Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Booth Clocks (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Booth Clocks
Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-1999 02:22 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a few years since I've worked as a projectionist, but in my prime I was obsessed with precision. And, among the things I cared about was starting movies at precisely the right time. I often listened to a shortwave radio to synchronize my watch precisely with the Atomic Clock in Colorado. I knew that after I pressed the "start" button on a projector it took 8 seconds before the machine was up to speed and the first frame of the film was on the screen. So, as you can easily conclude, if a film was scheduled to start at 8:00 then I would press that start button at exactly 7:59:52.

I realized that, statistically, nobody in my audiences knew or cared about "the exactly correct time," but I always hoped there was someone out there who shared my obsession and would appreciate hearing his wristwatch chime beeping at exactly the same time that the movie started.

So, while I don't expect many of you to be "time freaks" (like I've been labeled by friends and enemies) I do expect a lot of you to be "precision freaks" (which seems to fit the character of a projectionist). My question is, how do you ensure that the clocks in your lobbies, box offices and projection booths are synchronized so that your customers know when it's time to step out of the popcorn line and find their seats? Or do you care?

If I were working in a theatre today, I'd force the boss to buy a few of those new radio controlled clocks and hang them around the building (because they automatically show the "atomic" time as received from the Colorado master clock), or to buy the less expensive kits and I'd assemble them myself (on company time, of course)... but that's just me.

So... am I the only time freak who ever decided when to press the start button in a booth?

|  IP: Logged

Kelsey Black
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-1999 02:30 PM      Profile for Kelsey Black   Email Kelsey Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
haha, no, I do the same thing... however, not as accurate as you.. I am in a small town right now, and the majority of the clocks in town are set to one time.... the school bells. so I set my wristwatch to the second to the school bell, and then I try to have the first frame projected on screen within about 10-15 seconds of the starting time...
of course there are always exceptions, such as when we sell out early, or there are a few minutes extra of previews (I like the actual movie to start 10 minutes after showtime) and if it's a really slow night and nobody shows until 5 minutes after, or other things that can come up.
generally, about 95% of the time, I start it "right on time"

BTW, I wish I had a "start" button. no automation whatsoever! (not even remote pushbuttons to turn things on/off)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-23-1999 02:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You would love some of the newer automations today. They have a digial clock and you can program the exact start time for the entire week in there. So long as it's threaded, it'll start to the second.

Personally, I try and get the film running about 1-2 minutes early. There's 5 minutes worth of everyone's favorite "Screenvision" ads that no one wants to see anyway, and it prevents a customer who's watch is running fast from complaining. So for me, the traditional countdown timers are more than accurate.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-23-1999 03:07 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to do the same thing; I'd check my watch against WWV. Now, my digital cell phone displays a very accurate clock (I've checked it against WWV and a GPS system we were testing at my day job.)

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-1999 05:00 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too, must admit to a somewhat retentive obsession with correct time. I have set my alarm watch to go off at five minutes before 1:00 P.M. (to give me time to get to the car radio to check my Timex against the Dominion time signal broadcast at 1:00 PM daily on C.B.C.)
It was, therefore with great confidence, that I set the time on all the CPA-10 computers in a complex I installed in the Laval section of Montreal, a few years ago. It just so happened that management had scheduled all theatres to start their first show at 1:00 P.M.
Proudly, I watched as all ten theatres started up at exactly 1:00. The pride was short-lived, however as they all shut down five seconds later due to a blown fuse in the main supply panel. Seems the fuse couldn't take the inrush of all xenons striking at the same time. Oh well.

Ed Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-1999 12:15 AM      Profile for Ed Johnson   Email Ed Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting that you should mention syncronizing the clocks in the lobby. At the 15-plex where I have worked (a 3 year old theatre) the lobby and hallways are completely free of clocks. In fact, there is not a single clock in view of a customer. When I first started working there I mentioned it to a manager. I was told that when the building was built there were plans to install clocks in the lobby but the corporation wouldn't allow it. I guess the theory is that if a customer doesn't know the time they won't not know whether they are late for their movie. Thus, they won't feel any pressure to rush to the theatre and will be more likely to stand in a line for the consession stand. I don't know if this what actually happened, but I guess it would agree with normal corporate sentiment: profit, profit, profit.

It does get annoying having to constantly tell watch-less customers what time it is.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-24-1999 06:06 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the Christie CA21 automations, and each unit has its own individual clock. We set them to the atomic clock every month or so. Just so long as the timer was set to start at the correct time (which does not always happen, due to the fact that we are far too stupid to convert the 12 hour time our schedules use to the 24 hour time the clock uses), the movie will start EXACTLY on time. Some of the CA21 clocks tend to drift a bit fast or slow, depending on the unit, which is weird.

What I wish I had was one central clock that all of the automations would be tied into. Would make changing from daylights saving time and back a snap.

I used to always start my movies 1 minute early when I worked at United Artists where we didn't have any timers. We had STRONG barcode automations. At my present company we don't have quite as many ads, just Coke, MoviePhone and Hollywood online. So we start them on time. I don't really see much of a need to start them early to avoid complaints, because if a movie DOES NOT start on time, people always wait at least 10 to 15 minutes before complaining anyway!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-29-1999 01:41 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I call 1-900-410-TIME.

That's the atomic clock at the National Naval Observatory in Maryland (I THINK it's in MD.)

Yes, It's a 900 number but it's only 50 cents a minute. They charge you for it because they have to use special phone switches to minimize the time delay in the phone lines. It only takes me one or two minutes to set my watch. My watch stays accurate for about 2-3 months in the summer and 1-2 in the winter. (Temperature affects the quartz time base, ya know!) I reset it when it gets 30 seconds off.

I can say with 90% certainty that my watch is no more than +/- 30 sec. to the REAL time. I have actually won bets on this.

I feel that 30 sec is the level of precision that makes the most sense...

1) MOST people when asked the time will round off to the 5 minutes. SOME people will round off to the 1 munute. VERY FEW people will go the the second.

2) You can't set your watch any closer than about a second, because of the time delay in the phone lines or radio AND because you can't press the button on your watch any faster.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-29-1999 03:35 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can call 303-499-7111 and get the "official" time from an atomic clock for free. I think that it's the National Bureau of Standards' clock ,but I'm not really sure offhand.

At the theatre, we just had a little button in the back of the theatre; it was connected to a doorbell in the booth. When it was time to start the show, one of the ushers would ring the bell and I would dim the lights and start the film. Usually we ran about 5-10 minutes late (single-screen small-town art-house), but we also didn't run more than one or two trailers per show.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-29-1999 03:44 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man if there was a doorbell device in my booth, I'm sure I would have killed many ushers by now because you know they would abuse it to no end. They just love ringing the loud clanging bell in the elevator as it is. Kids.

Stephen Winner
Film Handler

- posted 11-29-1999 09:11 PM      Profile for Stephen Winner   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Winner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have been using walkie-talkies for much of our communication. The box office can inform me if we have a real blockbuster, and they are having a hard time moving everyone in on time and such, or if there's a long line at the popcorn. Since it's 4 flights of steps up to our booth, if an usher sees a minor picture problem, only detectible from the front row or something, he can notify me by radio. Works good for security purposes too, like if a laser pointer is spotted, an usher will radio me to raise the lights and stop the film!

Anybody else using radios or intercoms in their theaters?

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-1999 04:29 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have radios. One channel is for all the floor activity, the other is for the booth.

Of course, being the last of the old style Cinemark Tinseltowns, we also have the talking trashcans.. I swear, if I ever catch the ushers who broadcast the trashcan over the booth channel, I will hurt them...

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-1999 04:33 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, It's a 900 number but it's only 50 cents a minute

Cheapest & probably most accurate is to listen to a local radio station. Top of the hour network newscasts usually start dead on the second. Find a station running CBS news for best results: when you hear the BING, that's x:00:00. Network news with only vox at the top of the cast may be off as the announcer inhales, swallows, or runs back from the bathroom.

Beware of some talk stations that run everything (including net feeds) through a delay.

James Dunn
Film Handler

- posted 11-30-1999 11:47 AM      Profile for James Dunn   Email James Dunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use radios to communicate between the booth and the floor in our 8-plex. Works out pretty well until we catch a random bit of conversation from the truckers passing by on the interstate next to the theatre. lol

As for times at our theatre, don't even get me started. Our box office has one time, concession stand another, and the manager has his own time. I decided a while back to go by the managers time. Everything decision he makes, he goes by HIS watch. So if I'm using any other time standard I'm going to be too slow or too fast.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-1999 12:29 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my new theatre we are going to avoid using radios. We are getting a new phone from Siemens that has one base station and up to 8 handsets. The handsets can talk to one another. Now all we have to do is figure out how to keep the employees off of the phone. That shouldn't be too hard in a small five-plex.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: