Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 3-D projection (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: 3-D projection
Mike Bianchi
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-1999 09:39 PM      Profile for Mike Bianchi   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Bianchi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering if anybody else out there likes 3-D and/or has experience with it.

We've been an active 3-D venue for a couple years and had great luck with it. I've found with a good bulb and proper setup, it is a fantastic format (IMHO).

The problem now is availability of titles. This year Kit Parker films would not guarantee "House Of Wax" - which tells me if they won't stand behind it, given the poor condition of their prints, then it must really be trashed.

So, does anybody know of other titles that may be available and who has the rights to them?

Our town loves the format, we just need new films to show..

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-23-1999 09:46 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Toronto we regularly run a 3d festival
the last one used the following prints
Dial M for Murder Warner
House of Wax Warner
Friday 13th 3d Paramount
Metalstorm Don't know who

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-23-1999 09:51 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about;

"Jaws-3D"
That b&w 3 Stooges 3D short forget the name
"Dial "M" for Murder."
"Friday the 13th" forget which one
"Comin' at Ya!" not very good, but 3D.

I'm sure Scott N. would know many more, and good ones.

------------------

Mike Bianchi
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-1999 09:54 PM      Profile for Mike Bianchi   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Bianchi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, responses are quick here!

We've been told there are no remaining 3-D prints of Jaws 3.

We've run Dial-M but WB pulled it - hopefully they've re-released it.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-1999 10:08 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 3 Stooges print is "Spooks".

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-24-1999 09:14 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "Creature From The Black Lagoon" and "It Came From Outer Space" as a double feature in 3D once

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-24-1999 09:36 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Spooks" was the name? Jeez, I can't remember anything anymore....

People loved it. There's a really fake scene where someone throws a bottle directly at the camera (it's full of typical 3D shots like that.) You can see the wires holding the bottle, but the whole thing is so stupid-funny that everyone laughs.

I really give Hitchcock credit for not being brow-beaten into using '3D type' shots in "Dial.."

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-24-1999 03:46 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They probably pulled Dial M while that other Michael Douglas version was being released. Try them again (now that it has bombed and been forgotten)

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-24-1999 09:41 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also 'Amityville 3-D'
and 'Spacehunter:Adventures in the Forbidden Zone'

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-24-1999 09:41 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also 'Amityville 3-D'
and 'Spacehunter:Adventures in the Forbidden Zone'

-Aaron

Mike Bianchi
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-1999 10:54 PM      Profile for Mike Bianchi   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Bianchi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hitch's use of camera angles around stationary objects was a perfect marriage with 3D. I love the living room scenes in "M" with the camera behind the bar and the liquor bottles sitting in about the 3rd row.
Those are all great titles everyone's mentioned, the trick is finding distributors and prints...

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-27-1999 02:43 PM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own prints from
Treasures of the 4 crowns, perfect example picture effect and soundwise, format Sirioscope.
And Silent Madness, a film famous at gore buffs for it's power drill for brain sequence. This one's another crazy killer to extinguish high school crap product, but it's Arrivision 3D.

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-27-1999 02:46 PM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do also have lenses for Sirioscope/Arriscope of the 80's, but more important a lens for a format named Sterikon K, made by Zeiss-Ikon of Germany in 1937. The pictures are recorded side by side within the standard 1:1.17 frame, and rotated 90 degrees with a prismatic converter. Does anybody know of existing films?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-27-1999 05:11 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMAX 3D is something that really must be seen to be believed. It is so sharp and realistic you actually believe that outside the portglass is, for example, Galapagos Island when running "Galapagos". I got to run a preview of "Cirque De Soliel - Journey of Man" yesterday and it was very, very good. Many times the Imax 3D's tend to be bereft of any cohesive story and just an amalgum of different potential ride films. This one is definately sending the image upmarket and correcting that fault.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-27-1999 06:10 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting 3d short is Sea Dream in spacevision
I didn't know that siroscope was used for production and not just a projection lens

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: