, the strap broke on the hand truck and it came sliding back at us (I was one of 3 guys on the bottom, there were 2 guys pulling at the top). Boy did we move fast! I almost got smashed big time. The candy machine was totaled. Never did make to the booth.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-1999 01:05 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, don't forget that we moved the Christie projection equipment out in the middle of the night and in secret so the mall wouldn't know. That was a joke, we practicaly had the security guards holding the doors for us. I didn't appriciate going home for two days in the morning rush hour.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: