Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » On flats WITHOUT cores...

Author Topic: On flats WITHOUT cores...
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-25-1999 05:07 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why, oh why?

We have been running a few festivals lately and there are sooooooo many films coming in on flats (but that's ok) but without cores! Just what the &$#@ are you supposed to do to get this thing made up without damaging it? Obviously, they were wound onto a core, so why then would you then push it out? Are cores so expensive (!) that you have to save every last one for yourself?

Sheesh!

------------------
John

|  IP: Logged

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-25-1999 09:35 AM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been there, done that. I know what you mean. Is the print from out of the country? As I understand it, there are some places that charge an export fee on the plastic cores, so they remove them from the film to avoid the fee, at least that is what I was told.

------------------

Scott

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-1999 03:05 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only prints we have recieved that way were Indian movies that were already so badly damaged that we didn't really worry about it...

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-26-1999 03:44 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most were Mexican. 6 different prints in one weekend and not a single core to be seen. They came by way of Indonesia.

Chuck O'Connor
Film Handler

- posted 11-27-1999 03:07 AM      Profile for Chuck O'Connor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding film received without cores.
Have been there, done that.
Here is what has worked for me,
Take a core that is smaller than
the open hole, then pack foam between
the core and the film roll. This usually
saves tearing up the film with the pin
on the split reels. Good luck...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-27-1999 01:37 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goldberg makes the ASIAN SPLIT REEL
that ahs a expandable core centre
It is expensive around $250.00

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-27-1999 05:04 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Chuck. I do that when I can, unfortunately these guys had pushed out the smallest core there is, so there was no room to play.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: